Coffee House

Power failure

7 March 2008 18:18

When I was at The Scotsman we dreamed about getting the kind of scoop the newspaper has this morning –…

Publish and be done

7 March 2008 16:06

Venetia Thompson’s account of what it was like to be a posh bird in on the trading floor revealed just…

They should be feted and honoured

7 March 2008 16:05

There is something utterly shaming in the RAF uniform story. However isolated the instances of mockery near RAF Wittering, one…

Targeted taxation

7 March 2008 14:42

Massive increases in the tax on alcohol have recently been mooted as a way to stem the binge-drinking culture. Yet how does the…

Brownies & Budget 2008

7 March 2008 13:43

A reminder that – after all your suggestions – Coffee House has begun its detailed analysis of Brownies, those little…

Did Clegg pick the least worst option?

7 March 2008 11:49

Nick Robinson has a good post up at the BBC explaining why Nick Clegg got himself into such a mess…

Calamity Clegg

7 March 2008 8:55

Matthew Norman has a very funny column in The Independent today on the damage that Nick Clegg has done to…

Brown’s super subs

6 March 2008 18:44

I had so much material left over from my political column this week – looking inside the doors of the…

Brownie No.1 – Inflation

6 March 2008 18:43

“Inflation is only 2.1%, or as he will now say, only 2.2%. That is not what my groceries, fuel, energy,…

The Islamist threat in Malaysia has lessons for us all

6 March 2008 17:49

When Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, gave his thoughtful lecture on Sharia law and his slightly less thoughtful BBC…

Prisoners of their own demands

6 March 2008 15:39

By an 85 percent vote the Prison Officers Association has rejected the government’s offer of a 2.2 percent pay rise…

Exclusive commentary and podcast: Britain should have a referendum on the EU Treaty

6 March 2008 13:58

A podcast of last night’s Spectator / Intelligence Squared debate – “Britain should have a referendum on the EU Treaty” –…

A cutting debate

6 March 2008 13:23

Yesterday, Matthew agreed with Daniel Finkelstein that the Tories should hold back a little – and spend more time reassuring…

The price of political cowardice

6 March 2008 11:53

The government’s u-turn on road pricing is a depressing act of political cowardice. Steve Richards has a spot on column…

What now for the Tories?

6 March 2008 11:53

Now the referendum vote is defeated, what for the Tories? First, hope it’s overturned in the Lords. Then? A ConservativeHome…

Who should answer the 3am call?

6 March 2008 10:33

As the psephologists continue to argue how many caucus members can dance on the head of a pin, political folklore…

Referendum Watch

6 March 2008 8:58

Just elaborating on my post of last night, here are the full numbers for yesterday’s Commons vote on the the…

What’s next?

5 March 2008 22:43

Over on Americano, a look at how Obama might try and change the story line and what the seven week…

It’s Brownie time

5 March 2008 19:39

For the past few weeks, CoffeeHouse has been asking its readers to shout out about Gordon Brown’s lies – or…

MPs say "no" to referendum 

5 March 2008 19:06

As expected, the Tory proposal for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty has been defeated in the Commons.  248 MPs…

Live Audio: Britain should have a referendum on the EU Treaty

5 March 2008 18:31

A reminder that the Spectator / Intelligence Squared debate – “Britain should have a referendum on the EU Treaty” –…

Signing in

5 March 2008 16:27

Iain Martin’s already highlighted it over at Three Line Whip today.  But I thought CoffeeHousers would also enjoy this topical…

Europe dominates PMQs

5 March 2008 12:54

Fabian Hamilton kicked off with today’s planted question. Poverty pay in this country has been abolished by the National Minimum…

Testing times

5 March 2008 12:23

As Guido reports, Nick Clegg has accepted the first Lib Dem front-bencher resignation over Europe.  No news of who it is,…

Taxing times

5 March 2008 12:07

Danny Finkelstein has a must-read column today on the Tory tax row, which has already prompted response over at Conservativehome.…