coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The world after Bush

28 July 2007 17:09

This review essay by Samantha Power, a Harvard professor who is close to Obama, on where the Bush presidency is leaving the war on terror is well worth reading. Her… Continue reading

3 Comments

How bad is it for the Tories?

28 July 2007 10:10

There is some very astute commentary in the papers this morning about the situation that the Tory party finds itself in. Do read Charles Moore in the Telegraph on how… Continue reading

10 Comments

Tony Blair meets the Simpsons

27 July 2007 18:20

With Gordon jetting off to Camp David and the Simpsons movie coming out this weekend, here’s Tony Blair–he used to be Prime Minister, you know–doing a cameo on the show.… Continue reading

0 Comments

Another Colgate Moment?

27 July 2007 15:06

George W. Bush and Tony Blair famously bonded over their mutual use of Colgate toothpaste at their first meeting at Camp David. With Gordon Brown heading there this weekend, one… Continue reading

3 Comments

How Brown is reversing Blair’s reforms

27 July 2007 12:13

Doesn’t anyone spot what Gordon Brown is really up to? The great Peter Riddell isn’t convinced that he has altered the Blair reform agenda, and thinks that “changes are at… Continue reading

3 Comments

Having a blast before blast off

27 July 2007 11:32

There are few things that can be more boring that floating around in a tin can looking down at the earth. So I’m glad to hear that the astronauts have found… Continue reading

4 Comments

More poll woe for the Tories

27 July 2007 10:55

Today’s Telegraph poll is disastrous for Cameron. That the Tories are 9 points behind Labour is not even the worst news in it for him; what should worry him most… Continue reading

9 Comments

Why Cameron should stand on the centre ground

27 July 2007 8:40

Geoffrey Wheatcroft has a bizarre piece in today’s Guardian attacking Dave for hugging the "centre-ground" and for surrounding himself with a Blairesque "junta". Too much energy is expended on defining… Continue reading

5 Comments

A few bright spots for the Tories

26 July 2007 19:13

As Matt suggested, I’m getting some stick from Tories here in the Commons – mainly ones who have just seen today’s Spectator cover (Peter Brooke’s brilliant cartoon of Cameron about… Continue reading

6 Comments

Is their money good here?

26 July 2007 18:45

If you’re wondering what to make of the Chinese decision to invest in Barclays and the Qatari effort to buy Sainsburys do read this column that Martin Vander Weyer has… Continue reading

0 Comments

The case Obama should make against Hillary

26 July 2007 17:24

It’s the electability, stupid should be one of the major themes of the Obama campaign if they want to play harball with Hillary. The Democrats are desperate to take back… Continue reading

0 Comments

Obama takes a shot at Hillary

26 July 2007 15:28

At the YouTube debate Barack Obama and Hillary got into a row about whether or not the US president should meet with some of the world’s least attractive leaders—Castro, Chavez,… Continue reading

1 Comment

Why would Rambo read The Indy?

26 July 2007 14:04

What do neo-con action hero John Rambo and not-neo-con newspaper The Independent have in common? A bottle of champagne to the first Coffee Houser to get the right answer.

6 Comments

Has the Dianaisation of Britain changed the country for the better?

26 July 2007 12:13

The new issue of the always excellent Prospect has a great debate between Andrew Marr and Joan Smith about whether the mass emotionalism that followed Diana’s death, and is now… Continue reading

10 Comments

The will to win

26 July 2007 9:35

"The present Mayor of London": that is how Our Candidate refers, with terse menace, to Ken Livingstone, in today’s Telegraph. If I were Ken, those five words would give me… Continue reading

2 Comments

The Tories have no plan b

26 July 2007 7:38

Fraser’s piece is already making waves. The reason for this is that it poses the question that all Tories are thinking about but dare not voice – not least because… Continue reading

14 Comments

RIP Shambo

26 July 2007 7:33

If you’re thinking about the sacred bullock that is about to be slaughtered on the orders of the Welsh Assembly, do read the incomparable Jeremy Clarke’s piece on Shambo.

1 Comment

What if Cameron fell under a bus?

25 July 2007 17:22

Fraser has a cracking piece in tomorrow’s magazine on who’d  take over if something happened to Dave. As Fraser reports, there’s no clear alternative—something that Cameron has reason to be thankful… Continue reading

18 Comments

Brown nabs another Tory idea

25 July 2007 14:45

Gordon Brown’s announcement that there will now be a unified border police force removes one of the Conservatives’ favourite talking points on security. It also puts them in a tricky… Continue reading

6 Comments

Common mockery

25 July 2007 13:10

It was almost like David Cameron was being bullied by the Commons today. When he stood up, all MPs cheered – the kind of sarcastic cheer they normally reserve for… Continue reading

5 Comments

The warped world of Ward Churchill

25 July 2007 12:49

I have been interested in Ward Churchill for years. So interested, in fact, that his writings inspired me to write a novel about what might happen if the “global justice… Continue reading

3 Comments

The clunking fist connects

25 July 2007 12:39

To date, Cameron has got the better of Brown at PMQs but the clunking fist had some good lines today. I’d bet that this one–"The wheels are coming off the… Continue reading

4 Comments

Essential reading

25 July 2007 11:55

There’s been a lot of hype – justifiably – around P J O’Rourke’s book on Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations Indeed, we posted on it weeks ago. But Coffee Housers… Continue reading

1 Comment

Up from the streets

25 July 2007 11:26

If like me you’re a complete sucker for all things Banksy, do check out the graffiti artist’s new website. Hat tip: Andrew

0 Comments

What a dope

25 July 2007 10:47

Oh, Vino. How could you be so stupid? You fought all the way up from the bottom, making it from Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan to Paris, France on the strength of your… Continue reading

0 Comments