Coffee House

Government score an own goal on citizens’ rights resignation

27 February 2019 20:10

This evening the government accepted an amendment to ensure the EU citizens’ rights package in the Withdrawal Agreement still stands…

Spectator Books: how angels have changed through history

27 February 2019 18:03

In this week’s Spectator Books I’m talking to Peter Stanford, author of Angels: A Visible and Invisible History. Why is…

Chris Williamson has been suspended from the Labour Party

27 February 2019 17:50

It’s been a long time coming, but the Corbynite MP, Chris Williamson, has finally been suspended from Labour following his…

Has the Independent Group ‘revolution’ fallen flat already?

27 February 2019 17:24

Ten days since the start of the Great February Revolution (as historians are unlikely to call it) and the breakaway…

Has the Prime Minister snubbed the Liaison Committee?

27 February 2019 17:12

In November last year, Theresa May was hauled in front of the Liaison Committee (a super committee made up of…

My evening with Jacob Rees-Mogg — live at the London Palladium

27 February 2019 13:56

A woman dressed as a nun is standing outside the London Palladium with a placard, warning about ‘an evening with…

Watch: Kate Hoey’s damning verdict on the Independent Group

27 February 2019 12:50

Labour’s shift towards a second referendum has not gone down well with the party’s MP for Vauxhall. So will Kate…

Netanyahu’s desperate bid to cling to power

27 February 2019 12:08

He struck at dawn, 25 years ago this week. As Jews marked Purim and Muslims Ramadan, Baruch Goldstein walked unchallenged…

Watch: Sajid Javid gets into a muddle over Brexit

27 February 2019 11:53

Brexit is confusing for the best of us, but Mr S. would hope that the Home Secretary would at least…

Donald Trump faces a big problem in his meeting with Kim Jong-un

27 February 2019 11:23

Donald Trump’s meeting with Kim Jong-un in Hanoi is a diplomatic triumph for Pyongyang. For the second time in under a year,…

A Brexit delay would be bad news for Britain’s economy

27 February 2019 10:42

It would stop us crashing out. It would give us enough time to negotiate a free-trade deal. It would allow…

Seven things we learnt from an evening with Jacob Rees-Mogg

26 February 2019 22:02

This evening Jacob Rees-Mogg joined Rod Liddle in being able to say he has sold out the London Palladium for…

My suggestions for Justin Welby’s Brexit prayers

26 February 2019 18:46

Would anyone like to join me in the “Five Days of Prayer” that Archbishop Welby has announced to mark the…

The EU must budge on the backstop if it wants to avoid no deal

26 February 2019 17:37

The European Union does not want ‘no-deal’. Neither do the majority of people or politicians in the UK. Most of us…

Watch: Theresa May channels her inner meerkat

26 February 2019 13:54

Shortly after she came to power, Theresa May’s stilted delivery, robotic responses and inability to answer even the simplest of questions…

Why I find the George Pell verdict hard to believe

26 February 2019 13:44

Sorry. I just don’t believe it. The conviction of George Pell – still Cardinal Pell – last December, on which…

May offers MPs a vote to prevent no-deal Brexit

26 February 2019 13:28

Faced with the prospect of defeat on an amendment to stop no deal, Theresa May has attempted to stave off…

Jeremy Corbyn’s Brexit betrayal is complete

26 February 2019 13:15

Let us consider the gravity of Jeremy Corbyn’s announcement that Labour will push for a second referendum. In siding with…

Amber Rudd, Greg Clark and David Gauke labelled ‘kamikaze’ ministers in tense Cabinet

26 February 2019 12:48

Today’s Cabinet was not a happy affair. I’m told that Liam Fox, Gavin Williamson and Andrea Leadsom all made clear…

In praise of speaking ill of the dead

26 February 2019 11:40

There’s quite a few writers who are sensitive souls, and the worst are those who like to dish it out…

Could Japan and Russia be close to ending the Kuril Islands dispute?

26 February 2019 7:30

Between Japan and Russia in the Sea of Okhotsk, lie the Kuril Islands. Ever since 1945, when the Soviet Union…

The dramatic shift in the prime minister’s no-deal Brexit position

25 February 2019 22:52

The prime minister is tonight preparing a dramatic shift in her Brexit policy, namely an announcement that if her reworked…

Exclusive: Tony Blair responds to Labour’s second referendum policy

25 February 2019 22:30

In yet another dramatic twist in the Brexit saga, Jeremy Corbyn announced this evening that Labour would now back a…

Sparks fly at Parliamentary Labour Party meeting on second referendum

25 February 2019 20:29

Jeremy Corbyn’s announcement that the Labour party is prepared to back another EU referendum to prevent a ‘damaging Tory Brexit’…

Jeremy Corbyn backs a ‘public vote’ on Brexit

25 February 2019 18:08

Jeremy Corbyn will tell Labour MPs tonight that the party will back a public vote on Brexit. This is the…