coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Can the Tories learn to run before Brown runs to the country?

1 October 2007 14:25

The psychology of this conference is like no other I’ve experienced. Having mastered walking, the Cameron Conservative Party believed it had a couple of years in which to get on… Continue reading

7 Comments

Osborne explains who the uber mods are

1 October 2007 13:42

Steve Richards has just asked Osborne what he meant by "über modernisers" in his interview with me last week. Here’s his answer. "Some people who had urged modernisation on the… Continue reading

1 Comment

Osborne and the non doms

1 October 2007 13:33

I’m sitting in a George Osborne fringe event, where he’s being given the Parky treatment by Steve Richards from the Indy. He’s discussing his new tax on the non domiciles:… Continue reading

1 Comment

What I would do if I were Gordon

1 October 2007 13:21

Everyone is very upbeat this morning, despite the fact that I have yet to speak to anyone who got to bed before three am. There is a real buzz that… Continue reading

1 Comment

Boris by the book

1 October 2007 11:52

Unlike the Labour conference, there is a bookshop here in Blackpool (what does that tell you?) and I have found a gem: The Little Book of Boris. It’s one of… Continue reading

0 Comments

Blackpool truce holds

1 October 2007 10:59

All those waiting for the latest instalment in the great grammar schools row are going to have to wait a little longer. The rumours that Graham Brady, the frontbencher who… Continue reading

1 Comment

Gordon tries to rain on Dave’s parade

1 October 2007 8:38

There are certain gentleman’s conventions that govern British politics. One is that party leaders do not trash each other while overseas. Another is that, while one of the main parties… Continue reading

3 Comments

The Terminator is here in spirit

1 October 2007 0:37

Where the Conservative Party goes, the spirit of enterprise follows. Resourcefully, the local cinema in Blackpool is showing a mini-season of Arnold Schwarzenegger blockbusters to compensate for the Governator’s physical… Continue reading

0 Comments

Bar talk

30 September 2007 23:16

The ice-breaker at the bars in Bournemouth during the Labour conference was “when will the election be?” Here in Blackpool, the conversation starter is “is it over for Cameron?” But… Continue reading

9 Comments

Tamzin’s Blackpool report

30 September 2007 18:59

Hurrah! Finally arrived in Blackpool after only seven hours on train! It was v efficient, only had to change twice, and the engineering works only stopped us for an hour… Continue reading

4 Comments

If the shoe fits

30 September 2007 17:09

Nadine Dorries, the Tory MP for Mid-Bedfordhshire, will be blogging for Coffee House during conference. Heading for Blackpool. Slammed the boot of the car shut on far more luggage than… Continue reading

3 Comments

From Boris to Bloomberg

30 September 2007 16:59

Boris has just brought the house down with a speech attacking Ken Livingstone and setting out the Tory agenda for London. One senses that Boris will have no problem in… Continue reading

7 Comments

George Osborne’s conference diary

30 September 2007 16:25

George Osborne, the Shadow Chancellor and Tory election co-ordinator, will be contributing to Coffee House throughout conference. Here is his first entry: The first full day of conference. Morning meeting at 8am… Continue reading

2 Comments

The glory of music

30 September 2007 15:57

Amidst the coruscating party conference commentary might I just slip in a small musical note akin to that so enjoyed by Matthew Parris in his terrific article in this week’s… Continue reading

0 Comments

What Hezza missed

30 September 2007 15:28

Great to see Hezza back in the saddle, talking about the plight of British cities. But I’m not sure I agree with his analysis. The main problem, which he did… Continue reading

4 Comments

Hezza still a conference darling after all these years

30 September 2007 15:14

Michael Heseltine just rolled back the years with a crowd-pleasing address to conference. Heseltine extolled the values of decentralisation, celebrated the triumph of the Tory agenda and bashed Gordon Brown… Continue reading

3 Comments

Warsi illustrates the Tory dilemma

30 September 2007 13:11

Amid all the polls, hoopla and election prognostications as the Tories gather in Blackpool, don’t miss this interview in today’s Sindy with Sayeeda Warsi, the shadow minister for social cohesion.… Continue reading

2 Comments

Hague on Brown

30 September 2007 12:25

William Hague has been given the task of Brown baiting. His speech went quite well until this bit: "After ten years of failure and disappointment, he cannot be the change… Continue reading

1 Comment

Not the best cut

30 September 2007 12:16

Given that David Cameron has given himself a tiny fund for tax cuts, I’m not at all convinced that cutting stamp duty should be his priority. Are first time buyers… Continue reading

6 Comments

Sons of the Manse

29 September 2007 17:47

Governments recycle policies, pledges and promises. Gordon Brown has decided to recycle his rhetoric as well-with some fine-sounding phrases about what he owed his father, a minister of the Church… Continue reading

0 Comments

As Tories head to Blackpool, Brown has a landslide lead

29 September 2007 12:05

Today’s polls are grim for the Tories. Labour lead by double digits in both and with a uniform national swing would have a majority well into three figures. Gordon Brown… Continue reading

5 Comments

Is Osborne set to commit the Tories to the abolition of inheritance tax?

28 September 2007 20:29

The Taxpayers’ Alliance is reporting that George Osborne will pledge to abolish inheritance tax at Blackpool. The TPA believes that the proposal that Osborne will unveil will be very similar… Continue reading

1 Comment

Toby Young’s video diary of the Boris campaign

28 September 2007 16:58

Toby Young presents his latest video diary of the Boris Johnson campaign. You can watch previous entries here and here. 

1 Comment

You’ll be laughing presently

28 September 2007 15:55

Present Laughter opens at the National Theatre next week and I went to a preview last night. Theatre-goers are in for a treat. Alex Jennings is a terrific Garry Essendine… Continue reading

0 Comments

It’s folk music but not as we know it

28 September 2007 14:38

There’s more to folk these days than dodgy beards and cable-knit sweaters and it’s clear why Bellowhead, instigators of an outbreak of frenzied folkish foot-stomping at Shepherd’s Bush Empire on… Continue reading

2 Comments