coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The first act of Tony’s long goodbye

10 May 2007 15:14

The Spectator’s theatre critic Lloyd Evans has done a very funny review of Blair’s performance for us. Do give it a read.

1 Comment

Tony and Clio

10 May 2007 14:05

Blair has achieved what all successful British Prime Ministers achieve: he has changed both his own party and the opposition. David Cameron would not exist politically without Tony Blair, in the… Continue reading

2 Comments

The showman leaves the stage

10 May 2007 13:49

Dogs bark, cats miaow, Blair gives superb speeches. His latest farewell remarks were no exception, and there were a few misty eyes here in 22 Old Queen Street. Not mine,… Continue reading

2 Comments

The view from across the pond

10 May 2007 13:32

Richard Perle, neo-con policy intellectual, sends in his thoughts on Blair and British ingratitude: I’m sorry to see him go as I was sorry to see the departures of Thatcher… Continue reading

3 Comments

Was that the long awaited Iraq apology?

10 May 2007 13:10

The stage was set for a high-energy celebration this afternoon. There was clapping, music, and a woman in black and white dancing near the podium. But by the standards of… Continue reading

2 Comments

Coming up on the site today

10 May 2007 12:48

We’ll have lots more coming up on Coffee House today. Highlights include a review of Blair’s performance by The Spectator’s theatre critic Lloyd Evans and a debate on what the… Continue reading

0 Comments

New Labour: New Patriotism

10 May 2007 12:34

The most striking thing about that speech was its unabashed patriotism. What started with the bulldog in the party political broadcast in 1997, finished with those words about Britain being… Continue reading

2 Comments

The PM of the middle classes

10 May 2007 11:57

Tony Blair possessed many of the qualities of a good – perhaps even great – Prime Minister.  He was clever, brave and held deep convictions.  My complaint against him –… Continue reading

1 Comment

The passion of Tony

10 May 2007 11:45

As a keen subscriber to Channel Four’s Snowmail service, I immediately opened its email promising “breaking news”. And the news? Tony Blair has “just touched down on Teeside prior to a… Continue reading

1 Comment

10 years on

10 May 2007 11:32

Tony Blair has just got out of his car and is walking down the street, hugging and embracing Labour supporters. It is a recreation of that famous walk down Downing… Continue reading

0 Comments

Bye, Bye Blair

10 May 2007 8:13

It’s going to be a very interesting day, and we will be keeping you up to date with commentary and review of Blair’s performance. Don’t forget our unmissable special supplement… Continue reading

1 Comment

What if?

9 May 2007 19:33

Andrew Roberts is nothing less than the jewel in the crown of the Daily Mail, and he has written a very funny piece for that paper about what the world… Continue reading

7 Comments

The hidden hand of the web

9 May 2007 18:55

Fabulous piece by P.J. O’Rourke on Adam Smith as inventor of the web. "I wonder if the know-it-alls at Wikipedia realize that the Internet was fully described and completely understood… Continue reading

1 Comment

RIP Isabella Blow

9 May 2007 18:35

Isabella Blow passed away on Monday morning and took with her much of what made London a fashion capital. She was original and funny and the antithesis of Philip Green… Continue reading

1 Comment

Watch that man

9 May 2007 18:28

Last Friday, flanked by rows of books and the Blutack-flecked walls of the children’s section of Brixton Library, against a backdrop of wailing sirens, the brilliant Phillip Jeays played to… Continue reading

3 Comments

Cameron’s guru speaks

9 May 2007 14:42

‘Radically pragmatic, rather than dogmatic’, is the way Oliver Letwin, Conservative head of policy, described the new Tory approach this week. Speaking at Policy Exchange, Letwin was hoping to ‘rebut’… Continue reading

2 Comments

What Tony would like to say

9 May 2007 13:54

Nobody knows what Blair will say tomorrow in his constituency. But this is what he will mean: “People of Sedgefield: in 1983 you were fortunate enough to elect me your… Continue reading

3 Comments

No kidding

9 May 2007 13:27

Children’s films ought to be at least as much for adults as children and I do get annoyed by those film critics who think otherwise. I’m thinking, for example, of… Continue reading

3 Comments

The long goodbye

9 May 2007 13:06

Fans of Thatcher’s famous no confidence debate performance shortly before her downfall, will be pleased to note that the same fey eloquence is enlivening Tony Blair’s final few performances. Oliver… Continue reading

1 Comment

How will Blair sign off?

9 May 2007 10:40

Today’s Sun has the scoop on the choreography behind Blair’s resignation as Labour leader. Apparently, he’ll travel up to Sedgefield and announce his departure in an “emotional resignation speech” at… Continue reading

3 Comments

The long and the short of it

9 May 2007 8:53

If, like me, you’re trying to get your head round the radical changes in the online world – and the revolution usually called “Web 2.0” – then check out Seth… Continue reading

1 Comment

Sarkozy gets pranked

8 May 2007 23:21

Nicolas Sarkozy was taken in by a phone prankster claiming to be the Canadian PM on Sunday night. No damage done, though. Sarkozy said nothing controversial, merely some boiler plate… Continue reading

1 Comment

The New Yorker on Banksy

8 May 2007 19:40

This week’s New Yorker has a fascinating profile of the graffiti artist Banky. He’s one of those people you either love or hate. This quote gives you a flavour of… Continue reading

1 Comment

Debatable Polls

8 May 2007 15:53

At 9p.m. last Thursday, while over 15 million American households were tuned in to “Grey’s Anatomy” on ABC, 1.7 million were watching the first Republican primary debate on the cable… Continue reading

2 Comments

Our shameful indifference

8 May 2007 12:48

Peter Hain was on the Today programme this morning doing a victory lap for the resumption of devolution in Northern Ireland. But he gave the game away when he predicted… Continue reading

2 Comments