coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Cameron’s take on immigration

29 October 2007 13:46

A very good speech on demography from Cameron, I thought. Perhaps, the clearest and widest-ranging one delivered by any frontbench politician so far. “Demographic change” is better than the I-word… Continue reading

1 Comment

Gove to deliver the Tory verdict on Brown

29 October 2007 13:33

Huge excitement at Tory HQ over a speech which Michael Gove will deliver tomorrow on Gordon Brown’s politics. It is meant, I am told, to be seen both as the… Continue reading

0 Comments

Private lives, public figures

29 October 2007 12:49

Nicolas Sarkozy walking out of his interview with 60 Minutes when asked about relations with his then wife Cécilia is creating waves. It is tempting to see the incident as a… Continue reading

0 Comments

America’s confessional cinema

29 October 2007 10:32

Two big movies on release at the moment – Michael Moore’s Sicko and the thriller Rendition – have in common a deep strand of American self-loathing. Say what you like… Continue reading

0 Comments

Cameron must bring honesty to the immigration debate

29 October 2007 10:13

I had thought David Cameron would shy away from immigration. That the scars of the 2005 campaign would keep him away from it just as Letwin’s 2001 disaster left him… Continue reading

0 Comments

Blair’s thwarted plans

29 October 2007 7:40

The latest revelations from the Anthony Seldon book reveal just how much Tony Blair was weakened by his diminished majority following the 2005 election. The Times reports that not only… Continue reading

0 Comments

Listen Live: Can capitalism save the planet?

28 October 2007 20:27

This Tuesday, Spectator.co.uk broadcasts the latest debate in the Spectator / Intelligence Squared series. From 6:45pm, listen to John Redwood, Nigel Lawson, Tim Harford, David Rieff, Eric Bettellheim and Frances… Continue reading

0 Comments

Obama steps it up

28 October 2007 20:10

Barack Obama is finally going to take the gloves off against Hillary Clinton. Under pressure from donors who are disappointed by the fact that Hillary is maintaining her  dominant lead… Continue reading

0 Comments

Whitehall put on PMQs alert

28 October 2007 16:16

If anyone wants to know how rattled Downing Street is by the hammering that Gordon Brown now regularly receives at Prime Ministers Questions they should read this story in The Sunday Times.… Continue reading

0 Comments

What’s next after English votes for English laws

28 October 2007 11:48

Once, Alistair Campbell would have spotted and filled the news vacuum which sucks away at the papers this weekend. Instead it the Tories have scored a spin coup. They have… Continue reading

0 Comments

The evil that the welfare system encourages

28 October 2007 10:42

One of the benefits of doing Question Time is being taken to task on the blogosphere for days afterwards, and my comments on welfare and immigration have been reproduced and… Continue reading

3 Comments

Rats to product placement

27 October 2007 16:34

The magic of Pixar films – especially the Toy Story duet and The Incredibles – is that they appeal to adults as well as the children at whom they are… Continue reading

0 Comments

How far does the Iranian nuclear programme extend?

27 October 2007 15:35

To follow up on Matt’s post, Caroline Glick has a fascinating piece out today on the latest developments in the Iran nuclear saga. She speculates that the purpose of the… Continue reading

0 Comments

The Iran problem isn’t going away

27 October 2007 11:22

Don’t miss the excellent Toby Harnden’s interview with Norman Podhoretz in today’s Daily Telegraph in which the US conservative guru – an adviser to, amongst many others Rudy Giuliani –… Continue reading

0 Comments

Listen up

26 October 2007 18:57

Tomorrow morning you’ll want to tune into The Week at Westminster on Radio 4, Matt will be presenting and he’s got some great guest lined up including Dennis Skinner, Gisela… Continue reading

0 Comments

No question about it, it was a great performance

26 October 2007 18:22

Around Westminster today plenty of normally hard-bitten folk have been saying to me how good Fraser was on Question Time. He’s far too modest to say it, so let me… Continue reading

0 Comments

Cameron’s outdated foreign policy

26 October 2007 16:42

David Cameron’s speech in Berlin today on foreign policy advocated a cautious, liberal conservative approach to foreign policy. It is very different, at least in tone, from the foreign policy vision that… Continue reading

0 Comments

The trick to doing Question Time

26 October 2007 14:29

While preparing for my first Question Time last night, talking to former panellists, I discovered a strata of politics I didn’t know existed. With five million viewers it’s the most-watched… Continue reading

0 Comments

Chris Huhne and whose army?

26 October 2007 13:30

The Lib Dem leadership will be a closer affair than many people expect. Chris Huhne having run before and got a respectable 40 odd percent of vote is going to… Continue reading

0 Comments

How liberal is the BBC?

26 October 2007 11:39

Sam Coates over at Conservative Home has done some great number crunching on how BBC employees identify themselves politically on Facebook. Of the 10,580 BBC workers on the site, 1,… Continue reading

0 Comments

The Blair memoirs

26 October 2007 9:23

Tony Blair has announced the name of the ghost writer for his forthcoming memoirs: Frank But-not-disloyal. Mr Blair and Frank go back a long way, and their laughter could often… Continue reading

0 Comments

Tories 3 points ahead in latest poll

26 October 2007 8:57

The latest YouGov poll for the Telegraph has the Tories on 41, Labour 38 and the Liberal Democrats languishing on a 11 percent. I suspect that both main parties will… Continue reading

0 Comments

Time for Parliament to take a stand

25 October 2007 18:56

I’m normally slightly sceptical of the value of Early Day Motions; too few of them justify the £627,000 that they cost the taxpayer in 2005/6. But one put down today… Continue reading

1 Comment

Gordon doesn’t get it

25 October 2007 15:31

Anatole Kaletsky has a cracking column in The Times today about Gordon Brown’s political difficulties. One point is particularly worth noting: Brown doesn’t know how to triangulate. Bill Clinton and… Continue reading

2 Comments

Preparations for a possible strike on Iran stepped up

25 October 2007 12:53

The speculation over whether President George W. Bush will order strikes on Iran before he leaves office in January 2009 will ramp up another notch with the news that the Bush administration… Continue reading

3 Comments