coffee house

Coffee Houserss

More grist for the defection rumour mill

27 June 2007 18:45

Iain Dale reports that William Hill have stopped taking bets on a Tory defection.

1 Comment

Reshuffle will be official at lunchtime

27 June 2007 18:06

Just back from the first lobby briefing with Michael Ellam, the new Prime Minister’s Official Spokesman (except he’s dropped ‘official’ so he’s just PMS). His hands were slightly shaking, the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Conservatives at war

27 June 2007 18:05

No, this has nothing to do with the Tory response to Gordon Brown — or to Quentin Davies. This is about what, in another context, Richard Hofstadter called ‘the paranoid… Continue reading

0 Comments

How about a really radical reshuffle?

27 June 2007 17:48

All this “talent” business is getting out of hand. In some of Gordon’s speeches, it sounds like a reference to the parable of the Talents (Matthew 25: 14-30). And, for… Continue reading

1 Comment

Beckettt’s gone

27 June 2007 17:43

Fraser is tipping David Miliband. Apparently, she didn’t want to go.

0 Comments

A healthy reshuffle

27 June 2007 17:39

Patricia Hewitt to stand down as Health Secretary. No surprises there. Gordon has been saying throughout his grand tour that, while education is his “passion”, health is his “priority”. And… Continue reading

0 Comments

Can we have what you had, Mr. Brown?

27 June 2007 17:24

When the Prime Minister (its so weird writing that) told us on the steps of No10 that he “went to the local school” in Kirkcaldy and chose its motto as… Continue reading

2 Comments

Brown’s agenda

27 June 2007 15:44

The school motto of Kirkcaldy High School: “I will try my utmost”. That was the principle which Gordon Brown promised to make the foundation of his work as Prime Minister.… Continue reading

0 Comments

"Beyond narrow party interest"

27 June 2007 14:59

That line makes me suspect that Brown really does have something up his sleeve even post-Ashdown.

0 Comments

Prime Minister Brown’s first line…

27 June 2007 14:44

What will Gordon Brown say on the threshold of Number Ten? In 1990, Margaret Thatcher famously quoted St Francis of Assisi: “Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where… Continue reading

2 Comments

How will Cameron welcome Brown?

27 June 2007 14:42

Gordon Brown is the 11th Prime Minister to have served the Queen, in succession to Churchill, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Home, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major and Blair. But the first who… Continue reading

0 Comments

Welcome Prime Minister Brown, goodbye Mr. Blair

27 June 2007 14:39

We’ve just posted The Spectator leader that will be in this week’s print magazine; it looks at the challenges facing Gordon Brown. We’ve also put up a fantastic essay by… Continue reading

0 Comments

Paging John Bercow (UPDATED)

27 June 2007 13:43

I don’t know where John Bercow is having lunch right now, but a lot of people wish he’d switch his phone on. Perhaps thanks to Guido, there’s a rumour flying… Continue reading

2 Comments

Cherie’s parting shot

27 June 2007 13:19

Cherie just turned to the media in Downing Street and said: “Bye! I don’t think we’ll miss you!” Minutes before, John Prescott was on College Green telling Jon Sopel that… Continue reading

3 Comments

Who’d have thought it?

27 June 2007 13:04

Back in May 1997 what odds would you have got on the most generous tribute at Blair’s last PMQs coming from Ian Paisley?

0 Comments

Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen and Areverderchi

27 June 2007 12:45

For the first time in my time in the Commons, the press gallery was full. “A lot of so-called journalists I’ve never seen before” grumbled the doorman. And no wonder.… Continue reading

2 Comments

The coming battle

27 June 2007 12:02

We’ve got two great pieces up today on the new political landscape. James O’Shaughnessy explains why the master tactician Gordon Brown is putting housing at the top of his agenda.… Continue reading

0 Comments

What’s the next Brown surprise?

27 June 2007 10:38

Iain Dale reports that Ed Balls was understandably gloating about the defection of Quentin Davies last night at a Fabian Society reception last night and promised his audience that, “There’s more… Continue reading

2 Comments

How important is the defection of Quentin Davies?

27 June 2007 9:07

Two contrasting views in the papers this morning. Here’s the key passage from The Guardian’s leader on it: “There has been no more brutal assault on a Tory leader since… Continue reading

3 Comments

The piece you should read before Brown takes over

27 June 2007 8:52

This Fraser Nelson piece from September reveals which eight people will really matter when Gordon Brown finally gets his hands on the crown. Do give it a read.

0 Comments

Who we are

27 June 2007 7:59

Where better to spend the last night of the Blair era than in the company of ageing rockers? These days, The Who smash their tambourines rather than their guitars. But,… Continue reading

1 Comment

Should Gordon worry about Tony’s new job?

26 June 2007 23:26

There are two reasons for Brown to be concerned about Blair becoming the quartet’s envoy to the Palestinians. First, it is going to exacerbate the problem of Brown establishing himself… Continue reading

2 Comments

Blair to stand down as an MP

26 June 2007 17:29

Not that surprising, but BBC News 24 is reporting that Tony Blair will resign as an MP tomorrow.

3 Comments

What this defection means

26 June 2007 15:35

Fraser is right that Quentin Davies is where he should always have been. But – as he acknowledges in his update – defections matter because of their symbolism; and, symbolically,… Continue reading

3 Comments

Quentin Davies defects to Labour

26 June 2007 15:05

My only surprise about Quentin Davies’ defection is that he joined the Tories in the first place. Last year he stopped me in the Commons to tell me he’d just… Continue reading

0 Comments