Coffee House

Three things that Theresa May can do to try and avert a political disaster

14 July 2018 10:52

If Theresa May gets a Brexit deal and it can’t get through parliament, then we are heading towards the most…

Matthew Parris is right: Theresa May’s Brexit plan is terrible

14 July 2018 10:20

On Brexit and the visit of Donald Trump, there has not been a better article than this by Matthew Parris in…

On Brexit, the Germans are against us

14 July 2018 10:00

Why do the British turn to the Germans in their moments of European trouble? It never works. When Jacques Delors…

A capital afternoon at London’s Trump protest

14 July 2018 9:17

Usually it starts at McDonald’s. When protestors gather in central London they like to vandalise the burger chain’s Whitehall branch…

Is ‘roid rage’ to blame for rugby’s decline?

14 July 2018 9:00

Gavin Mortimer’s article on the decline in good behaviour among rugby players  suggests the possible influence of anabolic steroids in…

Donald Trump is talking fake news about Brexit

13 July 2018 17:07

In Trumpland, the truth is what you say it is. Donald Trump says he was at his golf course at…

The Trump-May press conference was a comic masterpiece

13 July 2018 15:47

Donald Trump never fails to amuse. He is very, very funny. You can say that he should be no laughing…

The EU is terrified that Britain will make a success of Brexit

13 July 2018 15:14

Now that the EU white paper is out we can see that terms like vassal state, colony and homage were…

Admit it, Trump is right about Sadiq Khan

13 July 2018 12:47

I’m sorry to say this, but Donald Trump really doesn’t think much about Britain at all. He may have some…

Tory minister: Boris Johnson would make a terrible PM

13 July 2018 11:21

It’s all kicking off in the Conservative party. After a week of Eurosceptic rebellion, resignations and in-fighting, Theresa May has…

Jacob Rees-Mogg adds to Theresa May’s woes

13 July 2018 10:18

Poor old Theresa May. Donald Trump’s Brexit comments have overshadowed the president’s long-awaited visit, but even after Trump departs for…

Donald Trump is a news god – but his memory is patchy

13 July 2018 9:38

One of the myths about Donald Trump is that he’s wildly unpredictable. In media terms, he’s an absolute banker: everywhere…

Watch: Nigel Farage on winding up Team Trump ahead of UK visit

13 July 2018 9:37

President Trump’s official UK visit has turned into a nightmare for Downing Street after the US President used an interview…

Donald Trump becomes No 10’s nightmare guest

13 July 2018 8:27

Oh dear. After some incendiary comments earlier in the week, Donald Trump has delivered a sucker punch towards Theresa May…

How football united a nation

12 July 2018 16:57

England did not expect. That was the key to this summer’s World Cup. Last night’s defeat by Croatia was a…

Raab talks tough on Brexit White Paper – as Brussels responds

12 July 2018 16:53

Dominic Raab’s Commons debut as Brexit Secretary didn’t go exactly as he would have hoped. He was greeted with louder…

Donald Trump is wrong about Germany being a ‘captive’ of Russia

12 July 2018 15:22

“What good is Nato if Germany is paying Russia billions of dollars for gas and energy?” tweeted Donald Trump on…

Books Podcast: Margo Jefferson on Michael Jackson

12 July 2018 14:32

In this week’s Books podcast, we’re moonwalking back to the glory days of Michael Jackson with the brilliant Margo Jefferson,…

The Spectator Podcast: Revolution!

12 July 2018 12:40

Is Brexit going in circles? With the resignations of David Davis and Boris Johnson – and widespread unhappiness at the…

Trump on May’s Brexit plan: ‘I don’t know if that is what they voted for’

12 July 2018 12:38

Theresa May’s Chequers’ Brexit blueprint hasn’t got off to the best start this week. Before the white paper has even…

Theresa May heads into uncharted waters

12 July 2018 12:21

The single most important fact in British politics, I say in the magazine this week, is that Theresa May does…

What happened to the Brexit exodus of foreign students?

12 July 2018 12:13

Brexit will, of course, lead to a crash in the number of foreign students coming to racist, xenophobic Britain. We…

Why England’s part-time fans will be hurting the most

12 July 2018 11:46

My lovely, wonderful wife was disconsolate. She went to bed, desolated. This is the problem with people who tune in…

Donald Trump does Brexit

12 July 2018 11:40

PART I President Donald Trump is less than impressed with Theresa May’s Brexit plan, it seems. ‘I’m not sure that’s…

Can Sajid Javid really change immigration policy?

12 July 2018 11:10

When Sajid Javid became Home Secretary, he did so on the basis that he would be able to undo some…