The religious cleansing against Christians is intensifying in Nigeria, where Christians
have been told they have until Friday
to leave the country or face attacks by Islamic extremists. As I wrote recently in the Daily Telegraph, this is a trend sweeping the Middle East.
Thousands are fleeing Iraq and Egypt, but Nigeria is the scene of the most ferocious attacks. Its government condemns the attacks, but seems unable to respond to the Boko Haram menace. This from
the National Review:
‘Catholic archbishop John Onaiyekan, of Abuja, Nigeria’s capital city, appealed for help. “It’s a national tragedy. We are all unsecured. It’s not only Catholic.
Today it’s us. Tomorrow we don’t know who it will be,” he said. Nigeria’s Catholic bishops report that some 200 individuals, mostly Catholic worshippers, were killed in
the coordinated Christmas bombings…
…Archbishop Ade Job, president of the Episcopal Conference of Nigeria, issued a desperate plea: “Members of the Boko Haram sect have claimed responsibility for this shameful
crime against God and humanity. We use this opportunity to call on our peace-loving Muslims, especially their leaders from the political, economic, social, and religious spectrums, not only to
publicly denounce these acts, but for their own good and good of Nigeria… to do everything positive to end this movement… It is apparent that, if we depend only on our available active
security agents, we shall not make much progress. I therefore call on Mr. President to recall the retired experts in criminology and employ foreign experts in this field to assist the active
security agents to put an immediate end to [the] Boko Haram menace.”’
As I blogged last week, the Foreign Office has been reprehensibly slow to
respond to the new threat of religious cleansing. It should not be slow to offer whatever help and assistance the Nigerian government may need to stop this evil in its tracks.