Coffee House

The BBC’s obsession with diversity has ruined Gardeners’ Question Time

5 May 2019 17:47

There’s nothing wrong with radio continuity announcers; one is a friend of mine and he’s very sharp. But the doubts…

Israel Folau and the right to freedom of expression

5 May 2019 14:51

Australian rugby player Israel Folau’s disciplinary hearing, which is set to determine whether he will lose his AUS$4m mega-contract for…

Sunday shows round-up: John McDonnell says he doesn’t trust Theresa May

5 May 2019 14:28

Andrew Marr’s chief guest of the day was Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell. McDonnell put considerable pressure on the ongoing Brexit…

How ‘right wing’ became the smear for those we disagree with

5 May 2019 10:09

Until recently, the rules on political labelling were clear. If you voted Labour, supported Remain and expressed how much you…

Interview with Andrew Adonis: a master of social media

5 May 2019 9:20

The news over Easter that Lord Adonis, the counterweight to nominative determinism, was standing as a Labour Remain MEP was…

Roger Scruton’s treatment shows the moral cowardice of the Tories 

5 May 2019 8:00

In his vindication of Sir Roger Scruton, Douglas Murray quite rightly refers to the affair as ‘a biopsy of a…

What a May / Corbyn Brexit deal would look like

4 May 2019 10:52

The local election results showed that both main parties are paying a price for the Brexit impasse. This, as I…

Gavin Williamson’s cheerful goodbye

4 May 2019 8:37

When the former defence secretary Gavin Williamson was fired from his position on Wednesday, for allegedly leaking information related to…

The truth about Noah Carl

4 May 2019 8:15

My great friend Dr Noah Carl joins a group of distinguished academics removed from their posts this spring. But while…

Will Japan’s far right spoil the new Emperor’s party?

4 May 2019 8:00

When the new Japanese Emperor Naruhito makes his first public appearance, greeting well-wishers at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo today,…

The Brexit political earthquake is only just beginning

3 May 2019 18:13

These are the most extraordinary local elections of my lifetime. The Tories’ loss of more than 1,000 councillors is way…

The Spectator Podcast: the Brexit party, drugs, and fake lesbians

3 May 2019 18:10

As the two main parties reel from their local election performances today, are we at the beginning of a golden…

How the Tories can turn their dire election results around

3 May 2019 17:46

The local election results are dire for both the Tories and Labour. The Tories have lost over a thousand seats—and…

Tories lose over 1300 seats in local elections

3 May 2019 17:00

The Tories have lost over 1000 seats as both major parties were hit by a Brexit backlash in the local elections…

Ministers shouldn’t be able to escape their mistakes

3 May 2019 16:55

There is little doubt that Rory Stewart is amply-qualified for his belated promotion to the cabinet. The new International Development…

Baldrick quits Labour

3 May 2019 15:16

Things are going from bad to worse for Jeremy Corbyn. Labour has had a dismal night in the polls, losing…

Tommy Robinson and the double standards of political violence

3 May 2019 14:59

So it’s acceptable now to assault electoral candidates? That’s the pretty scary take-home message from the Tommy Robinson ‘milkshaking’ incidents.…

The United Nations and the fracturing of Western unity

3 May 2019 14:38

The United Nations Security Council was designed to, in a phrase, keep the peace. Life didn’t have to be brutish…

The local elections convinced me that reversing Brexit is wrong

3 May 2019 14:12

On Thursday morning I left the house earlier than usual. I rode round the corner, through the driving Mancunian rain…

Jeremy Hunt’s human touch

3 May 2019 14:07

MPs often struggle to bring out their human side when they’re on social media. Often, while ministers would like to…

Barry Gardiner: Labour is trying to ‘bail out’ the Tories on Brexit

3 May 2019 12:54

It’s always been the case that politics makes strange bedfellows, but even so, the current cross-party Brexit talks between Labour…

‘Why don’t you resign?’: Theresa May heckled at Welsh Tory conference

3 May 2019 12:51

The Tories are reeling after a dismal performance in the local elections overnight and things aren’t getting any better for…

The reason for Labour’s dismal local election performance

3 May 2019 10:50

At the end of today, the Tory party will have had a terrible night – perhaps losing as many as…

Watch: Dawn Butler blames ‘biased media projection’ for Labour losses

3 May 2019 10:45

Today’s local election results are not a good look for Labour. After nine years of a Conservative Prime Minister leading…

The LibDems are back – with their strongest advance since 1995

3 May 2019 10:37

The biggest winners from last night are the Liberal Democrats who have (so far) won 260 seats – their best…