Coffee House

We stand with Mandelson

20 June 2008 12:56

I know this might not come naturally to Coffeee Housers but we all really should rally to Peter Mandelson’s defence.…

The disgruntled speak out

20 June 2008 12:27

Over at Comment Central, Danny Finkelstein’s posted a couple of no-holds-barred quotations from Labour MPs: “Our Leader is utterly useless.…

Things are hotting-up in Henley

20 June 2008 11:24

After David Davis’ resignation, Henley was under threat of becoming the forgotten by-election.  But things are hotting up there today,…

The Davis shuffle

20 June 2008 10:59

Last night on Question Time, David Davis said: “If I was given my job back, I think I’d take it…

Ed Balls’ salvo against grammar schools

20 June 2008 9:04

Although he hasn’t quite stepped out and declared that he hates all existing grammar schools, Ed Balls’ latest speech contains…

Miliband won’t take no for an answer

19 June 2008 20:12

Further to Pete’s post, David Miliband’s comments on Channel 4 tonight are a classic example of Euro double-speak: “We are…

Just say ‘No’

19 June 2008 18:54

The news coming out of the EU summit in Brussels is less than encouraging. Apparently, the various representatives are preparing themselves…

The Labour attack machine has lost its teeth

19 June 2008 17:28

If you want to know how much Labour’s political skills have atrophied just consider how it has failed to land…

Burnham gets more than he bargained for

19 June 2008 16:26

Andy Burnham’s comments about David Davis and Shami Chakrabarti were a cheap shot and unworthy of this office. They also…

Darling speaking at Mansion House

19 June 2008 15:19

Here, thanks to HM Treasury, is footage of Alistair Darling’s speech at Mansion House last night:

Spectator Live

19 June 2008 14:37

Just a reminder about latest feature on the site – Spectator Live.  You can access it via the ‘Live’ tab at the…

The Tories should take the poor out of tax

19 June 2008 13:11

The Telegraph’s excellent Tories in Power series continues today with a splendid piece by Tim Montgomerie. Tim argues that: “The…

The Davis story

19 June 2008 13:03

A few months ago, I was told that David Davis had confessed at a dinner party that he didn’t believe…

Can Cameron be in two places at once?

19 June 2008 11:48

The Daily Mirror has returned to pinning cycling misdemeanors on David Cameron.  But, as Adam Boulton & Co. point out,…

Does Brown need some holiday reading?

19 June 2008 10:59

Alistair Horne has a delightful piece in today’s Independent reflecting on the dinner he went to with George W. Bush…

Hard Times

19 June 2008 9:02

In the wake of Alistair Darling and Mervyn King’s speeches at Mansion House last night, most of the papers are…

Kelvin MacKenzie: I won’t contest Haltemprice & Howden

19 June 2008 8:00

Kelvin MacKenzie confirms in his Sun column today that he won’t stand in the Haltemprice & Howden by-election: “…the clincher for…

Parliament ratifies the Lisbon Treaty

18 June 2008 21:04

So that’s it then.  The Lisbon Treaty has passed sucessfully through Parliament, despite an 11th-hour Tory effort to delay proceedings.  The UK…

A referendum, of sorts

18 June 2008 18:34

Guido helpfully points out that there’s now a counter-petition to the anti-ratification one set up by Richard North and Neil…

Muslim women moved out of camera shot at Obama rally

18 June 2008 18:03

The absurd accusation that Barack Obama is some kind of Muslim Manchurian candidate has caused his campaign some political discomfort.…

Clegg should go to David Davis’s constituency immediately

18 June 2008 16:27

Nick Clegg should be on his way to Haltemprice & Howden right now with the aim of canvassing for David…

PMQs footage

18 June 2008 16:24

For those who missed PMQs earlier, here – courtesy of Politics Home – is footage of the Brown and Cameron…

Labour confirm they won’t stand in Haltemprice & Howden

18 June 2008 15:12

Labour have confirmed that they won’t put forward a candidate for the Haltemprice & Howden by-election.  For Team Davis, this will…

Spectator Live

18 June 2008 14:37

Just a reminder about latest feature on the site – Spectator Live.  You can access it via the ‘Live’ tab at the…

Brown pummelled in PMQs

18 June 2008 13:32

With four more troops dead in Afghanistan, the campaign in Helmand led PMQs. Gordon Brown wished to pay tribute, and…