Coffee House

From Boris to Bloomberg

30 September 2007 16:59

Boris has just brought the house down with a speech attacking Ken Livingstone and setting out the Tory agenda for…

George Osborne’s conference diary

30 September 2007 16:25

George Osborne, the Shadow Chancellor and Tory election co-ordinator, will be contributing to Coffee House throughout conference. Here is his first entry:…

The glory of music

30 September 2007 15:57

Amidst the coruscating party conference commentary might I just slip in a small musical note akin to that so enjoyed…

What Hezza missed

30 September 2007 15:28

Great to see Hezza back in the saddle, talking about the plight of British cities. But I’m not sure I…

Hezza still a conference darling after all these years

30 September 2007 15:14

Michael Heseltine just rolled back the years with a crowd-pleasing address to conference. Heseltine extolled the values of decentralisation, celebrated…

Warsi illustrates the Tory dilemma

30 September 2007 13:11

Amid all the polls, hoopla and election prognostications as the Tories gather in Blackpool, don’t miss this interview in today’s…

Hague on Brown

30 September 2007 12:25

William Hague has been given the task of Brown baiting. His speech went quite well until this bit: “After ten…

Not the best cut

30 September 2007 12:16

Given that David Cameron has given himself a tiny fund for tax cuts, I’m not at all convinced that cutting…

Sons of the Manse

29 September 2007 17:47

Governments recycle policies, pledges and promises. Gordon Brown has decided to recycle his rhetoric as well-with some fine-sounding phrases about…

As Tories head to Blackpool, Brown has a landslide lead

29 September 2007 12:05

Today’s polls are grim for the Tories. Labour lead by double digits in both and with a uniform national swing…

Is Osborne set to commit the Tories to the abolition of inheritance tax?

28 September 2007 20:29

The Taxpayers’ Alliance is reporting that George Osborne will pledge to abolish inheritance tax at Blackpool. The TPA believes that…

Toby Young’s video diary of the Boris campaign

28 September 2007 16:58

Toby Young presents his latest video diary of the Boris Johnson campaign. You can watch previous entries here and here. 

You’ll be laughing presently

28 September 2007 15:55

Present Laughter opens at the National Theatre next week and I went to a preview last night. Theatre-goers are in…

It’s folk music but not as we know it

28 September 2007 14:38

There’s more to folk these days than dodgy beards and cable-knit sweaters and it’s clear why Bellowhead, instigators of an…

Isn’t saying The Brothers Karamazov rather idiotic?

28 September 2007 14:03

On holiday I read (not reread I am afraid in my case, as people tend to claim about great classics)…

Might Salmond stand against Brown?

28 September 2007 11:52

Iain Dale has a fascinating story up about a rumour that Alex Salmond might stand against Gordon Brown at the…

Brown to decide by Sunday on snap poll

28 September 2007 8:53

Gordon Brown will decide whether or not to call an election this weekend, The Guardian reports today. His aides, apparently,…

A dazzling evening

28 September 2007 0:59

Just come home from Theo Fennell’s exhibition “Show Off” at The Royal Academy of Arts – one of the glitziest…

The UN is not a moral authority

27 September 2007 21:54

I never understand why people hold the UN up as some great moral arbiter. Far from being some vehicle for the…

One of the best places in London to hear music

27 September 2007 17:12

I spent last night in one of my favourite places in the whole of London: Wilton’s Music Hall. Anyone who…

What else Brown takes from America

27 September 2007 16:04

I loved the Fink’s tracing of passages in Brown’s speech back to those of American politicians. But why stop at…

Now for something truly horrible

27 September 2007 15:54

They say that things will be better between Britain and American — or at any rate between No 10 and…

BT need to be more broad minded

27 September 2007 15:39

Success – of a sort. I first contacted Virgin Media seven weeks ago as I wanted to change from dial-up…

Have the Angry Young Men won out?

27 September 2007 14:55

Proofs of The Letters of Noel Coward and a new book about the Royal Court Theatre arrived at The Spectator…

Labour gets ready to go, but cabinet remains divided on timing

27 September 2007 13:34

The chances of an autumn poll just increased with the news that Labour is hiring key election staff. Now, this…