coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Has the Democratic race shifted?

5 May 2008 15:36

Chapel Hill, North Carolina Being away from the States, I had not realised just how much Obama is now on the back foot. While Clinton and her surrogates seem, to… Continue reading

10 Comments

Boris revisited

5 May 2008 15:34

Over at the Spectator 180th anniversary blog, we’re holding a mini-celebration of all things Boris.  How did Our Man get on in post-Saddam Baghdad?  What does he think of our… Continue reading

1 Comment

Who’s next?

5 May 2008 13:39

Ladbrokes has just updated its odds for the next Labour leader. Which of the below names would have the ability to unite Labour against Brown, successfully trigger a leadership challenge,… Continue reading

26 Comments

Will Brown go?

5 May 2008 10:57

“They say that Gladstone was at the Treasury from 1860 to 1930. I intend to be Minister of Labour from 1940 to 1990”- Ernest Bevin The five scariest words you… Continue reading

54 Comments

The next round

5 May 2008 4:36

I’m out in North Carolina for the next few days for the latest instalment in the Hillary and Obama show. North Carolina is the biggest state still to vote and… Continue reading

3 Comments

Brown bombs on Boulton

4 May 2008 21:51

I’ve just got round to watching Gordon Brown’s interview with Adam Boulton and it makes his performance on Marr look good. He looked tired and sounded grumpy throughout. Perhaps the… Continue reading

23 Comments

Outfoxing Brown

4 May 2008 18:01

Brown’s breathtakingly bad performance on Marr risks overlooking Liam Fox’s brilliant one. As Andrew Porter has said, word perfect. We see too little of Fox for my liking. Like David… Continue reading

10 Comments

Brown fails to relaunch

4 May 2008 10:29

A friend of mine, a BBC producer, sends this text message: “I’m watching the PM ‘relaunch’ from behind the sofa. The slow public death of Mr Brown continues. Painful to… Continue reading

73 Comments

So, what should Gordon do now?

4 May 2008 9:46

There’s lots of advice for Gordon Brown in today’s papers. Perhaps, the most interesting comes from Matthew Taylor, a key adviser under Blair. "After waiting a few days to avoid… Continue reading

11 Comments

Was this actually Labour’s worst result since World War One?

4 May 2008 9:20

I would like to call on the collective wisdom of CoffeeHousers. I have read everywhere that Thursday was Labour’s worst result for 40 years, whereas it looks to me as… Continue reading

4 Comments

Some questions for the Tories to ponder

3 May 2008 18:33

Charles Moore’s column in the Telegraph today rightly praises the Tories for their impressive election performance. But he also raises some issues which the party are going to have to… Continue reading

18 Comments

Boris speaks

3 May 2008 18:25

For those who missed it, here’s Boris’ victory speech from City Hall last night.  His tribute to Ken is a highlight:

9 Comments

The great what-if

3 May 2008 15:54

The Tories’ recent success has got people looking back to Gordon Brown’s failure to call a general election in October last year.  In today’s Sun, George Pascoe-Watson calls that decision "one of… Continue reading

20 Comments

What’s next?

3 May 2008 14:21

The calls for Labour to get rid of Gordon Brown come from both the left (Martin Kettle) and the right (Matthew Parris) in this morning’s newspapers. It still seems almost… Continue reading

8 Comments

Boris: the vanguard of a Tory revolution?

3 May 2008 12:24

I’ve just been enjoying a cup of tea in my local cafe (Jose’s, Morden), and listening to the general chatter about Boris’ stunning election victory.  Here, at least, there’s a bit… Continue reading

8 Comments

Mayor Johnson

3 May 2008 1:44

Scroll down for full Coffee House coverage. Here are some selected highlights: Matthew d’Ancona congratulates Boris. Mary Wakefield reflects on how Boris and Ken came to like each other during… Continue reading

7 Comments

Can Brown change?

3 May 2008 1:23

When Gordon Brown was enjoying his honeymoon nine short months ago, you would have got long odds on the Tories winning London and being twenty points ahead of Labour in… Continue reading

17 Comments

It is official: Boris has won

3 May 2008 0:17

It is confirmed, Boris Johnson is the next Mayor of London. Boris won by close to 140,000 votes once second preferences had been counted, a 53 to 47 margin. Boris’s… Continue reading

7 Comments

Congratulations Boris

2 May 2008 22:39

Greetings to all CoffeeHousers from the 29th Floor of Millbank Tower, where the faithful have gathered to toast our new Mayor – who, poor fellow, is stuck at the count… Continue reading

24 Comments

Boris’s secret weapon: driving the left crazy

2 May 2008 22:28

The conventional wisdom is to regard Mayor Boris as a loose cannon and, ergo, a liability to Cameron. But he may help oust Brown by another skill that has only… Continue reading

12 Comments

The wait goes on

2 May 2008 21:07

"Boris is the Mayor" proclaims the Evening Standard. News to the rest of us, anxiously waiting. The poor souls must have held back the edition for a 5pm result, and… Continue reading

6 Comments

The Evening Standard calls it for Boris

2 May 2008 20:06

Still no official word, but The Evening Standard has declared Boris the winner.

3 Comments

The week that was

2 May 2008 19:15

Peter Hoskin reports from Israel on life in the town of Sderot, and on efforts to forge peace with Syria. James Forsyth says Gordon Brown has spectacularly failed his first… Continue reading

1 Comment

Blair trumps Brown (again)

2 May 2008 18:41

If Brown feels like taking his mind off things, he shouldn’t flick through the latest Time 100 – the magazine’s annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.  Thing… Continue reading

0 Comments

When will we get a result?

2 May 2008 18:00

Dire rumours flying about the Mayoral count, hopefully all untrue. The worst is that we may not have a winner by midnight. Adam Boulton at Sky News confident of getting… Continue reading

4 Comments