coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The billion dollar president?

20 June 2007 20:39

Republicans have had very little to cheer recently. The party’s approval rating in the NBC/Wall Street Journal poll is at a record low of 28% and the implosion of the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Rebellion is in the genes

20 June 2007 19:26

Like father, like son: my old friend Malcolm McLaren’s son, Joe Corre, has rejected his MBE, accusing Tony Blair of being “morally bankrupt”. As manager of the Sex Pistols, Situationist… Continue reading

1 Comment

The latest from Brussels

20 June 2007 15:21

Mark Mardell has a useful post on the progress of the European Treaty negotiations. His blog will be essential reading over the next few days.

0 Comments

Blair’s penultimate PMQs

20 June 2007 12:54

Blair was good today, buzzing, contemptuous and articulate. Cameron was better. He was on top of the facts and ready with sound bites ("he’ll release more prisoners this year than… Continue reading

1 Comment

One for the reading list

20 June 2007 12:47

Sometimes a book is so compelling you have to recommend it before you’ve finished it. I might have known that Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia by… Continue reading

2 Comments

The case against the Rushdie knighthood

20 June 2007 12:07

Yesterday, I was happily thundering away against all the hand-wringing over the Rushdie knighthood when a friend brought me up short my making a rather good case against it. The… Continue reading

2 Comments

What we shall do with the deputy PM?

20 June 2007 11:09

The Times today comes up with some new sea shanties for our times. My favourite is The Guardian’s ditty about John Prescott – click here if you haven’t seen it.… Continue reading

1 Comment

And now the end is near

20 June 2007 10:09

And so the cavalcade of farewell parties proceeds towards the terminus of June 27 and Tony Blair’s last bow. Last night, it was the turn of Lord Levy to say… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown to bring Lib Dems into the cabinet?

20 June 2007 8:25

Today’s Guardian reports that Brown is considering bringing a Lib Dem or two into the government. My gut reaction is that the Lib Dems would be fools to accept the… Continue reading

2 Comments

The next Reagan?

19 June 2007 22:20

Fred Thompson, the man many are hailing as the saviour of the Republican party and who you probably know best from his roles in Hunt for Red October, In the… Continue reading

0 Comments

The only reason to knight Rushdie

19 June 2007 14:05

I can’t really comment on Salman Rushdie as a literary figure, since I tried and failed three times to get beyond the opening 50 pages of Midnight’s Children.  I can… Continue reading

18 Comments

Ageism Watch

19 June 2007 13:57

The departure of Nick Ross from “Crimewatch” is a sad victory for the worst kind of criteria now being applied in television. Nobody disputes the importance of appearance on screen… Continue reading

1 Comment

Blair, Brown and the tussle in Brussels

19 June 2007 9:56

Two days to go and already the European Union summit is promising to be a cliffhanger. Will Blair sign? Will the Poles and the Czechs save him, and veto? No10… Continue reading

5 Comments

The reality behind the slogan

19 June 2007 9:50

Power to the People! Or not? The unmissable Steve Richards has a good piece in today’s Indy about “people power”. Every politician says he is in favour it: how could… Continue reading

1 Comment

The Downing Street divide

19 June 2007 8:54

This front page story in The Guardian about the Blair Brown relationship is essential reading for anyone who thinks that the whole Blair Brown feud is something got up and… Continue reading

1 Comment

No laughing matter

18 June 2007 19:13

I must admit that I disagree with Matt about Bernard Manning. The man was a deeply unpleasant bully and while others who ‘say the unsayable’—Borat, for instance—are actually ridiculing racism,… Continue reading

9 Comments

Why we laughed

18 June 2007 17:46

The death of Bernard Manning marks the end of an era in comedy and will force liberals once again to wrestle with the question: why was a man who ought… Continue reading

1 Comment

Why the Tories picked Tooting

18 June 2007 16:35

I’ve now learnt why today’s event was held in Tooting. First, my former home is now considered a bellwether target seat, and second the candidate in question – Mark Clarke –… Continue reading

2 Comments

The shame of Abu Ghraib

18 June 2007 16:23

This New Yorker piece by Sy Hersh on the Pentagon’s indifference to the investigation into the Ahu Graib torture scandal makes for depressing reading, although the general in charge of it does… Continue reading

0 Comments

Citizen Cameron

18 June 2007 14:25

Why Tooting Broadway? Of all the places in London, why would David Cameron choose this decaying corner of South London to launch his new agenda? It is in the public… Continue reading

13 Comments

Throwing the baby out with the bath water

18 June 2007 12:15

It seems that as part of the Cameroon mid-course correction, they’ll no longer be talking about being the heir to Blair. I think this is a big mistake, but I… Continue reading

2 Comments

The dangers of doing policy in public

18 June 2007 10:26

David Cameron’s rebalancing speech is getting strong reviews from Conservative Home, The Telegraph and Iain Dale. The speech is certainly more conciliatory towards his party than much of what Cameron… Continue reading

1 Comment

Cameron’s new pitch

18 June 2007 8:26

A big day for David Cameron. His speech on what divides the Conservatives from Gordon Brown is billed in the Telegraph as the speech of his leadership. Their political correspondent… Continue reading

3 Comments

Campaign Literature

17 June 2007 22:44

This essay by the US political commentator Michael Barone does a cracking job of explaining why 2008 presidential politics is so dynamic compared to the predictable politics of polarization that have dominated the… Continue reading

3 Comments

An interesting day out

17 June 2007 18:29

Back from Interesting 2007, a daylong festival of creativity in the Web 2.0 world at the Conway Hall in Red Lion Square, and organised by the peerless Russell Davies (check… Continue reading

2 Comments