coffee house

Coffee Houserss

In the magazine this week

29 May 2008 13:44

Fraser Nelson and Charles Moore report from Afghanistan. Rod Liddle explains how Britain can win Eurovision. Irwin Stelzer previews the US election and Bryan Forbes asks when did we start… Continue reading

1 Comment

The new landscape

29 May 2008 11:52

As John Prescott is fond of saying, the plates are moving. Two left-of-centre commentators today turn their attention to Labour’s predicament in ways that only emphasise its depth. Steve Richards… Continue reading

26 Comments

Not the headline the government wants right now

29 May 2008 10:56

This is the story leading The Guardian web site: House prices: Nationwide reports fastest fall since 1991 Nationwide are reporting that house prices fell 2.5 percent month on month and the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Labour pains

29 May 2008 9:02

Guido flags up David Hencke’s story in The Guardian which reveals that Labour has only five weeks to find £7.45 million to pay off bank loans and money owed to… Continue reading

12 Comments

The spokesman’s revenge

28 May 2008 18:49

Scott McLellan was an awful White House press secretary. As you watched him get beaten up day after day by reporters you couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. He… Continue reading

9 Comments

Remembering Frank

28 May 2008 18:22

Clive has a nice little musical tribute up to mark the tenth anniversary of Frank Sinatra’s death—and no, it is not someone singing My Way. Do check it out.

0 Comments

Bin Laden’s No. 2 believed he could secure political asylum in London for his supporters

28 May 2008 16:29

Lawrence Wright’s essay in The New Yorker on the ideological divisions within the Islamic extremist movement from which al Qaeda emerged is essential reading. It really is long-form magazine journalism at its… Continue reading

7 Comments

Darling indicates that a government u-turn on fuel duty is coming

28 May 2008 14:40

On The World at One this lunchtime, Alistair Darling strongly hinted that the government is preparing yet another u-turn; this time over the planned 2p rise in fuel duty. "I… Continue reading

23 Comments

Brown’s pumped up meeting

28 May 2008 13:01

The TV cameras trooped in to film the beginning of Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling’s meeting with various oil big-wigs this morning. After Brown thought they’d stopped filming, he announced:… Continue reading

13 Comments

Brown can look in The Mirror for advice

28 May 2008 12:21

Kevin Maguire was widely tipped to be Gordon Brown’s Alastair Campbell but in the end the Mirror man stayed at his paper rather than heading to Downing Street. His columns,… Continue reading

24 Comments

Brown’s attempt to pour oil on troubled waters will fail

28 May 2008 10:35

Gordon Brown wants you to blame somebody—anybody—else for the rise in the price of fuel. So, this morning he takes to the pages of The Guardian for some OPEC-bashing hoping… Continue reading

27 Comments

Spec and the City

28 May 2008 8:48

And so I got to thinking….what the Hell am I doing here? As I watched a preview of Sex and the City at the Soho Hotel last night, with Trevor… Continue reading

8 Comments

Ken’s friend Qaradawi is no moderate

27 May 2008 22:27

One of the many good things about Ken Livingstone’s defeat in the London mayoral election is that Islamic extremists will no longer be feted at City Hall. One person who… Continue reading

4 Comments

Obama’s running mate, McCain’s Iraq gambit

27 May 2008 22:20

Over on Americano, thoughts on the VP candidate who might tip the scales in Obama’s favour and an explanation of what McCain is up to with his suggestion that he… Continue reading

0 Comments

Reports: Osama bin Laden has been ‘located’

27 May 2008 18:49

The Dubai-based satellite TV channel Al Arabiya is reporting that Osama Bin Laden has been “located” by US intelligence in the Kararakoram – a mountain range that spans the borders… Continue reading

61 Comments

Brownism defined

27 May 2008 17:29

Tom Bower, who wrote a rigorously researched and extremely critical biography of Gordon Brown, delivers a devastating summing up of Brown’s record to date in today’s Evening Standard: "Thatcherism and… Continue reading

17 Comments

Straw breaks his silence

27 May 2008 15:28

Jack Straw has emerged from his self-imposed purdah to offer his support to Gordon Brown on The World at One. Straw declared "I’m absolutely convinced that Gordon Brown is the… Continue reading

13 Comments

Grand Central Guignol

27 May 2008 13:38

At the risk of drawing a sneering response from the Rail Minister Tom Harris, I’d like to have a little moan about my train journey yesterday. I spent the Bank… Continue reading

21 Comments

Brown 6/4 to go before the next election

27 May 2008 11:41

William Hill have just sent through their latest odds on Brown’s prospects. Brown is 6/4 to go before the next election 7 to 2 to leave this year 15/8 to… Continue reading

23 Comments

Brown needs to look at his fuel gauge

27 May 2008 10:15

The Mirror and The Sun both devote their lead editorial to arguing against the planned rise in vehicle excise duty and the rising cost of fuel. The Mirror—which is the… Continue reading

21 Comments

The Cruddas manifesto

27 May 2008 8:24

Jon Cruddas, the Labour backbencher who came third but with the most first preference votes in last year’s deputy leadership contest and is tipped by many as a good outside bet to… Continue reading

53 Comments

Gordon’s problems have come from trying to be too flash

26 May 2008 18:36

Jackie Ashley’s column in The Guardian today shows just how downhearted those who yearned for a Brown premiership now are. It is an admirably frank piece. One point in it,… Continue reading

31 Comments

Tackling knife crime

26 May 2008 12:42

Stephen has a good piece in today’s Times arguing that the way to deal with the current wave of knife crime is not to pass yet more laws but to… Continue reading

17 Comments

A Straw in the wind

26 May 2008 10:09

Today’s Guardian reveals that Brown, unsurprisingly, plans to hang on until the last possible moment before going to the country. Brown hopes that two years will give him time to… Continue reading

19 Comments

Labour’s problems go far deeper than Brown

25 May 2008 20:07

There’s a seductive narrative emerging that places all the blame for Labour’s problems on Gordon Brown’s personal and presentational failings. It has obvious appeal to those Labour MPs who believe… Continue reading

37 Comments