Coffee House

It’s time for Democrats to face up to the truth about Donald Trump

25 March 2019 17:45

If you follow the US president on Twitter, you might think that every day is Donald Day. But Sunday was…

Theresa May gives MPs another Brexit lecture

25 March 2019 16:12

The most damaging thing that Theresa May did last week was to turn on MPs in her Downing Street statement,…

Has Leo Varadkar finally come clean on the Irish border?

25 March 2019 15:33

Without the issue of the Irish backstop, it is reasonably safe to assume the UK would be leaving the EU…

Why ‘indicative votes’ would be a terrible idea

25 March 2019 15:32

Whether or not Theresa May manages to bring forward another Meaningful Vote on her Brexit deal before 12 April, it…

Why can’t the New York Times stand Brexit?

25 March 2019 15:03

It seems that the editors of the New York Times will print any nonsense about Britain — the British live on mutton and…

Ministers left no clearer about May’s intentions at crunch Cabinet

25 March 2019 13:53

After today’s Cabinet, ministers are no clearer about what Theresa May’s intentions are. ‘Reading tea leaves would be easier’, remarks…

Don’t be fooled by the twee placards at the People’s Vote march

25 March 2019 13:24

I’ve had a lot of flak for describing Saturday’s march for a ‘People’s Vote’ as ‘disturbing’. Angry emailers inform me…

Will MPs get a free vote on alternatives to the PM’s Brexit plan?

25 March 2019 10:04

A point of significant tension at this morning’s cabinet will be over whether the PM is to allow her ministers…

In defence of Sarah Vine

25 March 2019 9:49

The first job of a columnist on a big newspaper is to be noticed. If people aren’t talking about the…

May promises Brexiters she will resign in exchange for their votes

25 March 2019 8:25

I am reliably told that Theresa May told Boris Johnson, Iain Duncan Smith, Steve Baker, Jacob Rees-Mogg, David Davis et al…

The Mueller report’s findings could actually help Democrats in 2020

25 March 2019 7:34

In determining that Donald Trump did not engage in secret collusion with Russia, Robert Mueller may well have done Democrats…

Philip Hammond: a second referendum “deserves to be considered”

24 March 2019 14:27

Philip Hammond – Removing May ‘will not help’ Brexit process The Chancellor has taken to the TV studios once ahead…

It’s time to send for Michael Gove

24 March 2019 11:16

On Friday in the Spectator’s Coffee House podcast I suggested Michael Gove should be installed as a caretaker leader until June.…

Our next Prime Minister? David Lidington interview

24 March 2019 11:05

David Lidington is the most powerful minister you’ve never heard of. He is Theresa May’s de facto deputy, tasked with…

Cabinet coup or not, the government is on the brink of collapse over Brexit

24 March 2019 9:12

The correct reports in Sunday Times and Mail on Sunday this morning that some ministers (not all) want Theresa May…

Penny Mordaunt is wrong on trans rights

24 March 2019 9:00

On Monday, the government announced that Penny Mordaunt, the Minister for Women and Equalities as well as the Secretary of…

The EU is a religion for Germans – no wonder Brexit is going so badly

24 March 2019 9:00

What makes me chuckle about the Brexiteers is how little they understand the German mindset. Here in Germany, the European…

MPs have reneged on Brexit, so what’s the point of voting?

24 March 2019 8:00

Katy Balls asks ‘Will there be an election?’ (16 March). That prompts the question: ‘To what purpose?’ Jeremy Corbyn may…

It’s time for the NHS to take care of British junior doctors

24 March 2019 7:00

For years, Britain has been failing to train enough doctors and has been importing them instead. This has been a…

Cabinet coup? Tory MPs look to Gove and Lidington to replace May

23 March 2019 22:07

Will Theresa May make it to the end of the week? It’s a question that’s been asked before of the…

MPs have one shot this week to prevent a no-deal Brexit

23 March 2019 19:50

As you know, I have been banging on about the probability that the UK will leave the EU without a…

KCL’s chilling clampdown on freedom of speech

23 March 2019 18:07

‘No Platforming’ and intolerance within the left are too often cited as the only reasons behind the purported demise of…

Revealed: No. 10 leak shows how May could delay Brexit without Parliament’s approval

23 March 2019 14:28

Ever since MPs first voted to trigger Article 50 everyone has been told that Britain, by law, will be leaving the…

What’s behind Britain’s obsession with video games?

23 March 2019 10:13

It is bad form to be a killjoy when it comes to gaming, so I will start by saying that…

With Trump’s endorsement, Netanyahu may survive

23 March 2019 9:34

Benjamin Netanyahu’s face at the online campaign event his Likud party hosted on Wednesday afternoon was pale and drawn. A…