Skip to Content

Coffee House

Manchester terror attack: what we know so far

24 May 2017

5:30 PM

24 May 2017

5:30 PM

What we know so far:

  • Police are hunting a ‘network’ in connection with the Manchester bombing, as they confirmed that the bomber was Salman Abedi, 22, who was born in Manchester to Libyan parents
  • Six people – including a woman – have so far been arrested in connection with the attack. One of those held by police is Abedi’s brother
  • Abedi’s father and younger brother have been arrested in Libya
  • Leaked photographs published in the New York Times appeared to show a detonator from the scene of the explosion
  • 22 people are confirmed to have died and 64 others injured, including a dozen children. 20 of those injured are in ‘critical care’ suffering from ‘horrific injuries’
  • The UK terror threat was raised to ‘critical’ as Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it seemed likely the bomber was not acting alone
  • The youngest victim of the bombing to be named so far is Saffie Rose Roussos, who was eight years old
  • The other victims named are: Olivia Campbell, 15; Georgina Callander, 18; Kelly Brewster, 32; Megan Hurley; Alison Howe, 44; Lisa Lees, 43; Angelika; Marcin Klis; John Atkinson, 26; Martyn Hett; Michelle Kiss; Helena Horton, 14; and Sorrell Leczkowski, 14
  • An off-duty police officer – who has not yet been named – was also killed during the attack
  • The Changing of the Guard was cancelled as soldiers were deployed to protect Buckingham Palace, Parliament and Downing Street

Police say they are hunting a ‘network’ of people in connection with the Manchester bombing. The warning from the chief constable of Greater Manchester Police Ian Hopkins came as heavily-armed officers carried out a controlled explosion during a raid on a flat in Manchester city centre this afternoon. It has also been confirmed that one of those killed in the attack was an off-duty police officer.

Britain’s terror threat level has been raised to ‘critical’ in the wake of the Manchester attack as Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it seemed likely bomber Salman Abedi was not acting alone. 22 people are confirmed to have died in the blast which left 59 others injured. A dozen of those hurt are children; 20 of those being treated in hospital are in a ‘critical’ condition suffering from ‘horrific injuries’. 11 of those who died in the Manchester Arena attack have so far been named. The youngest, Saffie Rose Roussos, was just eight years old. Olivia Campbell, 15; Georgina Callander, 18; Kelly Brewster, 32; Megan Hurley; Alison Howe, 44; Lisa Lees, 43; Angelika and Marcin Klis; John Atkinson, 26; and Martyn Hett, have also been named as victims of the attack. Police have confirmed that one of those killed was an off-duty police officer.

Police have so far arrested six people – including Salman Abedi’s brother – in connection with the bombing, which took place at about 10.30pm on Monday at the end of an Ariana Grande concert. Amber Rudd said that bomber Abedi, 22, was ‘known up to a point’ by the security services. The Daily Mail reported that the British-born bomber had only recently returned from a three-week trip to Libya.

Theresa May earlier described the attack as an act of ‘callous terrorism’ and said that ‘our way of life will always prevail’. The Prime Minister said last night that the decision to raise the terror threat level was a ‘proportionate and sensible response’ to the threat.

Politicians and world leaders have voiced their support for the United Kingdom following Monday’s attack. The Queen yesterday expressed her ‘deepest sympathy’ to those caught up in the attack and said the attack was an ‘act of barbarity’. Speaking on a trip to Israel, US President Donald Trump – who spoke to Theresa May to offer his condolences – described those responsible as ‘evil losers’. German Chancellor Angela Merkel – who cancelled a campaign event yesterday following the Manchester bombing – said that it was ‘incomprehensible that someone could use a joyful pop concert to kill or seriously injure so many people’.

Greater Manchester Police’s Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said that a ‘fast-moving investigation’ was now underway:

‘This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see. Families and young people were out to enjoy a concert at the Manchester Arena and have lost their lives. We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe, at this stage, the attack last night was conducted by one man. The priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network. The attacker, I can confirm, died at the scene. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity’.

This footage was filmed in the aftermath of the blast as revellers made their way to safety:

Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham described the bombing as an ‘evil act’:

Home Secretary Amber Rudd gives her reaction to the attack:

 

Police lead revellers to safety in the aftermath of the attack

Armed police patrol inside Victoria Station in Manchester

Police forensic officers outside the Manchester Arena

Police officers stand on duty on a cordoned-off road in Fallowfield, Manchester


Show comments
Close