Coffee House

Boris left alone to fight for divergence at Cabinet

6 December 2017 17:30

After the DUP took issue with government’s handling of the Irish border question on Monday, Theresa May had to return…

Jeremy Corbyn scores six own-goals in a row at PMQs

6 December 2017 16:26

Ah the joys of political marriages. Theresa May’s pact with the DUP bolstered her at PMQs today, and she delivered…

Donald Trump’s presidency lurches from embarrassment to disaster

6 December 2017 15:29

Here we go again. Donald Trump decertified the Iran nuclear deal in October. Now, in another audacious foray into Middle…

Ignore the motorheads telling us that we all need new cars

6 December 2017 15:07

The motorheads are at it again. The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), the UK auto manufacturers lobby group,…

Social media is the propaganda tool the Nazis could only dream of

6 December 2017 14:50

Last month, the venture capitalist Roger McNamee drew parallels between the persuasive powers of Facebook and those of Joseph Goebbels. McNamee…

Tory Brexiteers are clearly becoming more concerned

6 December 2017 13:40

Remarkably, Theresa May made it through PMQs today pretty much unscathed. I cannot, though, report that this was because she…

Trump’s Jerusalem decision may extinguish hope in the Middle East

6 December 2017 13:30

Let’s face it, Jerusalem is politically, diplomatically and religiously special. It is important to the faith traditions of Judaism, Christianity…

Jacob Rees-Mogg: May’s Brexit red lines look ‘a little bit pink’

6 December 2017 13:11

Theresa May’s Brexit red lines were intended to keep her backbenchers happy, reassuring them that there would be no backsliding…

In defence of Saturday jobs

6 December 2017 12:46

In August 1988, after weeks of practice, I created the perfect Mr Whippy ice cream. I was 14 and I…

#MeToo is the gift that keeps on giving

6 December 2017 11:56

‘What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life? The world would split open,’ wrote the American…

David Davis’s words are coming back to haunt him

6 December 2017 11:41

Not for the first time, David Davis’s words came back to haunt him as he was quizzed on Brexit today.…

Cambridge News headline fail

6 December 2017 11:41

Oh dear. It turns out it’s not just the British government having a bad week. The latest issue of Cambridge…

Brexit draft agreement leaks

6 December 2017 10:35

Theresa May is having a tough week after her plan to agree ‘sufficient progress’ with Jean Claude-Juncker in time for…

Donald Trump gives Israel a Hanukkah present to remember

6 December 2017 9:17

It’s Hanukkah next week, and President Donald J Trump has decided to give the state of Israel a big present.…

What the papers say: May should ditch her plan to leave the single market

6 December 2017 8:27

17.4million people backed Brexit, but only two – at least one of whom campaigned for ‘Remain’ – decided that leaving the…

The British Army’s muddled attitude towards military dogs

5 December 2017 17:34

Almost every day a new email pops into my inbox from the website ‘change.org’. One day they’ll be asking me…

Could the Manchester Arena bombing have been stopped?

5 December 2017 17:03

Today’s report into the Manchester and London terror attacks makes for devastating reading, spelling out as it does the horrors…

Britain has turned its back on its Kurdish allies

5 December 2017 14:39

The Kurdish people are facing a deep crisis. Nowhere is their desperate situation clearer than the way an official visit…

David Davis suggests regulatory alignment will apply to whole of the UK

5 December 2017 13:39

A government minister has just appeared at the despatch box to discuss the state of the EU negotiations. Unfortunately for…

Battle of the Maybots

5 December 2017 12:56

Unfortunately for Theresa May, her working lunch on Monday with Jean-Claude Juncker didn’t work when it came to agreeing ‘sufficient…

The Tories are playing a dangerous game with the Union

5 December 2017 12:29

It is a measure of devolution’s success that politicians, provided they are of sufficient stature, can make waves and news…

Nick Clegg is right: we need a second Brexit referendum

5 December 2017 11:11

I didn’t think I would ever see myself write this, but I think Nick Clegg is right: we need a…

Now we know just how much Theresa May is willing to give away to secure Brexit

5 December 2017 9:29

The thing to appreciate about the Conservative and Unionist Party is that the only principle it understands less than Conservatism…

What the papers say: How will May sell her fudge pudding to the DUP?

5 December 2017 8:33

Theresa May’s plan to wrap up an agreement on the first stage of Brexit talks was scuppered at the last…

To prevent an Irish Sea border, Theresa May will align UK regulations with the EU

4 December 2017 23:37

So it turns out there is something Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party fears and loathes more than the possibility of…