Coffee House

Spectator competition winners: the spying game

15 April 2018 9:30

The latest competition asked for a short story inspired by the Salisbury poisonings. Ian McEwan, a writer who is fascinated…

Vladimir Putin and the new Cold War

15 April 2018 9:00

In my researches for the final volume of my Thatcher biography, there is plenty, of course, about the Cold War,…

Fire and futility: Why Trump’s missile strike will achieve nothing

14 April 2018 15:30

The Syrian president, Bashar al Assad, strolls nonchalantly across the marble floor of his palace in Damascus, gently swinging his…

Jeremy Corbyn will never give war a chance

14 April 2018 15:16

The best that can be said for Jeremy Corbyn’s response to air strikes against the Assad regime is that he is at…

Have a flutter on girl power winning the Grand National

14 April 2018 12:02

‘Any tips for the National?’ I think anyone who has even a vague connection to a horse has been asked…

Podcast: Will last night’s Syria strikes make any difference?

14 April 2018 11:46

The attack on Syria is now over, says the Pentagon – so where does this leave us? Last time 55…

What is Theresa May’s strategy in Syria?

14 April 2018 11:11

Happy now? The US-led air strikes against Syrian bases, notably chemical weapons storage facilities, near Damascus and Homs and reportedly…

Theresa May’s Syria strikes statement, full text

14 April 2018 10:02

Last night British, French and American armed forces conducted co-ordinated and targeted strikes to degrade the Syrian Regime’s chemical weapons…

Emmanuel Macron is Making France Great Again

14 April 2018 10:00

Since Emmanuel Macron became president last year, he has unashamedly courted the world’s presidents, prime ministers, sheiks and chancellors. Much…

Viktor Orban and Hungary’s muzzled media

14 April 2018 9:00

There are several ingredients for a successful democracy: the rule of law, opposition parties working without harassment, and a free…

Syria strike: the question for May is not ‘why’ but ‘what next’?

14 April 2018 8:40

Overnight, British, French and US forces took part in strikes against the Syrian regime as a punishment for the use…

What does Russia want?

14 April 2018 8:30

With Russian poisoners stalking the streets of Salisbury and the real possibility of a hot war with the Kremlin’s troops…

Theresa May reveals her hawkish side

So, what are strikes on Syria meant to achieve? Well, as I write in The Sun today, Boris Johnson was…

Winnie Mandela and her legacy of unwelcome truths

The death of Winnie Madikizela Mandela has come at a delicate time for South Africa. The country’s new president, Cyril…

It’s nonsense to claim Shakespeare didn’t write his plays

14 April 2018 8:00

If you write a book, even a novel, about Shakespeare you must at least consider the theory that Will of…

Is Trump the Neville Chamberlain of our time?

13 April 2018 20:38

So Britain is responsible for staging the Syrian gas attack? According to Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Igor Konashenkov:…

Theresa May is losing the PR battle on Syria

13 April 2018 18:29

After Theresa May’s Cabinet agreed on the ‘need to take action’ in Syria, it seems a matter of when, not…

Bombing Syria would be a grave mistake

13 April 2018 15:55

‘The whole of the Balkans,’ Otto von Bismarck said, ‘is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.’ He…

Saudi Arabia must become a new Dubai

13 April 2018 14:57

Although probably not possessed of the liberal sensibilities that would see him accepted for membership by, say, the Soho House…

Jeremy Corbyn: ‘you’d better make f—ing sure I don’t get elected’

13 April 2018 13:09

At times it has seemed as though Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has not seen winning power as a top priority.…

Britain is still broken. Here’s how to fix it

13 April 2018 11:19

Nearly six years ago, in The Spectator, I explained how and why the gang culture that exploded in the 2011…

Why can’t Diane Abbott be honest about Labour’s Syria stance?

13 April 2018 10:01

Why can’t Diane Abbott and Jeremy Corbyn be honest about Labour’s real stance on Syria? The shadow home secretary is…

Labour frontbencher: Corbyn should stop commenting on foreign policy

12 April 2018 20:00

There are many figures in the Labour party who wish that Jeremy Corbyn would stay schtum on foreign policy. Whether…

Not all Tories are gung-ho for intervention in Syria

12 April 2018 18:35

As Theresa May meets with her Cabinet to discuss a possible response to the suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria,…

Parliament got Syria right in 2013 – it deserves to vote again

12 April 2018 17:37

As I’ve said before, but it needs saying again because these people never stop — the let’s-bomb-Syria brigade has never…