coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Labour’s latest problem in Glasgow East

9 July 2008 8:56

After an embarrassingly drawn out selection process with potential candidates dropping out or refusing Prime Ministerial entreaties to enter the fray, Labour has a candidate in Glasgow East, Margaret Curran… Continue reading

10 Comments

How McCain can trump Obama’s convention address and change the course of the presidential race

8 July 2008 21:42

On TV today, John McCain joked that the only way he could trump Barack Obama’s plan to deliver his acceptance speech not in the hall at the Democratic convention but… Continue reading

16 Comments

Why Israel probably won’t bomb Iran during the transition

8 July 2008 20:38

There is a lot of chatter at the moment about the idea that Israel might use the gap between the US elections in November and the inauguration of a new… Continue reading

16 Comments

What I saw in Glasgow East

8 July 2008 17:47

I’m in Glasgow East for the day, making a short film of my column in the current Spectator for the BBC. We’ve just been in perhaps the most run down… Continue reading

45 Comments

Did they vet the wrong Ray Lewis?

8 July 2008 16:41

There is a quite remarkable item in Londoner’s Diary today: RUMOUR reaches the Londoner that the reason Boris Johnson’s office failed to pick up on the fact former Deputy Mayor… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brogan: Brown should not beware Glasgow East but September

8 July 2008 14:42

Over on his blog, Ben Brogan dissents from the conventional Westminster wisdom that Glasgow East is make or break for Brown, arguing that the polls post-conference will be more important:… Continue reading

11 Comments

A plurality of Muslims under 35 support there being areas of the UK where some elements of sharia law are introduced

8 July 2008 12:44

A friend of Coffee House is in touch to point out that the numbers from the ICM poll for Peter Oborne’s Dispatches programme last night, show that a plurality of… Continue reading

20 Comments

Minister, you have six seconds to make your case

8 July 2008 11:26

Skimming the interview with David Blunkett in G2 on the Tube on the way home last night, this grabbed my attention: "In my time in politics, the soundbite on television… Continue reading

5 Comments

It is personal between Brown and the electorate

8 July 2008 10:32

There is a fantastic chart on page 7 of The Times today (annoyingly, I can’t find it online) which shows just how deeply and personally unpopular Brown is. Here are… Continue reading

21 Comments

Addressing the social question

8 July 2008 8:56

The Daily Mirror launches a predictable attack on David Cameron today, claiming that in his Glasgow speech yesterday he blamed the poor, the unemployed and the fat for their own… Continue reading

16 Comments

The Tory lead is down but this poll might encourage Labour MPs to move against Brown

7 July 2008 21:48

Normally the news that the Tories had fallen and Labour had gained in the polls would be met with cheers in the Brown bunker but the latest Populus poll might… Continue reading

17 Comments

Obama’s most significant advantage

7 July 2008 20:48

What should keep the McCain campaign up at night is not Obama’s financial advantage or even his poll lead but his ability to command the news agenda almost at will.… Continue reading

10 Comments

Cameron has immunised himself from attacks on his morality matters approach

7 July 2008 18:47

Conservative Home is worrying about how the press might report Cameron’s Glasgow speech, fearful that it might be presented as a ‘nasty party’ attack. But to my mind, the Tories… Continue reading

8 Comments

A moral policy

7 July 2008 17:03

One of the most frequent conversations that Fraser and I have is about whether politicians can change the moral weather. Fraser thinks they can’t, I think they can. If you… Continue reading

30 Comments

Talking about Islamophobia

7 July 2008 15:23

Peter Oborne’s Dispatches programme about Islamophobia in Britain is already making waves. (To get a sense of Peter’s argument, read this piece he did for the Mail). Peter is undoubtedly… Continue reading

36 Comments

Get Carter (Episode 25)

7 July 2008 13:31

I’m not sure how to describe on a family-friendly blog what people in the know say the mood in Downing Street is like. But Sam Coates has a great example… Continue reading

5 Comments

Scottish sectarianism

7 July 2008 12:36

Is it significant that Cameron will speak in a Catholic church in his visit to Glasgow East today? You can bet any Scottish politicians would have avoided any church in… Continue reading

62 Comments

An unhealthy approach to policy

7 July 2008 11:02

To many in conservative circles, the less said about Tory health policy the better. The Tories have seemingly decided that the best they can do is neutralise the issue politically… Continue reading

10 Comments

In case you missed them

7 July 2008 10:52

Here are some of the posts made over the weekend: Fraser Nelson notes that Gordon Brown is only "currently" leader of the Labour party. The Skimmer wonders how a bunch… Continue reading

1 Comment

Glasgow East moves centre stage

7 July 2008 8:55

The Glasgow-East by-election is going to dominate the news for the next few weeks. The Westminster Village has concluded that if Labour can’t hold its 25th safest seat under Gordon… Continue reading

22 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall, 7 July – 13 July

7 July 2008 8:22

Welcome to the third CoffeeHousers’ Wall. CoffeeHousers’ Wall is a new feature on Spectator.co.uk. Every Monday, we’ll put up a ‘wall’ post and – provided your writing isn’t libellous, crammed… Continue reading

51 Comments

Magnificent

6 July 2008 22:24

I’m not much of a tennis fan but even I was gripped by the men’s final. Every time you thought it was going to end, the player on the brink… Continue reading

7 Comments

A reconstruction report-card 

6 July 2008 17:34

Like James, I’ve been admiring the new issue of Time – what caught my eye was its superb report on the Kajaki Damn in Afghanistan. This is Britain’s top reconstruction… Continue reading

8 Comments

Look at who else he is talking to

6 July 2008 15:29

There’s plenty to read between the lines in The Sunday Times interview with Tony Blair. This aside from Blair is particularly interesting:   “One thing you could say about me,” he… Continue reading

8 Comments

Situation soon to be vacant?

6 July 2008 12:10

When John Reid was given his last-ever appointment, he’d have fun introducing himself at meetings by saying “I’m John Reid and I am the current Home Secretary.” It was a… Continue reading

10 Comments