coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The ECHR rules supreme

29 June 2008 19:10

Sometimes you really do wonder if Labour’s wide-eyed Euro supporters realise just how tightly they have tied their own hands. Take Jack Straw, proposing new “emergency legislation” to allow anonymous… Continue reading

26 Comments

The rape of democracy

29 June 2008 15:42

Now this is unsurprising: Robert Mugabe is being sworn in as Zimbabwe’s president for another five years, after winning the recent "run-off" election by a landslide. I guess this is his… Continue reading

14 Comments

Video: Wendy Alexander’s resignation statement

29 June 2008 13:17

For those who missed it yesterday, here’s footage of Wendy Alexander’s resignation statement:

8 Comments

1066 votes, and all that

29 June 2008 7:58

John Major’s mistake was to believe time would be a healer. It was not for him, nor will it be for Gordon Brown. Instead of nursing his wounds from the… Continue reading

47 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

29 June 2008 7:46

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.… Continue reading

0 Comments

Could the SNP win out?

28 June 2008 19:22

With a 13,500 Labour majority, Glasgow East is as unwinnable for the SNP as Crewe was for the Tories. Expectation here in Edinburgh is that the election will take place… Continue reading

21 Comments

The referendum pantomine

28 June 2008 17:06

I’ve been catching up with some old friends here in Edinburgh and in between speculation about what will happen next – the Glasgow East by election would be miles worse… Continue reading

7 Comments

Race relations in Zimbabwe

28 June 2008 15:50

Sometimes the façade cracks. Despite official rhetoric branding white Zimbabweans as everything from ‘traitors’ to (that perennial government favourite) ‘economic saboteurs’, race relations on the ground are quietly healthy. Even,… Continue reading

3 Comments

She was not up to the job

28 June 2008 12:13

I’m in Edinburgh right now, and read the morning press with suspicion. It’s full of quotes from Wendy Alexander’s friends saying she would not stand down at all. Hmm. What… Continue reading

22 Comments

Breaking: Wendy Alexander to step down

28 June 2008 9:32

It’s being reported that Wendy Alexander is set to step down.  No details yet, but it’s almost certainly over her donations scandal. Coffee House will bring you more on this… Continue reading

15 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

28 June 2008 9:24

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.… Continue reading

3 Comments

Where it all went wrong for Brown – your verdict

28 June 2008 0:17

As of midnight, the voting on where it all went wrong for Brown stood as follows: The election that wasn’t  —  24.4% His addiction to Brownies  —  17.1% The 10p… Continue reading

8 Comments

The week that was

27 June 2008 18:20

Some highlights of the week on Spectator.co.uk The new CoffeeHousers’ Wall feature has been launched. David Davis answers CoffeeHousers’ questions. We ask CoffeeHousers to vote on where it all went… Continue reading

0 Comments

McDonnell: Brown’s leading Labour to extinction

27 June 2008 17:08

The Labour MP John McDonnell has written a piece for Comment is Free.  I’d recommend you read it – it’s one of the most significant displays of Brown-bashing so far. Like… Continue reading

16 Comments

Blair at 33/1 to be next Labour leader

27 June 2008 16:24

After Labour’s disastrous showing in Henley, William Hill have re-calibrated their odds for when Brown will leave office and for who will succeed him. Miliband’s favourite to be the next… Continue reading

10 Comments

The streets fall silent, as Zimbabweans head to the polls

27 June 2008 15:47

Harare, Zimbabwe A battered peace holds on the streets and townships of Harare on poll day. After months of virulent political campaigning the streets have fallen silent; there are few… Continue reading

4 Comments

Vote now: where did it all go wrong for Brown?

27 June 2008 14:40

Over the past week, we’ve been running a series of articles analysing where it all went wrong for Gordon Brown over the past year.  Here are the relevant links: Peter… Continue reading

22 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

27 June 2008 13:42

0 Comments

Ashdown on Brown’s chances

27 June 2008 13:16

Lord Ashdown is interviewed by Andrew Neil on BBC News’ Straight Talk this weekend.  And Coffee House has been forwarded a few advance quotes.  I think this, from Ashdown, is minor classic: "I… Continue reading

10 Comments

Don’t shoot the critic

27 June 2008 12:32

Tom Harris says I was “predictably cruel” to Khalid Mahmood who (perhaps deliberately) died on his feet at PMQs. How hard is it to ask a question, I said. “Well,… Continue reading

13 Comments

Where it all went wrong for Brown: an uncontested rise to power

27 June 2008 10:23

This is the fourth in our series of posts looking at where it all went wrong for Gordon Brown.  The first, second and third are here, here and here, respectively. When did it all… Continue reading

20 Comments

Henley result adds to Brown’s woes

27 June 2008 9:01

After the drama of Crewe & Nantwich, yesterday’s by-election in Henley looked as though it would be a forgettable affair. After all, Boris’s old constituency is as safe a Tory… Continue reading

15 Comments

Where it all went wrong for Brown: he’s addicted to Brownies

26 June 2008 19:05

This is the third in our series of posts looking at where it all went wrong for Gordon Brown.  The first and second are here and here, respectively. Assessing Gordon… Continue reading

23 Comments

The positive component of Brown’s legacy

26 June 2008 18:13

Walking down Whitehall the other day on a beautiful summer’s evening, it struck me what Gordon Brown’s positive legacy will be: the flags flying on top of public buildings. When… Continue reading

18 Comments

A Coffee House challenge

26 June 2008 16:35

With the polls suggesting that there’s very little chance of a Brown comeback—according to ICM only 24 percent of people think that Labour can win the next election if Brown’s… Continue reading

51 Comments