coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Evening wear in the age of global warming

28 June 2007 13:10

At wet, chilly Garsington last night I saw a spectacular production of Ariadne auf Naxos. Strauss’s wonderful finale was all the more uplifting for the triumph it represented on the… Continue reading

0 Comments

Sons of the manse

28 June 2007 12:22

International aid is the new imperialism. Seriously. The same Christian zeal which inspired the first colonialists-cum- evangelists is back now with two politicians whose fathers were Church of Scotland ministers… Continue reading

0 Comments

3 to go

28 June 2007 12:11

Benn to environment, Hoon as expected will be Chief Whip and by my count all we’re waiting for is Northern Ireland, Defence and Chief Secretary to the Treasury. But likely… Continue reading

0 Comments

The last few posts

28 June 2007 11:22

The Guardian is tipping Blears for transport, James Purnell–interviewed in this week’s magazine–gets Culture. Still no word on Ruth Kelly’s fate.

0 Comments

Anybody Home?

28 June 2007 11:13

Update: Jacqui Smith, the BBC is reporting, will succeed John Reid The big question is who is going to Home. John Denham some are saying, but I can’t imagine he’d… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown as Nidgett

28 June 2007 11:05

Strength, energy, service, change, trust, steadfastness, change, resolution, purpose, change … Has anyone noticed how like Peter Simple’s Lieutenant General Sir Frederick ‘Tiger’ Nidgett Gordon Brown sounded yesterday? In November… Continue reading

0 Comments

The world of Miliband

28 June 2007 10:53

David Miliband to the foreign office, the youngest holder of that office since David Owen. It is a huge job. In the words of Sir John Coles, former Permanent Secretary… Continue reading

1 Comment

Unspun Brown

28 June 2007 10:09

At least for the first couple of days Gordon Brown got both the style and substance absolutely right – no repudiation of the past but an absolute commitment to moving… Continue reading

2 Comments

Gordon’s challenge

28 June 2007 9:21

I have a piece in today’s Wall Street Journal comparing Brown’s task to the famous ‘haiku’ posted by James Carville on the wall of the Clinton war-room in 1992: ’1.… Continue reading

0 Comments

A motto to live by

28 June 2007 8:32

‘I will try my utmost’ promised Gordon Brown on the steps of 10 Downing Street yesterday, quoting his old school motto. They’re funny things, school mottoes. Single sex schools tend… Continue reading

1 Comment

Cui bono

28 June 2007 8:25

Why do we have to pay between £3.50 and £5.40 to book tickets for the theatre on the internet? Most people are unable to turn up in person to book… Continue reading

1 Comment

A not so talented precedent

28 June 2007 8:02

Our new Prime Minister does like a bit of history so, in the course of unveiling his new administration today, he may wish to reconsider his soundbite "government of all… Continue reading

0 Comments

More reshuffle talk

28 June 2007 1:04

Here’s the latest reshuffle speculation. Nearly all the papers are agreed that David Miliband is going to the Foreign Office, Alan Johnson to Health, Ed Balls to the schools part… Continue reading

0 Comments

Can Blair bring peace to the Middle East?

27 June 2007 21:55

Douglas Davis has done a fantastic piece for us looking at the likelihood of Blair bringing peace to the Middle East in his retirement. In short, don’t hold your breath.

0 Comments

How we saw the day

27 June 2007 19:08

Scroll down for our analysis of events on the blog. But we’ve also got some great articles on what happened today including a review of Blair’s last act and Brown’s matinee by the… Continue reading

0 Comments

What on earth was the BBC thinking?

27 June 2007 18:57

So the Prime Minister of 10 years standing is answering his final question at PMQs and what does the BBC do? Cut away to a trailer and then the tennis.… Continue reading

4 Comments

More grist for the defection rumour mill

27 June 2007 18:45

Iain Dale reports that William Hill have stopped taking bets on a Tory defection.

1 Comment

Reshuffle will be official at lunchtime

27 June 2007 18:06

Just back from the first lobby briefing with Michael Ellam, the new Prime Minister’s Official Spokesman (except he’s dropped ‘official’ so he’s just PMS). His hands were slightly shaking, the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Conservatives at war

27 June 2007 18:05

No, this has nothing to do with the Tory response to Gordon Brown — or to Quentin Davies. This is about what, in another context, Richard Hofstadter called ‘the paranoid… Continue reading

0 Comments

How about a really radical reshuffle?

27 June 2007 17:48

All this “talent” business is getting out of hand. In some of Gordon’s speeches, it sounds like a reference to the parable of the Talents (Matthew 25: 14-30). And, for… Continue reading

1 Comment

Beckettt’s gone

27 June 2007 17:43

Fraser is tipping David Miliband. Apparently, she didn’t want to go.

0 Comments

A healthy reshuffle

27 June 2007 17:39

Patricia Hewitt to stand down as Health Secretary. No surprises there. Gordon has been saying throughout his grand tour that, while education is his “passion”, health is his “priority”. And… Continue reading

0 Comments

Can we have what you had, Mr. Brown?

27 June 2007 17:24

When the Prime Minister (its so weird writing that) told us on the steps of No10 that he “went to the local school” in Kirkcaldy and chose its motto as… Continue reading

2 Comments

Brown’s agenda

27 June 2007 15:44

The school motto of Kirkcaldy High School: “I will try my utmost”. That was the principle which Gordon Brown promised to make the foundation of his work as Prime Minister.… Continue reading

0 Comments

"Beyond narrow party interest"

27 June 2007 14:59

That line makes me suspect that Brown really does have something up his sleeve even post-Ashdown.

0 Comments