coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Lord of the ratings

16 May 2007 16:26

Now, I am as much a fan of reality television as the next man, but there are limits. It’s one thing to take inspiration from Golding’s Lord of the Flies… Continue reading

1 Comment

The Grammar School row

16 May 2007 14:58

We’ve just posted our editorial which is a strong attack on the Tories for their anti-grammar school stance. Scroll down for further comment on the subject from Matthew d’Ancona and… Continue reading

0 Comments

No smoke without ire

16 May 2007 14:34

In yesterday’s Guardian, there was a literally smokin’ hot piece lpiece by David Hockney (because our greatest living artist was pictured wreathed happily in cigarette smoke to accompany the piece)… Continue reading

2 Comments

A flaw in project Cameron

16 May 2007 13:06

Broadly speaking, I’m impressed by the Cameroon project: Dave is right to face down his critics and stick with his strategy to “decontaminate the brand”. Yes, we in the Westminster… Continue reading

2 Comments

Have you earned pudding?

16 May 2007 11:53

For those counting calories, there’s a website just for you: www.walkit.com not only gives you written directions plus map on how to walk from A to B (central London only)… Continue reading

2 Comments

Should Wolfowitz walk?

16 May 2007 10:59

An interesting item by Tom Regan on the US National Public Radio blog points out that while our own Daily Telegraph and Guardian and Germany’s Der Spiegel all focus heavily… Continue reading

1 Comment

A brainless policy

16 May 2007 9:13

There is something phenomenally depressing about the relish with which the Tories are burying grammar schools. Here are the most effective implements of social mobility this country has ever had—by… Continue reading

1 Comment

Background to the reshuffle row

15 May 2007 18:28

If you wondering what the above row is all about here’s Melissa’s orginial Sunday Telegraph piece,  Iain’s comment on it and Alan Duncan’s remarks.

0 Comments

Melissa Kite bites back

15 May 2007 14:38

Tory blogging is close to death, I can announce. It’s been in intensive care for some time thanks to the meanderings of Iain Dale and the endless pronouncements of ConservativeHome… Continue reading

23 Comments

The PM we’ll never have

15 May 2007 13:08

Well, so long, after not so long to Michael Meacher, a man who was never leader, nor was meant to be. ‘Pleased to’ Meacher was his nickname around here, because… Continue reading

1 Comment

Documentary evidence

15 May 2007 11:41

Some of the best journalism never appears in print, which is why it’s a tragedy that documentaries are so tough to get hold of once broadcast. I was being treated… Continue reading

1 Comment

Smile, you’re on camera

15 May 2007 11:33

This titbit from The Sun is too good not to pass on: One of Jack Straw’s aides currently assigned to make Gordon Brown personable has come up with a rather… Continue reading

0 Comments

Brown’s ideal opponent

15 May 2007 8:33

Further to what James posted on John McDonnell, I have always thought that Gordon wanted a leftwing candidate to run. It provides him with the illusion of a contest and… Continue reading

1 Comment

Prescott’s choice

15 May 2007 8:28

What did the affable and able Alan Johnson ever do to deserve the support of John Prescott in the Labour Deputy Leadership race? It’s the evolutionary equivalent of homo sapiens… Continue reading

2 Comments

Iran’s nuclear breakthrough

15 May 2007 0:29

Do read this alarming story from the New York Times about Iran’s nuclear programme and their new found ability to "enrich uranium on a far larger scale than before." This… Continue reading

2 Comments

Dress down diplomacy

14 May 2007 19:04

Sadly direct talks between Iran and the United States won’t persuade Tehran to stop causing trouble in Iraq or halt work on its nuclear programme. Indeed, I think the mantra… Continue reading

0 Comments

He’ll keep the Red Flag flying high

14 May 2007 16:49

Gordon Brown’s retro opponent will be John McDonnell as Michael Meacher has dropped out. So Gordon will get to spend the next few months explaining why Labour’s 1983 manifesto is not… Continue reading

0 Comments

Understanding the lives of others

14 May 2007 16:23

The New York Review of Books has a fantastic piece by Tim Garton Ash on the Stasi, pegged to The Lives of Others, which is one of the best explorations… Continue reading

1 Comment

Rudy’s rock

14 May 2007 12:21

If you want to understand Rudy Giuliani do read this gripping piece from New York magazine on his relationship with his third wife, Judith. Considering how much of a vulnerability… Continue reading

0 Comments

Eurovision diplomacy

14 May 2007 9:20

I’ve heard the Iraq war blamed for many things but this one takes the biscuit. According to an analyst on the Today Programme, our abject failure in the Eurovision Song Contest is… Continue reading

2 Comments

Barack O’Bama

14 May 2007 0:05

Do read this charming Washington Post story about the small Irish village which records suggest Barack Obama’s ancestors hailed from.

0 Comments

Breakfast with Brown

13 May 2007 11:47

On Sunday-AM this morning Helena Kennedy and I were the warm up act for Rufus Wainwright and Gordon Brown. Both men are on tour at the moment so it was… Continue reading

1 Comment

Homes are where the votes are

13 May 2007 11:32

Gordon Brown is to “set out his plans to build 100,000 houses in five eco-towns”. That’ll keep him busy. But it’s the Sunday Times splash and has wrong-footed the Tories… Continue reading

1 Comment

Harry Potter and the amazing royalties

12 May 2007 17:13

Simon Hoggart’s always excellent Saturday column in the Guardian has this great snippet about the publishing phenomenon that is Harry Potter: The other day a friend of mine signed up… Continue reading

1 Comment

Don’t wait 28 weeks to see this

12 May 2007 11:23

Since Coffee House is always keen to recommend guilty pleasures, it is only right to say that 28 Weeks Later is a splendid multiplex movie. More than just another zombie… Continue reading

2 Comments