coffee house

Coffee Houserss

A gateway to success

2 July 2008 10:53

Stephen highlights Bill Gates’ tips for success.  Well worth a read.

0 Comments

Saudi moves in Syria

2 July 2008 10:20

David Ignatius’s column this morning in The Washington Post on covert efforts to pin back Iranian attempt to establish hegemony in the Middle East, contains this fascinating detail: Saudi Arabia… Continue reading

5 Comments

Eight new laws a day under Brown

2 July 2008 8:37

This passage jumped out at me from Irwin Stelzer’s excellent article in the Telegraph this morning: “[Gordon Brown] has had some 2,823 laws passed during his first year in office… Continue reading

15 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

2 July 2008 8:07

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.

0 Comments

SNP favourites to win in Glasgow East

1 July 2008 18:18

Ladbrokes have released their odds for the Glasgow East by-election. They’ve chalked the SNP up as favourites to win: SNP — 8/13 Labour — 6/5 Conservatives — 100/1 Liberal Democrats — 100/1 Remember,… Continue reading

17 Comments

More people in America kill themselves with guns than other people

1 July 2008 16:19

Michelle Cottle flags up a fascinating stat, 55 percent of the 30,000 plus firearms deaths in America in 2005 were suicides. I would have thought that murders would have made… Continue reading

14 Comments

What will happen now?

1 July 2008 16:18

Harare, Zimbabwe Post-election drama, Harare thrives once more. Market women back to selling vegetables on the street; businessmen in second-hand suits talking loudly into their mobile phones. Queues stretching round the… Continue reading

1 Comment

Mugabe to a British journalist: "You bloody idiots!"

1 July 2008 14:52

Here’s footage of Robert Mugabe verbally attacking the ITN journalist Julian Manyon at the African Union summit:

14 Comments

The smoking ban: one year on

1 July 2008 13:26

So, it’s one year since the ban on smoking in public indoor places was introduced across England. If the latest figures from Cancer Research UK are anything to go by, it’s… Continue reading

49 Comments

Cherie speaks sense

1 July 2008 13:07

Cherie Booth, aka Mrs Blair, was giving evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee this morning. One of the MPs asked her what she would do to combat knife crime… Continue reading

12 Comments

Clarke waters down the West Lothian Answer

1 July 2008 11:58

I have always considered the West Lothian Answer to be fairly simple. The Speaker decides if legislation is England-only, and if so then only English MPs get to vote on… Continue reading

40 Comments

We’ll go on getting bad results

1 July 2008 10:52

Try as I might I can’t get overly excited about Wimbledon—I’m more of a football and cricket man. So Boris Johnson’s column this morning on why England under-achieve at football… Continue reading

13 Comments

Brown faces another 10p tax rebellion

1 July 2008 9:02

Oh dear. It looks like Brown and Darling could be facing yet another rebellion over the abolition of the 10p tax band. Last night, No.10 confirmed that there’ll be no… Continue reading

11 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

1 July 2008 7:48

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.

1 Comment

Stop running

30 June 2008 23:11

Running is not a part of my repertoire – nobody with a bosom of even a sliver above the average size would dream of subjecting it to such horrendously jolting… Continue reading

17 Comments

The beginning of the end for eco-towns?

30 June 2008 18:07

It’s hard not to applaud those who marched on Parliament today to protest the Government’s eco-town policy. Whatever their motivations, they’ve got quite a case. As I’ve blogged before, there… Continue reading

13 Comments

A question of timing

30 June 2008 17:20

Over at Three Line Whip, Rob Winnett points out that David Cameron really needs to decide what to do about Caroline Spellman before the Haltemprice & Howden by-election. If Spellman… Continue reading

10 Comments

And now Davis responds…

30 June 2008 15:39

Here’s the text of David Davis’ response to Gordon Brown’s letter: Dear Gordon, Thank you for your letter of 26 June. This is the second time you have responded to… Continue reading

34 Comments

Al Qaeda’s base

30 June 2008 15:37

The New York Times’ big splash today on the hunt for Osama bin Laden is well worth reading in full as it deals with the more important question of what Al… Continue reading

2 Comments

Has the endgame already started?

30 June 2008 13:43

You won’t find many hacks better connected than Trevor Kavanagh so his column today is particularly noteworthy as it assumes that Gordon Brown being told to step down by some… Continue reading

31 Comments

Gordon Brown writes to David Davis

30 June 2008 13:21

Benedict Brogan has a copy of a letter sent by Brown to David Davis.  It challenges David Cameron over his relative silence on civil liberty issues.  Here’s the text: Dear David As you… Continue reading

18 Comments

Mugabe’s victory: the aftermath

30 June 2008 12:55

Mugabe’s inauguration was a closed affair. Judges in colonial era wigs and robes sat patiently whilst he spoke, whilst advisors and military personnel, bedecked in medals, marched and saluted him.… Continue reading

4 Comments

Ashley diagnoses Labour ministers with clinical depression

30 June 2008 11:08

If you want to get a feeling for the pain that Labour is currently going through read Jackie Ashley’s column in The Guardian which sums up the situation brilliantly. “Talking… Continue reading

12 Comments

And the winner is…

30 June 2008 11:04

Congratulations to ‘Patrick, London’ for making the best contribution to last week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall, and for winning a bottle of champagne in the process. Patrick both kickstarted and contributed to… Continue reading

0 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall, 30 June – 6 July

30 June 2008 10:55

Welcome to the second CoffeeHousers’ Wall. For those who missed it first time around, CoffeeHousers’ Wall is a new feature on Spectator.co.uk.  Every Monday, we’ll put up a ‘wall’ post… Continue reading

97 Comments