coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Olympian debate

20 May 2007 18:58

Should Scotland have its own Olympic team? Alex Salmond thinks so, and his point is far from trivial. For the SNP, politics is sport carried on by other means. I… Continue reading

4 Comments

Brown goes nuclear

20 May 2007 18:06

Today’s news that Gordon Brown will back the next generation of nuclear power plants is further proof of his desire to put the Tories on the back foot. Nuclear power… Continue reading

1 Comment

Irish notes

20 May 2007 10:10

In County Wexford on the South East coast of Ireland for the wedding of Number Ten strategist and Beatles fanatic, Steve Morris, to his beautiful bride, Tara Hopkins – complete… Continue reading

1 Comment

What Brown should say

19 May 2007 9:31

Frank Luntz, the US polling guru whose Newsnight focus group gave David Cameron a crucial boost in the Tory leadership election, has an interesting piece in today’s Guardian. He argues… Continue reading

1 Comment

Those with a past need not apply

18 May 2007 17:20

"George Bush could never get elected President if he went to Yale now," according to Google CEO Eric Schmidt. His argument is that he’d be caught on mobile phone cameras… Continue reading

1 Comment

Things got worse

18 May 2007 16:10

A fact I dropped into my political column has been picked up by Iain Dale and (rightly) questioned. Could unemployment for under-25s really be worse than under the Tories? I… Continue reading

3 Comments

Where left meets right

18 May 2007 12:55

Throughout the French presidential campaign Nicolas Sarkozy was lambasted by his critics as an American neo-con with a French passport. This description was excessive, but there’s little doubt that Sarkozy… Continue reading

0 Comments

Bad timing

18 May 2007 10:24

Good to see Paul Wolfowitz taking my advice. In a way the whole story’s about bad timing. For him, in the sense that a relatively insignificant and disputable allegation of… Continue reading

0 Comments

Gordon’s court

18 May 2007 8:02

There is plenty of baffled commentary in this morning’s newspapers about the strange US-style transition arrangements between the Blair and Brown regimes – see for instance this leader in the… Continue reading

1 Comment

The end of an era

18 May 2007 0:19

The last Bush-Blair press conference marks the end of an era. However, close the relationship between Bush and Brown turns out to be—and I expect it will be closer than… Continue reading

0 Comments

A convenient quote

17 May 2007 16:43

It is the worst kept secret in Washington—and that is saying something—that Al Gore and Hillary Clinton don’t get on. Many DC insiders have long claimed that Gore would get… Continue reading

1 Comment

Have I gone soft on Brown?

17 May 2007 14:37

My political column has only just been published, and already I’m getting stick for being soft on Gordon Brown. Here’s my case: few can deny Brown has great political skills,… Continue reading

1 Comment

Museum piece

17 May 2007 14:07

What are museums for? I wish I’d never asked the question but I did once unfortunately in a Douglas-Home-Memorial-Prize-winning essay which caused a bit of a stink in the increasingly… Continue reading

4 Comments

Cricket lovely cricket

17 May 2007 12:23

It is hard to utter the phrase “glorious summer of sport” with a straight face today thanks to the grim drizzle that is our lot but the sporting summer is… Continue reading

0 Comments

Scotland’s new leader

17 May 2007 8:04

So Alex Salmond has become Scotland’s first minister, with no  majority. If he can’t legislate, his administration may be the best Holyrood has had yet. Its hard to think of… Continue reading

2 Comments

The man who crowned Gordon

16 May 2007 21:15

In politics, as in life, destiny is a capricious business. Andrew Mackinlay, the Labour MP for Thurrock, must have assumed that it was his bleak fate to be remembered as… Continue reading

3 Comments

Why Willetts is right

16 May 2007 18:00

Is it just me, or is David Willetts largely right in the great Tory grammar school row? Ah yes, it would appear to be just me who thinks so. That… Continue reading

3 Comments

Fancy a ciggie?

16 May 2007 16:48

If a man can’t smoke what can he do?

0 Comments

Disraeli’s ghost

16 May 2007 16:38

Grammars were the nearest we got to breaking the hold of the old school tie on our society.

0 Comments

An American in Notting Hill

16 May 2007 16:36

Favourite story about Hockney si that when his mother came to see him in LA she wondered why no one was drying their washing in the sunshine!

0 Comments

Lord of the ratings

16 May 2007 16:26

Now, I am as much a fan of reality television as the next man, but there are limits. It’s one thing to take inspiration from Golding’s Lord of the Flies… Continue reading

1 Comment

The Grammar School row

16 May 2007 14:58

We’ve just posted our editorial which is a strong attack on the Tories for their anti-grammar school stance. Scroll down for further comment on the subject from Matthew d’Ancona and… Continue reading

0 Comments

No smoke without ire

16 May 2007 14:34

In yesterday’s Guardian, there was a literally smokin’ hot piece lpiece by David Hockney (because our greatest living artist was pictured wreathed happily in cigarette smoke to accompany the piece)… Continue reading

2 Comments

A flaw in project Cameron

16 May 2007 13:06

Broadly speaking, I’m impressed by the Cameroon project: Dave is right to face down his critics and stick with his strategy to “decontaminate the brand”. Yes, we in the Westminster… Continue reading

2 Comments

Have you earned pudding?

16 May 2007 11:53

For those counting calories, there’s a website just for you: www.walkit.com not only gives you written directions plus map on how to walk from A to B (central London only)… Continue reading

2 Comments