coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Reshuffle, Kerfuffle

8 May 2007 11:33

Melissa Kite’s story in the Sunday Telegraph about a coming Tory reshuffle has ruffled feathers. This morning, via the indispensable Conservative Home, comes a highly personal attack on Kite from… Continue reading

2 Comments

Paralysis at Holyrood?

8 May 2007 10:48

The Scottish Parliament is often reported by London newsreaders as a proxy for Scottish public opinion. In truth, it’s an institution held in wide contempt – and the desultory 52%… Continue reading

1 Comment

The quiet dignity of the McCanns

8 May 2007 8:33

There can be no nightmare greater than the one the McCanns are currently living through. Throughout this Bank Holiday weekend I have found myself compulsively checking the news every hour… Continue reading

4 Comments

From black sheep of the family to president

7 May 2007 18:06

Tonight isn’t the first time that the Queen and George W. Bush have broken bread together at the White House. But the odds are that the conversation tonight will be… Continue reading

2 Comments

How good is Tony Blair’s French?

7 May 2007 17:00

Tony Blair’ send his congratulations–or should that be félicitations–to Nicolas Sarkozy.

3 Comments

Rain, glorious rain

7 May 2007 15:01

I don’t mean to diss the recent sunshine, but hasn’t the rain today been happy and glorious? An hour ago there were ancient, damp smells on the streets of my… Continue reading

1 Comment

The meaning of life

7 May 2007 14:55

Andrew Ferguson is one of America’s most accomplished conservative writers, but he is barely known here. That’s a pity because his sceptical pen would appeal to many English readers. The… Continue reading

1 Comment

How Sarko will cause trouble for Brown and Cameron

7 May 2007 10:53

Nicolas Sarkozy is going to cause problems for both Gordon Brown and David Cameron. The headache for Cameron, as Matt pointed out the other day, is that Sarkozy sounds far… Continue reading

1 Comment

The Gordfather

7 May 2007 8:42

"Barzini’s dead. So is Phillip Tattaglia — Moe Greene — Strachi — Cuneo — Today I settle all Family business." Remember that scene in The Godfather, where Michael Corleone tells… Continue reading

1 Comment

Sarkozy’s message to France

6 May 2007 20:13

Truly extraordinary scenes at the Salle Gaveau in the eighth arrondissement of Paris tonight. Shortly after the official exit polls announcing Sarko’s victory, thousands of his supporters sang the Marseillaise, with… Continue reading

1 Comment

Sarko, le Président

6 May 2007 19:20

It’s official: Sarkozy has won, probably by around 53.5%-46.5%. In the earliest ever concession speech in a French election, it took only until 8:03 French time for Sego to concede… Continue reading

0 Comments

The latest buzz on Reid’s resignation

6 May 2007 19:14

The latest Westminster gossip: he was told by Gordon Brown he wouldn’t be Home Secretary or Foreign Secretary—the only acceptable alternative for him. Perhaps Brown thought his cabinet would be… Continue reading

5 Comments

France’s only hope for reform triumphs

6 May 2007 17:48

It is now almost certain that Nicolas Sarkozy has been elected France’s next president, in a stunning victory for the centre-right candidate. This is great news for all of us… Continue reading

0 Comments

Exit polls predict Sarkozy win

6 May 2007 17:10

Belgium TV are reporting that Nicolas Sarkozy has got 53-54% of the vote in the French presidential election according to early exit polls. These are only exit polls but they… Continue reading

0 Comments

France votes

6 May 2007 16:59

Anything other than a Nicolas Sarkozy win this evening would be a huge upset. The latest polls show him with a 10 point lead over Ségolène Royal (pictured left). The… Continue reading

0 Comments

Reid resigns

6 May 2007 13:39

The unravelling of New Labour starts here. John Reid’s decision to quit the cabinet today is loaded with unanswered questions. He has said he’ll back Gordon Brown as leader, but… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown’s media management

6 May 2007 9:29

When John Major was at his most paranoid, he used to have every edition of the Evening Standard brought to him by a flunky in his study – whereupon he… Continue reading

0 Comments

McCain: I’ll pursue OBL "to the gates of hell"

5 May 2007 16:56

Thursday wasn’t only election night here, but also the first Republican primary debate of 2008. Over at Comment Central Daniel Finkelstein has a typically astute post on whether Republicans shouldn’t… Continue reading

2 Comments

If you like this…

5 May 2007 16:35

If you’re enjoying Coffee House, I do hope you’ll take a look at Stephen Pollard’s new blog and Clive Davis’s—which come complete with a photograph by PooterGeek.

1 Comment

Why Friday was a very good day

5 May 2007 9:17

Good news from Paris. No, not the capital of France which, it seems likely, will tomorrow crown Sarkozy its President. I mean the Hilton heiress, who was sent to jail… Continue reading

3 Comments

The ideal result

4 May 2007 21:55

When I was a reporter in the Scottish Parliament seven years ago, I wrote a piece on the life of the poor Hansard reporters up there. The MSPs were not… Continue reading

1 Comment

Is it too painful to say the Tories did well?

4 May 2007 19:37

Last night I said that it looked like being a mediocre result for David Cameron, well it looks like it was substantially better than that. The Tories have quietly rattled… Continue reading

4 Comments

The worst possible start for Brown

4 May 2007 18:52

I started the day unsure that the political landscape had changed but 12 hours is a long time in politics. Few moments deserve to be called historic, but the fall… Continue reading

3 Comments

Why PR is bad

4 May 2007 18:16

The situation about to unfold in Scotland is why I can’t stand PR. First of all, not one voter will get the government they actually voted for. Instead, politicians will… Continue reading

1 Comment

SNP the biggest party in the Scottish Parliament

4 May 2007 17:59

So, finally we know the news from Scotland and it’s not good for Gordon Brown. The SNP have 47 seats to Labour’s 46. During the campaign, the Lib Dems made… Continue reading

0 Comments