Coffee House

The question is not whether upskirting is gross, it’s whether it requires a new criminal offence

16 June 2018 18:48

About three days ago, most of us wouldn’t have had much notion what upskirting was; now we are, I think,…

JezFest, in pictures

16 June 2018 16:27

The day has finally come – it’s Labour Live. The inaugural JezFest – first imagined as a follow-up to Jeremy…

Virtuous hypocrites are everywhere

16 June 2018 14:25

I was amused to read recently that supermarkets were mystified as to the sudden passion for the humble carrot sweeping…

Glasgow School of Art is much more than just an art college

16 June 2018 12:53

Let’s be clear. This is not Grenfell. The word ‘tragedy’ may be all over the news, Twitter may be full…

Theresa May can’t escape Brexit

16 June 2018 10:33

Next week, Theresa May will announce a massive cash injection for the NHS. As I say in The Sun this…

Why I will miss Paul Dacre

16 June 2018 10:00

I really will miss Paul Dacre when he steps down as editor of the Daily Mail. There have been times, I…

For France, the World Cup is about more than just football

16 June 2018 9:00

These are challenging times for Emmanuel Macron. Kim Jong-Un has supplanted him as Donald Trump’s Best Friend Forever and he’s…

The Tories only have themselves to blame for the ‘upskirting’ row

15 June 2018 18:25

How embarrassing for Tory MPs: one of their own has managed to block the unblockable: a bill creating a new…

Revealed: Conservative MPs turn on Christopher Chope on Tory WhatsApp

15 June 2018 16:41

Theresa May ends the week with a damaging rebellion – just not the one she expected. Sir Chritsopher Chope has…

In defence of Christopher Chope’s ‘upskirting’ objection

15 June 2018 16:00

Sir Christopher Chope is not, perhaps, a household name, but he is a man of quite considerable courage. By raising…

Why has a Tory MP just blocked a move to make upskirting a criminal offence?

15 June 2018 15:47

The most problematic rebellion Theresa May has suffered this week is not on Brexit and the troublesome EU Withdrawal Bill…

Tariq Ramadan and the integrity of French justice

15 June 2018 13:26

For the last four months, Oxford professor Tariq Ramadan has been rotting in a French jail, like Jean Valjean. He…

QE is the biggest thing in politics but politicians aren’t talking about it

15 June 2018 12:53

Essay question: what was the most consequential British public policy decision taken in the last 10 years? Clue: it wasn’t…

Brexit row: Remainers point the finger at David Davis

15 June 2018 11:25

How did the government manage to engineer a ‘compromise’ amendment to the EU Withdrawal Bill that’s left it in greater…

The NHS bus pledge could have a sting in the tail for the Tories

15 June 2018 11:14

Today’s newspapers have managed to catch up with our cover story from last month: Theresa May has agreed to a…

John Mann’s encounter with Kim Jong-il

15 June 2018 11:10

We’ve all been there. You’re at a work event, you don’t really know anyone so soon you end up talking…

Macron’s defeat of the railway unions is as historic as Thatcher’s victory over Scargill

15 June 2018 9:13

Who would have thought it? French president Emmanuel Macron has defeated the French railway unions. His victory is as symbolic…

A political showdown is on the way. Will Theresa May lose?

15 June 2018 9:04

At 3pm yesterday afternoon, the Remainer rebels led by Dominic Grieve thought the government was honouring the PM’s putative commitment…

James Comey is a man obsessed with his own myth

14 June 2018 18:13

Oh, dear. The myth that James Comey has sedulously cultivated of himself—the ascetic warrior for truth, the vigilant sentinel of…

Government plays divide and rule with Remain rebels

14 June 2018 18:11

Oh dear. Although it was widely accepted that either the Tory Remainers or the Tory Brexiteers would be furious when…

Calling people out for ‘gaslighting’ is just a lazy but effective way of shutting down dissent

14 June 2018 15:38

Last month, the American short story writer Carmen Maria Machado spoke out about a disappointing interaction she had once had…

Change to visa rules shows May has learned from her recent immigration messes

14 June 2018 15:26

The government has finally climbed down on visa restrictions for foreign doctors and nurses, scrapping the cap on numbers who…

Spectator Books: Koh-i-Noor

14 June 2018 15:07

This week in the Spectator Books podcast I’m joined by William Dalrymple, co-author with Anita Anand of Koh-i-Noor: The History…

Donald Trump does Brexit, Part 1

14 June 2018 13:31

‘Imagine Trump doing Brexit — what would he do?’ asked the Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, at that dinner which was…

Watch: Labour Brexit rebel vs Polly Toynbee

14 June 2018 13:23

Jeremy Corbyn was given a taste of a Brexit rebellion last night when 90 of his MPs declined his suggestion…