coffee house

Coffee Houserss

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

27 June 2008 13:42

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.… Continue reading

0 Comments

Ashdown on Brown’s chances

27 June 2008 13:16

Lord Ashdown is interviewed by Andrew Neil on BBC News’ Straight Talk this weekend.  And Coffee House has been forwarded a few advance quotes.  I think this, from Ashdown, is minor classic: "I… Continue reading

10 Comments

Don’t shoot the critic

27 June 2008 12:32

Tom Harris says I was “predictably cruel” to Khalid Mahmood who (perhaps deliberately) died on his feet at PMQs. How hard is it to ask a question, I said. “Well,… Continue reading

13 Comments

Where it all went wrong for Brown: an uncontested rise to power

27 June 2008 10:23

This is the fourth in our series of posts looking at where it all went wrong for Gordon Brown.  The first, second and third are here, here and here, respectively. When did it all… Continue reading

20 Comments

Henley result adds to Brown’s woes

27 June 2008 9:01

After the drama of Crewe & Nantwich, yesterday’s by-election in Henley looked as though it would be a forgettable affair. After all, Boris’s old constituency is as safe a Tory… Continue reading

15 Comments

Where it all went wrong for Brown: he’s addicted to Brownies

26 June 2008 19:05

This is the third in our series of posts looking at where it all went wrong for Gordon Brown.  The first and second are here and here, respectively. Assessing Gordon… Continue reading

23 Comments

The positive component of Brown’s legacy

26 June 2008 18:13

Walking down Whitehall the other day on a beautiful summer’s evening, it struck me what Gordon Brown’s positive legacy will be: the flags flying on top of public buildings. When… Continue reading

18 Comments

A Coffee House challenge

26 June 2008 16:35

With the polls suggesting that there’s very little chance of a Brown comeback—according to ICM only 24 percent of people think that Labour can win the next election if Brown’s… Continue reading

51 Comments

Mandela on Mugabe

26 June 2008 14:59

Nelson Mandela speaking out against Robert Mugabe, last night:   Hat-tip: Politics Home

21 Comments

Inside Zimbabwe

26 June 2008 13:06

Many thanks to Maurice Gerard, who will be blogging for Coffee House from inside Zimbabwe over the next week.  Here’s his first post – Pete Hoskin Driving to Harare down… Continue reading

4 Comments

Davis responds – Part II

26 June 2008 12:26

Here are David Davis’s to the last six questions put forward by CoffeeHousers.  For Part I click here. 6) Harry: “How do you square your party’s opposition to 42 days… Continue reading

5 Comments

CoffeeHousers’ Wall

26 June 2008 12:09

This week’s CoffeeHousers’ Wall is here. Head over there to have your say on the week’s events and to let us know what you’d like to see on Coffee House.

0 Comments

Welfare and education: the two initial priorities of a Cameron government

26 June 2008 11:07

We’ve just uploaded the latest magazine content, and I’d recommend you check out Fraser’s article on the initial priorities of a Cameron government.  What will they be?  As Fraser puts… Continue reading

8 Comments

The Great Wafer Seal mystery

26 June 2008 10:10

Stephen points out that there may be one last obstacle to ratification of the Lisbon Treaty.

4 Comments

Harriet Harman unleashes positive discrimination

26 June 2008 9:36

Harriet Harman is about to let the spectre of positive discrimination out of the bag. The Equality Bill before parliament today gives employers the right to choose an ethnic minority… Continue reading

43 Comments

Miliband presents his manifesto

26 June 2008 9:03

So Brown’s decided not to mark his first anniversary as Prime Minister. But David Miliband is doing. He’s interviewed by Steve Richards in today’s Independent, under the headline ‘Miliband’s manifesto’.… Continue reading

2 Comments

Mugabe stripped of his knighthood

25 June 2008 18:16

At last decency has prevailed, and the Queen has stripped Robert Mugabe of his honorary knighthood.  What’s more, Andy Burnham has blocked the Zimbabwe cricket team’s tour of England next year. As far… Continue reading

15 Comments

Welfare that works

25 June 2008 17:31

James Purnell has again repaid my faith in him. What he is proposing is a much needed expansion in the part-privatisation of the benefits industry. As I say in tomorrow’s… Continue reading

18 Comments

Davis responds – Part I

25 June 2008 16:39

Here are David Davis’ answers to the first 5 questions put forward by CoffeeHousers: 1) Simon Chapman: “The Conservative Party had won the argument and the moral victory. There are… Continue reading

5 Comments

Brown survives PMQs

25 June 2008 15:08

I had thought it impossible to pay tribute to our servicemen in a more garbled way than Brown did last week. But Khalid Mahmood proved me wrong. He stuttered, gasped, looked… Continue reading

11 Comments

PMQs footage

25 June 2008 14:59

Courtesy of the essential Politics Home, here’s footage of the Brown & Cameron exchanges in PMQs today.  Fraser’s report will be up in a couple of minutes.

2 Comments

Wendy Alexander found guilty of breaking donation rules

25 June 2008 14:42

Holyrood’s standards committee has found Wendy Alexander guilty of breaking Scottish Parliamentary rules on donations.  We’ll find out what sanctions are to be imposed against her on Thursday. P.S. And Ed… Continue reading

6 Comments

Apologies

25 June 2008 14:27

We’ve been having a few technical problems with the website.  Everything’s been fixed now, so normal service can resume…  P.S. There’s a backlog of comments churning through the system, so they… Continue reading

5 Comments

Exclusive commentary and podcast: ‘Tax the rich (more)’ debate

25 June 2008 11:20

A downloadable podcast of last night’s Spectator / Intelligence Squared debate – Tax the rich (more) – is available here. James Forsyth’s web exclusive report on the debate can also be… Continue reading

2 Comments

Stuart Wheeler loses his High Court battle for a referendum

25 June 2008 10:52

The story’s here.  Stuart’s already said that he’ll appeal the decision.  Here at Coffee House we wish him all the best with that.  However, by all accounts, the Government is going… Continue reading

12 Comments