coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The Blairites bite back

10 May 2008 0:14

Turns out the mystery story is a Cherie Blair interview being run jointly by The Sun and The Times. The Sun promises to run the "bomshell" interview on its website… Continue reading

44 Comments

The week that was

9 May 2008 18:45

David Cameron answers your questions Matthew d’Ancona wonders whether Brown has broken the New Labour pact. Fraser Nelson serves up ‘Brownie No.3 – Gordon Brown’s "transitional" 10p tax rate’, and… Continue reading

0 Comments

Story alert

9 May 2008 18:07

A good political story is about to break. Have no idea what, but Westminster’s nervous system is twitching. My only information is that it is "big, followable and with us… Continue reading

33 Comments

The situation in Burma

9 May 2008 16:50

The news that food aid to Burma has had to be suspended because the military junta that rules the country has seized it for its own purposes is as depressing… Continue reading

6 Comments

The Spectator 180th anniversary party

9 May 2008 15:08

The champagne was flowing freely at this week’s party in celebration of the The Spectator’s 180th anniversary.  We’ve just put up exclusive footage of the bash on a special corner of the website -… Continue reading

0 Comments

A couple of clarifications

9 May 2008 13:58

Hugo Rifkind today picks up on a point in my Cameron interview where I describe how he has the ring tone from 24 on his phone. "’It’s an in joke,’… Continue reading

2 Comments

More bad news for Gordon…

9 May 2008 13:00

…yet another data scandal. 

10 Comments

America looks to Cameron

9 May 2008 10:59

You know an Opposition leader’s doing well when he makes waves across the pond. And – if an important article in today’s New York Times is anything to go by –… Continue reading

3 Comments

Will Ken work with Boris?

9 May 2008 9:00

Ken discusses the lessons of May 1 in an article for the Guardian today. There’s not much there, beyond talk about how he performed better than Labour did nationally, and… Continue reading

15 Comments

A 26 point lead for the Tories

8 May 2008 20:04

The Sun have just released the results of a YouGov poll, and it gives the Tories an astonishing 26 point lead over Labour.  The numbers in full: Tories, 49 percent;… Continue reading

19 Comments

What will Gordon do if the US strikes Iran’s insurgent training camps?

8 May 2008 19:07

David Ignatius has a great column in The Washington Post this morning looking at the international events that could shake up the presidential race. One of the things that he… Continue reading

12 Comments

The Economist: Is Gordon Brown doomed?

8 May 2008 18:36

The Economist sells shares in Brown tomorrow – its front cover will ask ‘Is Gordon Doomed?’ and its lead article will pretty much say that he is. “Mr Brown can scarcely… Continue reading

11 Comments

Out now: Issue 1 of the Spectator Business

8 May 2008 17:23

We’ve just released the first issue of the monthly Spectator Business magazine. You can access all of its content online – just head over here to check it out.

2 Comments

Has Brown broken the New Labour pact?

8 May 2008 15:49

Frank Field’s piece in the magazine is one of the most interesting analyses of New Labour and its character I have read: Frank’s point is that the Blair Project was… Continue reading

5 Comments

The charm offensive continues

8 May 2008 15:04

Oh dear. Another unnerving TV-appearance from Gordon Brown today – this time on ‘This Morning’ with Fern Britton (you can watch it here). As Britton says, it’s “an opportunity for [Brown] to… Continue reading

14 Comments

Boris’ new recruits

8 May 2008 12:46

The latest hire for Boris is Patience Wheatcroft, former Sunday Telegraph editor. She will lead a “forensic audit panel” into exactly what Mayor Ken got up to. The rest of… Continue reading

13 Comments

Cameron answers your questions

8 May 2008 11:11

As mentioned the other day, I recently interviewed David Cameron for the lastest issue of the Spectator.  We’ve just uploaded that article onto the website – you can read it… Continue reading

22 Comments

Referendum-gate: the fallout

8 May 2008 8:57

So, Wendy Alexander’s standing firm in the face of calls for her to quit. Not good, says Alan Cochrane in today’s Telegraph. His article is among the angriest you’ll read… Continue reading

15 Comments

Is Cameron starting to tackle Brownies? 

7 May 2008 19:22

When Fraser asked for CoffeeHousers’ questions for Cameron yesterday, a number of you asked: "Why do you let Gordon Brown get away with his Brownies?"  (For the uninitiated, Brownies are the little lies… Continue reading

13 Comments

The word from Scotland

7 May 2008 18:34

Brown’s PMQs performance, claiming Wendy Alexander in Scotland does not want an independence referendum, has baffled Scottish Labour. I call my old contacts and am told a shocking, but not… Continue reading

2 Comments

Hillary’s Big Mistake

7 May 2008 18:09

What was the massive – and politically fatal – mistake that Hillary Clinton made at the start of her campaign?  Find out over at Americano.

3 Comments

Brown should embrace the fight over the Union

7 May 2008 16:43

Labour appears split over whether or not it wants a referendum on Scottish independence, Wendy Alexander is in favour but Gordon appears to be against. But I actually think Gordon… Continue reading

27 Comments

What will Cameron tell his MPs?

7 May 2008 15:56

As Boulton & Co. are reporting, Cameron’s marshalling his MPs for a meeting this evening – "all must attend", apparently.  As things go, it’s hardly earth-shattering news. But it’s a… Continue reading

0 Comments

Another victory for Cameron at PMQs

7 May 2008 13:45

Another good show from Cameron and dismal one from Brown. Perhaps I’m growing too sensitised to this, but his half-truths and (in this case) outright lies really jump out at… Continue reading

12 Comments

Should the Tories throw Brown a lifeline at PMQs?

7 May 2008 11:43

Tories should today hope that David Cameron gets panned in Prime Minister’s Questions. Hope that Brown scores a resounding success, and leaves with the applause of all Labour MPs ringing… Continue reading

19 Comments