Coffee House

Theresa May’s race audit relies on misleading statistics

10 October 2017 17:08

We know from her unfortunate conference speech that it irks Mrs May to hear Labour claiming a monopoly on compassion,…

The left’s love for protest doesn’t apply to the issue of abortion

10 October 2017 16:53

Funny, but I had picked up the idea, especially over the past year or two, that the Left was rather…

Brussels is warming to the British government’s approach to Brexit

10 October 2017 16:27

Ministers had been holding out some faint hope (at least publicly) that Brexit trade talks could start this month. It…

Theresa May’s phoney race war is dangerous and divisive

10 October 2017 13:51

Theresa May’s long-awaited audit into racial disparities in public services has finally launched. We were prepared for the worst. Unnamed…

Franco’s fascism is alive and kicking in Spain

10 October 2017 13:05

Barcelona After the demonstration in Barcelona on Sunday, I happened to walk past the city’s main police station. A unionist…

Watch: Boris’s bungled bid to get into No.10

10 October 2017 12:42

Boris Johnson’s leadership ambitions are no secret. But the Foreign Secretary’s latest attempt to get into Downing Street hit a…

Mhairi Black turns on herself

10 October 2017 12:31

Who would want an MP who had never had a career outside of politics to represent them? That’s the question…

What the papers say: Why we must prepare for a Brexit ‘no deal’

10 October 2017 8:41

Theresa May’s ‘I’m in charge’ message she delivered to Parliament wasn’t only aimed at MPs – it was also directed…

If the Tories are smart, they will stick with Theresa May

10 October 2017 8:10

It’s over 150 years since John Stuart Mill called the Conservatives the stupid party and in every one of those…

Theresa May concedes that the European Court of Justice will have a role during the Brexit transition

9 October 2017 18:49

Most of Theresa May’s statement today was simply a reiteration of what she had said in Florence. But we did…

Does the rule of law cover the poor?

9 October 2017 18:17

Belatedly, the disastrous rollout of Universal Credit has become a media ‘talking point’.  I could do with less praise for…

The Football Lads Alliance is a working-class movement – and the political class wants to ignore it

9 October 2017 17:44

Politicians are always going on about ‘the voiceless’. By which they usually mean poor and working-class people. People who have…

Why isn’t Theresa May’s conference catastrophe showing in the polls?

9 October 2017 17:38

After a lacklustre conference and a disastrous speech, Theresa May’s position within her party has never looked more fragile. But…

Theresa May needs to promote new ideas, not just new names

9 October 2017 17:06

Theresa May is threatening a reshuffle – and would be wise to threaten it for as long as possible as…

How powerful can the Tory Universal Credit rebellion really be?

9 October 2017 16:36

One of the brewing Tory rows of the autumn looks to be over Universal Credit, with Heidi Allen now claiming…

Culture Secretary investigated for not having a TV licence

9 October 2017 16:10

Oh dear. As Culture Secretary, Karen Bradley is expected to foster and maintain good relations with both the media and…

Theresa May should appoint a Secretary of State for No Deal

9 October 2017 15:48

The Brexit talks collapsing would be a bad thing. It shouldn’t be the aim of the UK government, but it…

The Bombardier dispute could actually bring down May’s government

9 October 2017 15:01

When governments fall it often comes from an unexpected quarter. Thirty eight years ago, James Callaghan’s government fell not as…

The conservative case against Catalonia’s separatist narrative

9 October 2017 11:00

Daniel Hannan has written, compellingly and eloquently as usual, about the constitutional crisis taking place in my country, Spain. In…

Cabinet reshuffle: who can Theresa May sack?

8 October 2017 22:03

Good news in Downing Street: Theresa May has survived the weekend. After the Shapps plot failed to take off, the…

Sunday shows round-up: Scottish independence scotched (again)

8 October 2017 16:48

Sturgeon – It is ‘premature’ to set a date for second independence referendum The SNP are rounding off this year’s…

Spectator competition winners: The Little Books of Flogge, Brygge, Chugge and Slugge

8 October 2017 9:45

The latest competition invited you to take your lead from Meik Wiking — CEO at the Happiness Research Institute and…

What is Boris Johnson up to?

8 October 2017 9:30

I’m writing this from the Conservative party conference where I can report that Boris Johnson, who has just wowed the…

If only the Tories understood how free market economics works

8 October 2017 9:00

‘I don’t think I’m quite as Austrian as you are,’ a Tory minister said to me the other day. And…

The rules of the Tory leadership contest make it a wild card to play

8 October 2017 9:00

The moment Philip May helped his wife from the stage after her conference speech, it became clear that it is…