coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The Blair story

2 June 2007 12:05

To John Self, Charles Highway and Keith Talent must now be added another unforgettable Martin Amis character: Tony Blair. Today’s must read is the author’s eyewitness account in the Guardian… Continue reading

1 Comment

The new Paris

1 June 2007 18:08

Paris Hilton’s coming incarceration and Lindsay Lohan’s trip to rehab creates an opening for a new party girl to keep the paparazzi employed though the summer, the red tops in… Continue reading

1 Comment

Stating the obvious

1 June 2007 15:15

Bewildered rage has greeted Cardinal Keith O’Brien’s announcement  that abortion is a bad thing and that Catholics should be against it.  He has been accused of using threatening and inflammatory… Continue reading

2 Comments

How to Survive without Government

1 June 2007 11:17

Wales scored a first in the modern political history of Britain this last month. It became the first area of the UK to survive-quite happily-without an elected government. For over… Continue reading

2 Comments

It was forty years ago today…

1 June 2007 9:58

Sergeant Pepper always cheers me up because – aside from its musical brilliance – it is slightly older than I am. Today’s papers are full of readable celebrations of the… Continue reading

6 Comments

‘Im worried about Lesley’

1 June 2007 9:33

Now that Big Brother’s returned for its summer run what does it tell us about the political mind of Britain? Leaders-and deputy leaders-come and go, manifestos get launched,opposition spokesmen are sacked… Continue reading

1 Comment

Depressing story of the day

1 June 2007 8:53

The Portuguese police are now using, of all things, tip-offs from mystics in the search for Madeleine McCann. It is hard to remember a police operation that has been so… Continue reading

2 Comments

Willetts retreats

1 June 2007 0:19

It’s 11pm on Thursday and the Tory grapevine is buzzing with the kind of mutinous talk I haven’t heard for two years. Conservative MPs are talking about open revolt in… Continue reading

5 Comments

Did the other guy just blink?

31 May 2007 18:00

Well, well. As James posted earlier, the Tory Party has now admitted that it would consider the building of new grammar schools “on a case-by-case basis, if the demographics required… Continue reading

1 Comment

The row that will not die

31 May 2007 17:17

The Evening Standard has the latest twist in the grammar school row. Dominic Grieve, the shadow A-G, has backed building more grammars in Kent seemingly in contradiction of the party’s… Continue reading

1 Comment

A cunning apprentice

31 May 2007 16:02

I’m becoming increasingly intrigued by Katie Hopkins, the contestant on The Apprentice who has emerged as a national hate figure. (See Richard Curtis’s aside during his Bafta Fellowship speech.) On… Continue reading

2 Comments

A grim reality

31 May 2007 14:32

Nothing better sums up everything that is wrong with this country and our culture than Big Brother. Yet, the public is still fascinated by it and the idea of… Continue reading

3 Comments

The Tories get their own Alastair Campbell

31 May 2007 12:33

The Conservatives long hunt for a communications chief is over. Andy Coulson, ex-editor of the News of the World, will be confirmed later today as its new communications chief and… Continue reading

5 Comments

Quitting on the NHS

31 May 2007 12:08

It seems strange that Nice has agreed that the NHS should pay for Champix, the new anti-smoking drug, while at the same time refusing to endorse, for example, Aricept, Exelon… Continue reading

3 Comments

Failure, failure, failure

31 May 2007 11:43

The news that 256 schools are now failing to give their pupils an adequate education, even by our currently low standards, is as damning an indictment as anything of Blair’s… Continue reading

1 Comment

The truth about dirty dancing

31 May 2007 8:47

Stephen has a good post on really bad films. I have never understood the appeal of the dreadful Dirty Dancing, nor its passage into Rocky Horror-style cult status. So this… Continue reading

0 Comments

Is this man the next Ronald Reagan?

30 May 2007 18:54

The Republican presidential field just got even more crowded with the news that former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson is jumping in. You probably know Thomspon’s face, if not his name,… Continue reading

1 Comment

A political handbag

30 May 2007 16:58

“Do we want to be a divided society where some people struggle and others spend £10,000 on a handbag?” Harriet Harman asked last night during the Labour deputy leadership debate.… Continue reading

1 Comment

Oklahoma!

30 May 2007 14:36

A work of meticulous scholarship has appeared entirely devoted to the 1943 musical and it sets new standards of accuracy in what has been a gossipy milieu. From the distinguished… Continue reading

1 Comment

A good old tell-all

30 May 2007 12:29

Those disappointed that the initial instalments of the Campbell memoirs won’t be dishing up the good stuff might like to turn their attention to those of Bob Shrum, the veteran US political consultant… Continue reading

0 Comments

Ranking the deputies

30 May 2007 11:53

The race to be the next John Prescott is getting serious with the six contenders debtaing on Newsnight last night, watch it here. So, who won? Here is Martin Vander… Continue reading

6 Comments

Can you Google human nature?

30 May 2007 9:24

The great Google debate shows no sign of abating (see my earlier post). Some of the comparisons between the search engine company and Big Brother have been plain daft (can… Continue reading

1 Comment

Sorry Alan, you can’t beat the real thing

30 May 2007 9:12

Alan Milburn is one of my favourite politicians. But even he won’t persuade me to drink Pepsi. As he likes to say: “We’re not daft”.

2 Comments

The world’s new banker

30 May 2007 1:10

Bob Zoellick, George W. Bush’s pick to replace Paul Wolfowitz at the World Bank, is a safe choice. Zoellick was long regarded as one of the few safe pairs of… Continue reading

1 Comment

Watching with auntie

29 May 2007 22:39

Though I cannot in all honesty pretend that I shall be staying in to watch this televisual feast, the BBC is surely on to something in its celebration of  the… Continue reading

1 Comment