Coffee House

Why I’m delighted for Darren Grimes

19 July 2019 19:45

Darren Grimes has won his appeal against a £20,000 fine imposed by the Electoral Commission. Grimes, the 25-year-old who ran…

Ilhan Omar is a troll

19 July 2019 14:00

The Democratic Party faces a test of character. Most mainstream institutions have failed such tests in recent years but, in…

We’re heading for an autumn election

19 July 2019 13:59

Interviewing Boris Johnson is like staring long and hard into an expressionist painting: there are pyrotechnics, the shape of commitments…

Boris’s critics are only making him stronger

19 July 2019 13:28

If, as expected, Boris Johnson heads off to Buckingham Palace next Wednesday to become Prime Minister, I fear that a…

It’s time to listen to the NHS gender clinic whistleblowers

19 July 2019 12:59

Why are increasing numbers of children designated as transgender? Are the resulting medical interventions safe and justified and in the…

The Spectator Podcast: the latest plot to oust Corbyn

19 July 2019 12:12

When Labour moderates tried to oust Jeremy Corbyn in 2016, their attempt only made him stronger, protected by swathes of…

Seven of the best moments from This Week

18 July 2019 19:00

It’s the end of an era tonight as This Week goes out for the very last time. The BBC’s late-night…

Is Boris wrong to claim Islam set the Muslim world back?

18 July 2019 17:17

I do love the Guardian. As the years go by almost no publication continues to give me such constant amusement.…

Why has Gary Lineker been appointed a visiting fellow at Oxford?

18 July 2019 15:51

Congratulations to Gary Lineker OBE, who has just been appointed a visiting fellow to Lady Margaret Hall, an Oxford college.…

Jeremy Hunt slips up

18 July 2019 15:23

As parliament voted today on an amendment which would make suspending parliament to prevent a no-deal Brexit more difficult, one…

Is Leo Varadkar climbing down over Brexit?

18 July 2019 14:42

Leo Varadkar certainly talks tough when it comes to Brexit, but is the Irish PM preparing to back down? Mr S.…

The prorogation vote shows how strong the anti-no deal coalition is

18 July 2019 14:29

In a much heavier than expected defeat, the government lost by 41 votes in its attempt to take an anti-prorogation…

Is the OBR right about a no-deal Brexit recession?

18 July 2019 12:39

Sajid Javid. Liz Truss. Dominic Raab, or perhaps even his old City Hall colleague Kit Malthouse. There are plenty of…

Why has London Bridge station been shortlisted for an architectural prize?

18 July 2019 10:44

London Bridge station has been shortlisted for the Riba Stirling architects prize. The jury said its “impressive” new concourse had “significantly…

The rise and fall of Beto O’Rourke

18 July 2019 8:26

It wasn’t so long ago when Beto O’Rourke, the punk-rock band member and three-term congressman from West Texas, was the…

Books Podcast: the double agent who changed the Cold War

17 July 2019 18:40

There’s nobody who writes true-life spy stories like Ben MacIntyre — and with his latest book The Spy and the…

In defence of Matthew Parris

17 July 2019 17:09

A perfectly sensible observation from Matthew Parris has incurred the wrath of his colleagues on the Times. Speaking of Trump’s…

No fanfare, no cheers, and a thin turnout at PMQs

17 July 2019 15:59

A thin turnout for Theresa May’s penultimate PMQs. Labour members were skulking in corridors plotting to oust their leader. And…

Corbyn and May argue over whose party is more racist

17 July 2019 14:44

The argument from both sides was essentially 'well, my party might be racist, but yours is worse'

The only way to solve Labour’s anti-Semitism problem

17 July 2019 14:43

‘The Labour Party welcomes everyone* irrespective of race, creed, age, gender identity, or sexual orientation. (except, it seems, Jews)’. So…