Coffee House

MPs have one shot this week to prevent a no-deal Brexit

23 March 2019 19:50

As you know, I have been banging on about the probability that the UK will leave the EU without a…

KCL’s chilling clampdown on freedom of speech

23 March 2019 18:07

‘No Platforming’ and intolerance within the left are too often cited as the only reasons behind the purported demise of…

Revealed: No. 10 leak shows how May could delay Brexit without Parliament’s approval

23 March 2019 14:28

Ever since MPs first voted to trigger Article 50 everyone has been told that Britain, by law, will be leaving the…

What’s behind Britain’s obsession with video games?

23 March 2019 10:13

It is bad form to be a killjoy when it comes to gaming, so I will start by saying that…

With Trump’s endorsement, Netanyahu may survive

23 March 2019 9:34

Benjamin Netanyahu’s face at the online campaign event his Likud party hosted on Wednesday afternoon was pale and drawn. A…

The Tories have squandered Brexit – they must not waste the extension too

23 March 2019 9:00

For many people, next Friday was supposed to be a celebration. Boris Johnson spoke about an ‘independence day’ marking the…

Reality check: New Zealand is awash with guns

23 March 2019 8:00

In a blink, everything has changed and yet nothing has changed. Life goes on. The long, hot days of a…

The one way to give MV3 a chance of passing

23 March 2019 7:00

At the moment, the Brexit deal isn’t going to pass. As I say in The Sun this morning, getting it…

The problem with Westminster is that politicians don’t do their jobs

23 March 2019 7:00

The trouble with Mr Speaker, even when he makes the right decision, is his motives. Fame is the spur and…

Theresa May’s third meaningful vote might now be cancelled

22 March 2019 19:58

All the talk among Cabinet ministers – who as usual in Theresa May’s government know next-to-nothing about what the PM…

The Spectator Podcast: is Brexit a national humiliation?

22 March 2019 18:19

This week opened with the cautious optimism of a third meaningful vote passing, and ends, as our cover depicts, with…

Good riddance to Amsterdam’s disgraceful red-light district tours

22 March 2019 18:04

The city of Amsterdam is to finally ban guided tours around its most notorious window brothel area, the sex tourist…

Why I am joining the People’s Vote march on Saturday

22 March 2019 17:40

On Saturday I will join hundreds of thousands of British people demanding a People’s Vote on Brexit. The Put it…

The Renew party fails to build bridges in Newport, Wales

22 March 2019 17:29

In these divided times the politics of centrist parties is all about building connections and crossing divides, so what better…

Full list: the opposition MPs who back May’s deal

22 March 2019 14:46

Speaker Bercow may have thrown a grenade in the works with his surprise decision to block a vote on May’s…

The EU has no appetite for another Brexit delay

22 March 2019 13:11

Now that I’ve had the opportunity to review the extraordinary and historic events that took place here in Brussels and…

The Home Office’s shameful treatment of a Christian asylum-seeker 

22 March 2019 10:18

Suspend your disbelief for a moment, and try to imagine you’re an Iranian, in Iran. You were born into an…

Why Greeks abhor and applaud Brexit

22 March 2019 9:29

Pavlos Eleftheriadis is as Anglophilic a Greek as they come. His wife and children are British, and he is a…

Not even God knows what happens to Brexit now

22 March 2019 9:06

After yesterday’s historic negotiations between EU leaders here in Brussels – while Theresa May was out of the room –…

It’s getting harder for Theresa May to pass her deal next week

22 March 2019 8:22

After eight hours of talks between EU leaders, Theresa May has been granted an Article 50 extension. If the Prime…

The EU has just given parliament more time to take control of Brexit

22 March 2019 7:18

Last night, the EU27 unanimously rejected Theresa May’s request for a June Brexit extension and told her 22 May at…

Boris Johnson’s fox-hunting enthusiast donor

21 March 2019 14:25

With Theresa May’s premiership on the ropes, there’s an expectation of a Tory leadership contest later this year. It follows…

Full list: the Tory MPs who have switched to backing May’s deal

21 March 2019 13:30

Despite suffering two historic losses in the House of Commons, it seems inevitable that Theresa May will bring her Brexit deal…

Watch: fireworks in the Chamber between Bercow and Leadsom

21 March 2019 12:25

Oh dear, it seems as if the pressure placed on John Bercow after he blocked a third meaningful vote on…

What Kwasi Kwarteng’s leaked notes tell us about No. 10’s Brexit strategy

21 March 2019 11:51

I’ve been passed copies of media briefing notes prepared for the junior Brexit minister Kwasi Kwarteng, who this morning did…