Coffee House

Respectable not sensational

4 May 2007 14:04

I went to bed at 5.30am thinking “Well, I’ll wake up and know the result”. It’s now Friday lunchtime, and…

Catherine Tate

4 May 2007 13:55

The forgotten party of British politics

4 May 2007 12:57

Conservative Home asks why there isn’t more speculation about Ming Campbell’s future. It does seem odd how easy a ride…

How good a night was it for the Tories?

4 May 2007 11:37

The general view so far which I myself posted earlier is that this has been a respectable rather than seriously…

Required viewing for all MPs

4 May 2007 11:32

It’s a pity that the elections yesterday coincided with Molly Dineen’s documentary ‘The Lie of the Land’ because I imagine…

Sarkozy’s lead widens

4 May 2007 11:12

To shift focus in our election coverage to across the Channel, Nicolas Sarkozy’s lead is widening. Two new polls out…

DOWN WITH DEMOCRACY

4 May 2007 10:37

As Matt d’Ancona says, ‘hanging chads’ are the words that spring to mind when considering the technical disasters that attended…

Recreating an Elgar premiere

4 May 2007 9:19

What is the peculiar magic of string quartets? Ian McEwan posed this question when I interviewed him recently. It came…

The result: No overall control

4 May 2007 6:59

‘A new dawn has broken,’ said Eric Pickles, the Tories’ local government spokesman, just after 5:20. Oh no it hasn’t,…

Tories up 1%, Lib Dems down 1%

4 May 2007 2:15

And Labour pretty much as they were the BBC are projecting. That has got to count as a good night…

Caught Spinning

4 May 2007 1:06

In the pub, awaiting developments

4 May 2007 0:19

I’m not quite on the BBC election panel – I’ve had better luck. I’m down the boozer: the St Stephens…

Has Brown saved the union?

3 May 2007 23:43

Might Labour keep Scotland after all? I’m told Labour HQ in Glasgow is fairly chirpy this evening. The YouGov poll…

Election night blogging on Coffee House

3 May 2007 20:47

Our indefatigable political editor Fraser Nelson will be blogging the election results as they come in. He’s also one of…

Conservatives for Hillary?!

3 May 2007 20:23

Former Reagan and Bush 1 staffer Bruce Bartlett thinks that conservatives might, out of necessity, end up embracing their favourite…

Comment Away

3 May 2007 17:08

We’ve had had some problems earlier today with the comments but that’s now fixed–apologies if you tried to post earlier. So…

Tamzin on the trail

3 May 2007 16:28

Greetings from Sheffield where yours truly has been put in charge of The Tory Revival In Our Great Northern Cities!…

Things best left unsaid

3 May 2007 16:06

The Business section of this week’s Spectator includes a fascinating interview with Sir Michael Bishop, founder-boss of the airline BMI.…

What a repulsive lot we have become

3 May 2007 15:49

It is greatly to Jonathan Aitken’s credit that he has come to the aid of Lord Browne in today’s Guardian.…

The little shall inherit the earth

3 May 2007 13:41

Has anybody noticed that slowly, slowly, (little by little) short people are taking over the world? They took Hollywood many…

What will Blair do next?

3 May 2007 11:52

The reports this morning that Tony Blair might step down as an MP as soon as he quits as PM…

I fell for Piers

3 May 2007 9:48

I think I have fallen victim to a cunning and captious new publishing ploy to get hopelessly vain creatures like…

What a Sarko win’ll mean for British politics

3 May 2007 9:42

The funny thing is that Labour is wholly relaxed about Sarkozy winning – he and Gordon get on very well.…

Sarko clears the last hurdle

3 May 2007 7:21

Nicolas Sarkozy survived last night’s French presidential debate. Opinion seems divided on who actually won but Sarko didn’t throw it…

Who’ll be smiling tonight?

3 May 2007 0:05

A tiresome trait of local elections is seeing every party declare victory of sorts on election night. At present, it…