coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The tide is turning

5 October 2007 12:36

Ben Brogan’s blog makes available to the punter the kind of lobby corridor gossip which I’d have given my right arm to be privy to when I was a press… Continue reading

6 Comments

Brown’s number cruncher

5 October 2007 11:33

This morning the chances of an early election have receded considerably but it is not over yet. Gordon Brown receives internal polling today and tomorrow and if these numbers look… Continue reading

2 Comments

Tories bounce level

5 October 2007 8:37

This morning’s polls will be causing consternation in Downing Street. ICM in The Guardian finds the two parties level on 38 points and Populus for The Times has Labour ahead… Continue reading

8 Comments

Labour’s lead drops by 7 points, what will Brown do now?

4 October 2007 20:14

It’s 7pm and the Channel 4/YouGov poll is out: Lab40, Tory36, LibDem13. Now, 40% isn’t bad for Labour – but a lead that’s shrunk from 11 points to 4 emphasises… Continue reading

5 Comments

Tories bounce

4 October 2007 17:52

I’m hearing unconfirmed reports that the Channel Four/YouGov poll has Labour’s lead reduced to four points. The last YouGov poll (for the Telegraph) had a Labour lead of 11 points.… Continue reading

1 Comment

Taxing the hand that feeds

4 October 2007 17:29

The Tories have issued a document defending their plan to pay for the £3.5bn cost of their inheritance tax cut by taxing non dom. Still, the only source they can… Continue reading

5 Comments

Evil’s inspiration

4 October 2007 17:05

I’m certainly not suggesting that any of the political parties follow this particular source of inspiration but if you want to see, terrifyingly clearly, exactly where Hitler got a great… Continue reading

0 Comments

An award winning life

4 October 2007 15:28

A huge screen behind the stage at the Dorchester Hotel yesterday showed Montserrat Caballé singing for a hot-dog in a café. Sadly, she wasn’t there in person to collect the… Continue reading

1 Comment

The lazy party

4 October 2007 14:31

I must have been watching some other conference. Judging by the general view taken of David Cameron’s speech to the Tory conference yesterday this was a masterly exercise in understated… Continue reading

13 Comments

A portrait of the artist

4 October 2007 14:21

An exhibition of self-portraits by members of the Royal Society of Portrait Painters has opened at the Bulldog Trust, 2 Temple Place, London WC2, and runs until 10 October. The… Continue reading

0 Comments

Brown rage

4 October 2007 13:03

Martin Bright sheds light on what Brown’s inner circle are thinking about an early election in this week’s New Statesman. What stands out, though, is how thin-skinned they are.  Danny… Continue reading

5 Comments

Torn about the ending

4 October 2007 11:14

ITV’s three-parter Torn came to an end last night. This drama by Chris Lang about an abducted child was one of the most gripping television plays I have seen for… Continue reading

1 Comment

Will Gordon go?

4 October 2007 9:06

There are two schools of thought on whether the chances of an early election have increased or receded since last week. On the one hand, the Tory conference was a… Continue reading

5 Comments

What Cameron achieved

3 October 2007 21:44

A few hours on from the end of conference and the new political landscape is becoming clearer. David Cameron has succeeded in uniting the Conservative party and the right more… Continue reading

6 Comments

Did I watch the same speech?

3 October 2007 19:20

What planet am I from? What have I been smoking? Matt and Fraser understand politics far better than I can ever hope to, but after reading their blogs I can… Continue reading

14 Comments

David is ready

3 October 2007 19:10

David looked so smart when he walked onto the stage with his hair slicked back, I thought he was going to break into a verse of Mack the Knife. He… Continue reading

2 Comments

Goodbye Blackpool, hello Number Ten

3 October 2007 17:44

I’ve never been so happy! What a speech! What a leader!!! I’ve already started a Facebook group entitled: "Does anyone not want to vote for Dave?" When he whispered "I… Continue reading

2 Comments

The Labour spin on the speech

3 October 2007 17:34

Hilariously, Labour is briefing that Gordon Brown did not watch Cameron’s speech. I suspect they wouldn’t be saying that if Dave had bombed. The more people I speak to, the… Continue reading

2 Comments

Cameron passes the test

3 October 2007 17:16

Bookended by the soothing techno of Moby and a (perhaps unintended) reference to Jimmy Cliff’s "You Can Get It If You Really Want It", David Cameron today gave a speech that… Continue reading

1 Comment

Hit and Run

3 October 2007 17:01

Cameron has just given the speech of his life, and celebrated by wasting no time getting out of Blackpool. Like me, he took a cab out of the conference straight… Continue reading

2 Comments

How did Cam do?

3 October 2007 15:59

My initial reaction is that it was good but not a home run. The ending was very strong but there was a bit towards the end when it ran out… Continue reading

8 Comments

Cameron’s speech

3 October 2007 14:17

2:15pm Cameron comes out to a rapturous reception. He tells the audience this might be a messy as he’s got no autocue, Cameron unspun. Fraser emails in: I notice all… Continue reading

2 Comments

The atmospherics

3 October 2007 14:15

I’ve never felt an atmosphere quite like this in a party conference. The press pack is silent, waiting for Cameron to come on. Its like we’re waiting for a tightrope… Continue reading

1 Comment

Coffee House on your phone

3 October 2007 14:04

If you want to follow Coffee House’s coverage of and reaction to David Cameron’s speech on your mobile phone just text SPECTATOR to 88010 *Normal operator data charges apply.

0 Comments

Not the way to warm up an audience

3 October 2007 13:55

Standing in the press gallery waiting to go into the 5 Live bubble. Just finished BBC, Anglia and Sky. The BBC make up woman has made me look like the… Continue reading

0 Comments