coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Gore’s message is confusing, can Geri be clearer?

7 July 2007 23:05

Al Gore’s message to the planet is that the cavalry are not the cavalry: the American Indians are the cavalry. An Inconvenient Truth? More confusing than inconvenient, I would say.… Continue reading

1 Comment

Rocking for the planet

7 July 2007 15:28

After a jurassic start, the joint is jumping now: Razorlight were as sharp as their name, and Dundee’s finest, Snow Patrol, turned in a stunning set, the highlight of which… Continue reading

1 Comment

Live from Live Earth

7 July 2007 14:07

At Wembley Stadium for Live Earth: host Chris Moyles has just tried to sell a used 4×4 to two billion people watching the great eco-event. The atmosphere is indeed amazing.… Continue reading

1 Comment

Al Gore’s musical past

7 July 2007 10:10

Al Gore has done a Q&A with Independent readers ahead of today’s Live Earth concerts and while most of the exchanges are rather predictably about carbon offsetting, food miles, Gore’s… Continue reading

0 Comments

The Tour de France starts here

6 July 2007 20:48

Yesterday, I rode up the Ballon d’Alsace, a mountain in the Vosges range that was the first hill ever included in the Tour de France, which starts this Saturday in… Continue reading

0 Comments

Poll: A majority of Americans favour impeaching Cheney

6 July 2007 18:19

If you want to get an idea of how unpopular Dick Cheney has become, consider this: 54% of American think the House of Representatives should impeach him.

0 Comments

We have an answer…it’s Charlie Kennedy

6 July 2007 16:43

Earlier in the week Coffee House asked who would be the first public figure to fall foul of the smoking ban and it appears we have an answer. BBC News… Continue reading

2 Comments

Another Mayoral twist

6 July 2007 15:51

The latest development in the saga of who will be the Tory candidate to take on Red Ken is the Tory claim that Digby Jones wanted to be their candidate,… Continue reading

0 Comments

Brown takes a page from the Clinton playbook

6 July 2007 12:28

Gordon Brown told the BBC this morning that he’ll be holidaying in Britain this year. Dick Morris will be proud! With all his Middle Britain pleasing micro-initiatives–flying the flag over… Continue reading

0 Comments

Where Cherie goes wrong

6 July 2007 10:17

Fiona Millar has a piece in The Guardian today defending herself from some of the implicit criticisms made of her in the Cherie Blair documentary. Much of the criticism Cherie… Continue reading

0 Comments

A swell party

6 July 2007 7:47

Last night, The Spectator celebrated its (modern) birthday, July 5, 1828, and its move to the heart of Westminster with the magazine’s annual summer party. It isn’t for me to… Continue reading

7 Comments

Cameron takes on the broken society agenda

5 July 2007 17:59

The Spectator last week ran a piece by Andrew Neil saying "Memo to Gordon: it’s the Broken Society, stupid." Was his memo intercepted? Because David Cameron has today given a… Continue reading

5 Comments

Our news from America

5 July 2007 16:54

British police are infuriatingly tight-lipped about terror investigations. But they do talk to American counterparts, who are less guarded with American journalists, so often the US media is first with… Continue reading

1 Comment

Back on the trail

5 July 2007 16:14

Mark Halperin has a great piece in Time magazine about the Clintons going on the trail together in Iowa and how Bill is adjusting to playing second fiddle.

0 Comments

Inflated criticism

5 July 2007 13:27

It will be terribly painful for those of us with mortgages but the Bank of England has done the right thing. Interest rates in the UK are now 5.75%; and… Continue reading

0 Comments

Paying to keep people poor

5 July 2007 12:01

Buying the Big Issue magazine is never an act of charity. Its content is well worth the cover price, especially when John Bird, its founder, writes on social issues. His… Continue reading

4 Comments

RIP George Melly

5 July 2007 10:23

So farewell, George Melly. There isn’t much fun left in jazz any more; it takes itself so seriously. George didn’t — always having fun, listening to his favourite Bessie… Continue reading

1 Comment

From Rousseau to Blears

5 July 2007 8:08

"The English people believes itself to be free; it is gravely mistaken; it is free only during election of members of parliament; as soon as the members are elected, the… Continue reading

2 Comments

Appearances Matter

4 July 2007 18:52

Perched high up in the press gallery for PMQs, I didn’t see Cameron’s superb sneer when Brown moaned he’s only been in the job for five days (seven, actually, Gordon… Continue reading

3 Comments

Official: Spectator backs Boris

4 July 2007 18:05

No more than a formality, of course, and the least I can do as the great man’s successor in the Editor’s chair. As a Londoner, I know he would… Continue reading

7 Comments

Will Boris run?

4 July 2007 16:34

Nick Robinson doesn’t take fliers. The more calls I make on this Boris for London story, the more true it seems: wheels are indeed in motion. Perhaps what he needs… Continue reading

18 Comments

Two views on the Fourth

4 July 2007 15:13

The late David Halberstam—author of The Best and the Brightest—has a posthumously published essay in Vanity Fair on Bush’s misuse of history. He charges that the Bush administration lives in… Continue reading

1 Comment

Boris for Mayor?

4 July 2007 12:53

Nick Robinson is suggesting that Boris Johnson may run for London mayor. I can tell you that Boris was unofficially sounded out at the Tory summer party last year, and… Continue reading

9 Comments

Brown’s first PMQs

4 July 2007 12:43

A packed house and full of entertainment. Ming Campbell spent ages trying to make his way to his seat: people didn’t seem to notice him. Brown was wearing a pastel… Continue reading

3 Comments

Flagging up a problem

4 July 2007 11:42

Strange to see Gordon Brown dropping the phrase "war on terror" while asking (through today’s Sun) that we all fly Union Flags to show war-style defiance against terrorism. I admire… Continue reading

3 Comments