coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Team Brown’s psychological warfare

2 July 2007 10:36

Gordon Brown has spent a large part of his honeymoon trying to destabilise the other two parties. As Jackie Ashley, whose columns will be essential reading in this new Brown… Continue reading

2 Comments

Rocking with the Royals

2 July 2007 8:25

Last night’s Diana concert was ostensibly a tribute to the late princess on what would have been her 46th birthday. But its deeper function was – yet again – to… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown’s view of the terror threat

1 July 2007 17:20

The Brown doctrine on the war on terror is emerging more quickly than we might have expected and certainly than he would have wished. In his interview with Andrew Marr,… Continue reading

1 Comment

Report: Intelligence warned of Glasgow attack

1 July 2007 12:51

Interesting report from ABC News on the Glasgow attacks: “U.S. law enforcement officials received intelligence reports two weeks ago warning of a possible terror attack in Glasgow against "airport infrastructure… Continue reading

2 Comments

The Glasgow airport attack (updated)

30 June 2007 19:14

Were they Scottish? The response to the failed Glasgow airport attack will be dictated by the identity of the perpetrators. Early reports say Asian men were seen leaving the car,… Continue reading

7 Comments

Playing modern Britain

30 June 2007 14:22

I have been trying to work out why the idea of John Simm as the Master in Doctor Who is so compelling. By my calculation, Simm is the eighth actor… Continue reading

2 Comments

What Brown is doing

30 June 2007 11:41

Martin Kettle has a typically astute piece in The Guardian this morning. Kettle argues that Brown is trying to pull off the Sarkozy trick of demonstrating that the best, new… Continue reading

0 Comments

How sad are you to see Blair go?

29 June 2007 20:06

This four year old girl is very upset that Tony’s not Prime Minister any more and Gordon Brown just won’t do as a replacement. No word yet, though, on who… Continue reading

8 Comments

Why do politicians want to hire this man so badly?

29 June 2007 19:22

The former Met Chief Lord Stevens must be the most in-demand man in British politics. The Tories try and get him to run for London Mayor and then after they’ve… Continue reading

3 Comments

Tories and terror

29 June 2007 16:06

Tim Montgomerie, editor of Conservative Home, and Matthew d’Ancona are debating how the Tories should respond to Brown. You can read the first part of the debate here and the… Continue reading

5 Comments

Background reading

29 June 2007 15:53

With the news that Shriti Vadera, one of Gordon Brown’s closest aides, is to become a minister at DFID you might want to read this profile of her by Martin… Continue reading

0 Comments

Brown wins over a critic

29 June 2007 15:46

One of the strangest appointments to Gordon Brown’s new government is undoubtedly that of Digby Jones, the former boss of the CBI, as the new trade promotion minister. When he… Continue reading

2 Comments

An admirable choice

29 June 2007 15:11

Gordon Brown’s appointment of the former first Sea Lord Sir Alan West as Home Office Minister for Security is an immensely savvy move. West as a non-political figure will reassure… Continue reading

1 Comment

Smith passes her first test

29 June 2007 14:55

It’s often forgotten that a terrorist attack – successful or thwarted – is simply a mammoth political opportunity. Good performances can last for years. Rudi Giuliani is running for president… Continue reading

1 Comment

Spare a thought for Mrs Brown

29 June 2007 13:18

Which young Treasury wonk has which top job? It’s all too exciting, or too depressing or something. But spare a thought, if you have one lying fallow, for poor old… Continue reading

1 Comment

They are still there

29 June 2007 12:46

Further to James’ post, I am reminded of Gerry Adams’ famous line about the IRA: “They haven’t gone away, you know.”

1 Comment

The foiled London bomb

29 June 2007 10:47

One of the great delusions of our time is that once Blair, in the UK case, and Bush, in the American one, stepped down from office the terrorist threat would… Continue reading

8 Comments

Dinner with Supermac

29 June 2007 8:39

To the Cafe Royal to an excellent dinner hosted by the National Sporting Club with John McEnroe as the star turn. Before he took to the stage, Supermac chatted to… Continue reading

2 Comments

A very controlled peek at Brown’s first Cabinet meeting

28 June 2007 17:04

The Coffee House Debate

28 June 2007 16:41

Welcome to a debate between Tim Montgomerie, editor of Conservative Home, and Matthew d’Ancona on how the Tories should respond to the Brown challenge. Tim Montgomerie starts things off: Dear… Continue reading

8 Comments

Coming soon, the Tory reshuffle

28 June 2007 15:27

Shadow Cabinet members are being told that David Cameron’s reshuffle will happen next week, and that it will likely match Brown’s new team man for man (or woman). So David… Continue reading

1 Comment

Spice up your life

28 June 2007 15:16

To mark the Spice Girls getting back together we have dug out of the archive Simon Sebag Montefiore’s celebrated interview with them from the Christmas 1996 issue of The… Continue reading

1 Comment

A quick guide to the reshuffle

28 June 2007 14:53

Blair’s been interviewed by the police again, and the reformed Spice Girls are giving a press conference. So the reshuffle is not much news by comparison, but here are my… Continue reading

5 Comments

Kofi’s right-hand man to the FCO

28 June 2007 13:31

Mark Malloch-Brown, who spoke at the Tory conference last year and was Kofi Annan’s chief of staff, is going to be a junior minister at the FCO. This is more… Continue reading

1 Comment

Speaking of Gordon

28 June 2007 13:24

In honour of Gordon Brown becoming Prime Minister, I’ve posted an article that I wrote for the Spectator seven years ago in which I describe my disastrous Best Man speech… Continue reading

0 Comments