Coffee House

Watch: Labour MP pretends to have read the new Withdrawal Agreement Bill

22 May 2019 12:45

Laura Pidcock has been a rising star in Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour party ever since she became an MP in 2017.…

The EU’s role in the demise of British Steel

22 May 2019 12:10

How ironic that British Steel goes into administration on the day before the European elections, putting 4,200 jobs at risk…

The utter irrelevance of the Tories and Labour

22 May 2019 11:45

Call me old fashioned, but I find it impossible to see how any Tory leader could survive crashing to fifth…

What will Farage-onomics look like?

22 May 2019 11:21

It might be 30 per cent. It might be 35 per cent. It could even be 40 per cent or…

Vince Cable: I welcome people with dark faces

22 May 2019 10:32

This morning, new polling by YouGov ahead of the European elections on Thursday put the Brexit Party on top (at…

Full list: The Tory MPs who will vote down May’s latest Brexit deal

22 May 2019 9:00

Theresa May’s latest Brexit bill is set to come back to the Commons early next month, but already the signs…

Britain doesn’t need another Holocaust memorial

22 May 2019 6:00

David Cameron announced five years ago that he was establishing a “Holocaust Commission”. The purpose? To “investigate what more needs…

What the Tories can learn from Australia’s election upset

22 May 2019 5:45

It is hard to exaggerate the level of shock caused by Scott Morrison’s Australian election victory. The re-election of the country’s Liberal…

Theresa May unveils her ‘New Brexit Deal’ – will it backfire?

21 May 2019 17:15

Theresa May has this afternoon had one last roll of the dice in the Brexit saga. In a speech entitled…

Full text: Theresa May’s speech calling for a second referendum

21 May 2019 17:07

I became Prime Minister almost three years ago – immediately after the British people voted to leave the European Union.…

Theresa May’s latest Brexit pitch goes down badly with Tory MPs

21 May 2019 16:50

Theresa May has made her latest Brexit deal pitch – and it isn’t going down well with Tory MPs. The…

Can Brexiteers trust Boris Johnson to deliver a ‘real’ Brexit?

21 May 2019 14:54

The current Westminster consensus that Boris Johnson is the next Tory leader and prime minister raises all sorts of thoughts.…

Has James Cleverly joined the Tory leadership race?

21 May 2019 13:28

It’s quicker these days to list the number of Tory MPs not running to be leader than those expected to…

The UK is failing to protect looked-after children

21 May 2019 13:16

After coming under fire for its timid reporting of the Telford and Oxford grooming scandals, the BBC seems to have…

It’s no surprise that Jamie Oliver’s restaurant empire has collapsed

21 May 2019 12:43

I am not surprised that Jamie Oliver’s restaurant empire has collapsed into administration. I reviewed his flagship restaurant on Piccadilly,…

The case against Boris Johnson

21 May 2019 12:06

In the old days, if the Tory party was in trouble, old hands who had seen it all before would…

Theresa May is on course for an even worse defeat on her Brexit deal

21 May 2019 11:29

By what margin will Theresa May’s Brexit deal be defeated when it returns to the Commons after recess? The expectation…

Brexit and the tragedy of Philip Hammond

21 May 2019 11:01

It is still a few hours before Philip Hammond makes his speech to the CBI this evening but so much…

Trump is in trouble with the voters who won him the White House

21 May 2019 10:18

President Donald Trump likes to talk. He’s a typical New York blowhard in many ways—obnoxious, loud, self-confident (probably too confident),…

Could France’s far left and far right come together again?

21 May 2019 6:00

As the European elections approach, Europe’s oldest liberal democracies – Britain and France – are in turmoil. Taking the long…

The truth about the Brexit Party’s ‘dark money’

20 May 2019 17:21

I have a question. How come when someone like Bernie Sanders or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez funds themselves through small donations it’s…

Watch: Nigel Farage hit by milkshake

20 May 2019 15:28

Nigel Farage became the latest politician to be pelted by milkshake today, as he toured the centre of Newcastle ahead…

Change UK’s latest transformation is its worst yet

20 May 2019 14:56

As Change UK struggle for relevance, they have become a Revoke party. This is a significant shift from being a…

We’re already having a ‘people’s vote’ – the EU elections this week

20 May 2019 13:00

Frustrated Remainers wanted a second referendum – or what they ludicrously call a ‘people’s vote’, on the basis, presumably, they…

How climate change decided Australia’s election

20 May 2019 10:21

Australian Labor leader Bill Shorten will forever have the ignominious label of the man who lost the unlosable election –…