Coffee House

What the papers say: Chris Grayling has questions to answers after Carillion’s collapse

15 January 2018 8:35

Carillion is set to go into liquidation, putting at risk thousands of jobs and leaving question marks hanging over its…

Listen: John McDonnell’s comments about Esther McVey being lynched

14 January 2018 22:39

The return of Esther McVey to the Cabinet is bad news for John McDonnell and Labour’s claim of a kinder,…

Guardian’s tabloid makeover

14 January 2018 21:54

Here we go. As of Monday, the Guardian is a tabloid – in the physical sense anyway. The paper’s editor…

Sunday shows round-up: Nicola Sturgeon – IndyRef2 decision will be made by the end of 2018

14 January 2018 16:57

The Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon was given the prime interview slot on the Andrew Marr Show this morning. Noting…

Michael Gove’s green crusade is a smart way to sell Brexit

14 January 2018 10:42

What is Michael Gove up to? The Environment Secretary seems to be on a tree-hugging rampage at the moment, announcing…

Something’s gone badly right with the world economy

14 January 2018 9:00

It is only a few months since gloomy economic commentators were confidently predicting that the world was about to plunge…

Would Winston Churchill have survived public life in the age of Twitter?

14 January 2018 8:31

It used to be the case that tabloid stings struck the fear of God into politicians and celebrities. Now social…

The Trump exodus could cost the Republicans dearly

14 January 2018 8:30

The Trump presidency has been a disorienting moment in American political life. Imagine a time traveller starting in the year…

Donald Trump has now established himself as the least American president in US history

13 January 2018 21:32

As a schoolboy, George Washington transcribed 110 Jesuitical maxims later published as Rules of Civility and Decent Behaviour in Company and Conversation.…

The true value of cryptocurrency is freedom

13 January 2018 14:00

Picture a village. It has a grocery shop and a pub. A little down the road you can find a…

May can’t bend Macron’s ear on Brexit until she knows what the UK wants

13 January 2018 10:39

Emmanuel Macron and half a dozen of his top team are heading to the UK late next week. I write…

Nigel Farage is wrong and the EU must prepare for no deal

13 January 2018 10:13

Nigel Farage met Michel Barnier on Monday and is now calling, inexplicably, for a second EU referendum. He wants to…

Why does Donald Trump hate dogs?

13 January 2018 9:00

Here’s an aspect of Donald Trump’s personality that I’ve never got past: his hatred of dogs. When Trump tweeted on…

Carrie Gracie’s first-world problem

13 January 2018 8:30

Carrie Gracie is more or less in the right, but I did laugh out loud when I heard her, on…

Donald Trump is right: the sale of the US embassy was a bad deal

13 January 2018 7:56

The anti-Trump forces have been having a field day on Twitter with the hashtag #ICancelledMyTriptoLondon – poking fun at Donald…

Germany’s ‘grand coalition’ looks set to return

13 January 2018 7:48

Oh dear. More than three months since Germans went to the polls, and gave the CDU-SPD government a bloody nose,…

Corbyn reshuffle: Clive Lewis welcomed back into the fold

12 January 2018 21:05

After Theresa May’s underwhelming and chaotic Cabinet reshuffle on Monday and Tuesday, Jeremy Corbyn has followed suit and carried out…

Laura Pidcock’s shadow cabinet buzzkill

12 January 2018 20:28

Since joining Parliament in the snap election, the Labour MP created a media-storm last year when she declared that she…

If Dawn Butler can’t forgive Toby Young, can she forgive herself?

12 January 2018 19:20

I am fascinated as well as appalled by the new morality being created in our country. Last night, Dawn Butler…

The Spectator Podcast: The digital inquisition

12 January 2018 17:08

On this week’s episode, we examine Twitter’s mob mentality, get to the heart of PTSD, and look at how Russia…

Spreadsheet Phil toasts his survival

12 January 2018 12:51

This week’s Cabinet reshuffle proved underwhelming on the whole but for one man, it marked a great change in fortune.…

Books Podcast: What really causes depression?

12 January 2018 10:56

In this week’s Spectator Books podcast — arranged in partnership with the male suicide prevention charity CALM — I talk…

Britain’s epic vanity: do we really think Trump cares that much about coming here?

12 January 2018 10:14

Boris Johnson is absolutely right to say that his successor as London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, has behaved like a ‘puffed…

Watch: Question Time audience member calls out Labour hypocrisy over Toby Young

12 January 2018 8:59

This week Question Time moved to Islington. David Dimbleby chaired a panel comprised of Dominic Raab, Labour’s Dawn Butler, Gina Miller,…

Justine Greening’s departure is no great loss

12 January 2018 8:22

You could, I suppose, feel sorry for Justine Greening if you were a nicer person than me, not just for…