Coffee House

How Brexit could lead to Frexit

8 April 2019 9:00

Struggling to understand the ways of the French, the francophile Winston Churchill reflected whimsically in 1942: ‘The Almighty in His…

The Brexit headache is just beginning

7 April 2019 22:06

Pretty much everyone I meet says they want all the Brexit uncertainty to end, one way or another. But that…

Theresa May hints at a change in direction on Brexit

7 April 2019 17:00

As another crunch Brexit week approaches, Theresa May has used a video message to update the public on ‘what’s happening…

Jacob Rees-Mogg: involving ‘Remainer’ Corbyn in Brexit is ‘a mistake’

7 April 2019 13:39

Jacob Rees-Mogg – May should be ‘held to account’ over Brexit Sophy Ridge began the day with an interview with…

Ireland’s strange decision to become a French colonial outpost

7 April 2019 8:00

Seventy years ago this month, a prime minister led a divided nation towards the exit from what was then one…

Why Donald Trump will win in 2020

7 April 2019 7:12

Writing in September 2015, I predicted Donald Trump would win the White House — and was ridiculed by political ‘experts’…

Are both May and Corbyn prepared to risk splitting their parties?

6 April 2019 10:47

The irony of the stalemate in the cross-party Brexit talks is that Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn are not that…

It’s time to revive Communist literature – it’s never been more relevant

6 April 2019 8:39

I was surprised to learn that the novelist Milan Kundera celebrated his 90th birthday on Monday. I had no idea…

Who will win this year’s Grand National?

6 April 2019 8:31

I’m sure every ‘horsey’ person has been asked the same question: ‘Who should I put my money on in the…

The reason Remainers are worried about European elections

6 April 2019 7:33

If the EU grants us a long extension (and let us pray that M. Macron’s malice towards Britain leads him to…

Theresa May should let Britain leave without a deal

6 April 2019 7:01

One of the many tragedies of Theresa May’s premiership is that, having come up with a coherent policy on how…

Brexit is exposing Nicola Sturgeon’s hypocrisy

5 April 2019 20:03

Like Mother Teresa on a message grid, Nicola Sturgeon loves nothing more than going among the poor and downtrodden with…

How talks between Labour and the Tories reached breaking point

5 April 2019 19:14

I am not sure whether it’s me or ministers who are the more naive. Because last night I was persuaded…

Theresa May’s Brexit talks with Corbyn run into trouble

5 April 2019 17:52

Talks between Labour and the government over Brexit aren’t going anywhere. Labour has released a statement this evening saying that:…

The Spectator Podcast: how Brexit descended into chaos

5 April 2019 17:38

This week we reached a new level of chaos in British politics. With parliament voting down all indicatives vote options,…

If we boycott Brunei, it’s innocent locals who will be punished

5 April 2019 15:55

This week the sultanate of Brunei officially introduced sharia law, announcing that homosexuals now risk being sentenced to death by stoning.…

Is Christine Shawcroft the true target of the Momentum purge?

5 April 2019 14:43

Yesterday, Mr Steerpike reported that the founder of the left-wing campaign group Momentum, Jon Lansman, had been removed as a…

Watch: Lib Dems grilled about their missing parliamentary candidate

5 April 2019 12:12

For the prospective parliamentary candidates of Newport West, last night was the culmination of two months of frantic campaigning, as…

Newport West’s by-election suggests Labour could struggle in a snap election

5 April 2019 10:39

The result from the Newport West by-election came in late last night and as was generally expected Labour held the…

Theresa May requests a short Brexit delay – what will the EU say?

5 April 2019 9:33

After two rounds of talks with the Leader of the Opposition aimed at finding a way to break the Brexit…

My encounter with Young Labour makes me fear for the party’s future

5 April 2019 8:00

To understand the decay of the Labour Party since 2015, look no further than its London youth wing. London Young…

Has a Brexit breakthrough been reached at last?

5 April 2019 6:36

There has been considerable and widespread cynicism about the talks between the Government and Labour about a compromise that could…

Has Jon Lansman been ousted from Momentum?

4 April 2019 19:01

Ever since Jeremy Corbyn first put himself forward to be Labour leader in 2015, the founder of Momentum, Jon Lansman,…

May finds ministers to fill resignation holes: but does it really matter?

4 April 2019 18:44

Theresa May has this evening found enough people to fill the various ministerial holes left in her government by the…

Why a leaky Commons and a Brexit crisis are symptoms of the same problem

4 April 2019 18:24

Oh look, there’s water coming through the roof of the House of Commons! What a gift to those starved of…