coffee house

Coffee Houserss

My first bike

25 May 2007 16:35

Have put my name down for a Team Cameron bicycle! If I don’t get one am going to see if I can get a slogan painted on the side of… Continue reading

3 Comments

Bercow bashes suicidal Tory activists

25 May 2007 16:27

I’ve just come back from Steve Richards’ sofa for the Sunday Programme, sitting alongside Iain Dale. The grammar school debate is still raging, and whatever David Cameron has to say… Continue reading

4 Comments

Rising Stars

25 May 2007 12:12

I urge you to go and visit the eagerly-awaited exhibition of emerging new London artists "Anticipation".  Curated by Kay Saatchi and Catriona Warren it is cutting-edge without being remotely obtuse… Continue reading

0 Comments

Reading Wagner

25 May 2007 11:26

I’ve been having a Wagnerian time of it lately, organizing a festival of events to coincide with the Royal Opera’s performances of the Ring cycle in October. On Wednesday I… Continue reading

1 Comment

Home alone

25 May 2007 9:34

Depressing thought of the day. A recent survey claims we turn into technical incompetents by the time we’re 42, becoming increasingly reliant on our children for understanding and guidance in… Continue reading

1 Comment

Time for Elgar to go global

25 May 2007 8:33

One of the guests at our third Elgar concert at The Spectator’s offices in Old Queen Street last night shrewdly pointed out the oddity that the great composer does not… Continue reading

0 Comments

More abuse to come

24 May 2007 17:51

Why does David Cameron keep insulting his party? It’s a question plenty of Tories are asking and the answer is buried on p33 of The Times today. Its new chief… Continue reading

3 Comments

A novel way to get on the property ladder

24 May 2007 16:57

Despairing about how to get on the property ladder in London? Then you might want to talk to a 70 year old tramp called Harry Hallowes who’s ended up with… Continue reading

0 Comments

Expect some market turbulence

24 May 2007 12:37

In my Any Other Business column in the magazine this week I warn that the overheating of the Shanghai stock market looks highly likely to lead to a local crash… Continue reading

2 Comments

Who needs Iowa?

24 May 2007 11:55

Thirteen of the last fourteen nominees from the two major US parties have won the first primary  state of Iowa. The odd one out? A certain Bill Clinton in 1992,… Continue reading

0 Comments

Will Brown abolish inheritance tax?

24 May 2007 10:02

Peter Wilby thinks he might in an effort to establish his middle England credentials. Can’t see it myself, though.

2 Comments

Is Hillary’s camp in a panic?

23 May 2007 23:40

If you want to know how much the race for the Democratic presidential nomination has changed since people thought that Hillary just had to turn up to win, read this story about… Continue reading

0 Comments

Reading aloud

23 May 2007 23:05

A hot, hot night in a Portobello Road boookshop for a poetry reading (see my earlier post) hosted by the excellent Pass on a Poem and Oxfam, in aid of… Continue reading

1 Comment

Why Rocky rocks

23 May 2007 19:02

DVD release of the week is Rocky Balboa, the sixth and final instalment of the boxing saga. Yes, I know the idea of the 60-year-old Sylvester Stallone climbing into the… Continue reading

1 Comment

An unhealthy performance from Cameron

23 May 2007 12:49

There is a curious sound Labour MPs make when Tony Blair is on form, a kind of yodel which resonates around the chamber. We heard plenty of it this afternoon,… Continue reading

1 Comment

Name that minister

23 May 2007 12:43

Iain Dale is running a rather cheeky competition to name the most incompetent Labour minister. As his comments section demonstrates, there’s no shortage of candidates. The question is will things… Continue reading

1 Comment

Groups of New York?

23 May 2007 10:40

According to the Youth Justice Board, most teenage “gangs” should be referred to less abrasively as “groups”. Which makes me think how very different Martin Scorsese’s movie would have been… Continue reading

4 Comments

Bush signs off on black ops against Iran

23 May 2007 10:09

ABC News has an interesting report on the CIA’s new covert Iran strategy which is designed to get the Iranians to stop enriching uranium and arming elements of the insurgency… Continue reading

2 Comments

Cameron’s education

23 May 2007 7:52

Tim Montgomerie has a piece in today’s Daily Telegraph which should cause anxiety in Conservative Party HQ. Tim – reasonable and eloquent as ever – explains why the grammar school… Continue reading

1 Comment

Our rotten taste in tomatoes

22 May 2007 18:14

Some people think that the only tomato worth eating is the one you’ve grown yourself but this isn’t actually true. I can think of loads of tomatoes – eg the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Remembering Sheridan Morley

22 May 2007 16:38

What a wonderful afternoon it was! Who can imagine a theatre jammed full of the most famous thespians in London honouring that despised creature, a theatre critic? But they —… Continue reading

1 Comment

The great PMs

22 May 2007 15:58

Over at Comment is Free, Martin Kettle has an interesting post on which 20th Century British Prime Ministers deserve to be classified as outstanding. Kettle thinks that 11 deserve the… Continue reading

4 Comments

Poetic news

22 May 2007 15:08

Tomorrow, I am taking part in the launch of Pass on a Poem, a terrific campaign to encourage the reading and enjoyment of poetry at the Oxfam Bookshop, 170 Portobello… Continue reading

2 Comments

Will he or won’t he?

22 May 2007 13:12

If you want a quick guide to whether Al Gore will end up running for president or not read this piece by Ben Smith, one of the savviest US political… Continue reading

1 Comment

The fight on the right

22 May 2007 12:08

The issue that ends up rendering asunder the American right will not be Iraq but the other i-word, immigration. George W. Bush and Karl Rove have long believed that the… Continue reading

0 Comments