coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Spec and the City

28 May 2008 8:48

And so I got to thinking….what the Hell am I doing here? As I watched a preview of Sex and the City at the Soho Hotel last night, with Trevor… Continue reading

8 Comments

Ken’s friend Qaradawi is no moderate

27 May 2008 22:27

One of the many good things about Ken Livingstone’s defeat in the London mayoral election is that Islamic extremists will no longer be feted at City Hall. One person who… Continue reading

4 Comments

Obama’s running mate, McCain’s Iraq gambit

27 May 2008 22:20

Over on Americano, thoughts on the VP candidate who might tip the scales in Obama’s favour and an explanation of what McCain is up to with his suggestion that he… Continue reading

0 Comments

Reports: Osama bin Laden has been ‘located’

27 May 2008 18:49

The Dubai-based satellite TV channel Al Arabiya is reporting that Osama Bin Laden has been “located” by US intelligence in the Kararakoram – a mountain range that spans the borders… Continue reading

61 Comments

Brownism defined

27 May 2008 17:29

Tom Bower, who wrote a rigorously researched and extremely critical biography of Gordon Brown, delivers a devastating summing up of Brown’s record to date in today’s Evening Standard: "Thatcherism and… Continue reading

17 Comments

Straw breaks his silence

27 May 2008 15:28

Jack Straw has emerged from his self-imposed purdah to offer his support to Gordon Brown on The World at One. Straw declared "I’m absolutely convinced that Gordon Brown is the… Continue reading

13 Comments

Grand Central Guignol

27 May 2008 13:38

At the risk of drawing a sneering response from the Rail Minister Tom Harris, I’d like to have a little moan about my train journey yesterday. I spent the Bank… Continue reading

21 Comments

Brown 6/4 to go before the next election

27 May 2008 11:41

William Hill have just sent through their latest odds on Brown’s prospects. Brown is 6/4 to go before the next election 7 to 2 to leave this year 15/8 to… Continue reading

23 Comments

Brown needs to look at his fuel gauge

27 May 2008 10:15

The Mirror and The Sun both devote their lead editorial to arguing against the planned rise in vehicle excise duty and the rising cost of fuel. The Mirror—which is the… Continue reading

21 Comments

The Cruddas manifesto

27 May 2008 8:24

Jon Cruddas, the Labour backbencher who came third but with the most first preference votes in last year’s deputy leadership contest and is tipped by many as a good outside bet to… Continue reading

53 Comments

Gordon’s problems have come from trying to be too flash

26 May 2008 18:36

Jackie Ashley’s column in The Guardian today shows just how downhearted those who yearned for a Brown premiership now are. It is an admirably frank piece. One point in it,… Continue reading

31 Comments

Tackling knife crime

26 May 2008 12:42

Stephen has a good piece in today’s Times arguing that the way to deal with the current wave of knife crime is not to pass yet more laws but to… Continue reading

17 Comments

A Straw in the wind

26 May 2008 10:09

Today’s Guardian reveals that Brown, unsurprisingly, plans to hang on until the last possible moment before going to the country. Brown hopes that two years will give him time to… Continue reading

19 Comments

Labour’s problems go far deeper than Brown

25 May 2008 20:07

There’s a seductive narrative emerging that places all the blame for Labour’s problems on Gordon Brown’s personal and presentational failings. It has obvious appeal to those Labour MPs who believe… Continue reading

37 Comments

Election 2008, what’s next?

25 May 2008 20:05

Over on Americano, a guide to McCain’s VP shortlist and some thoughts on the state of the race between McCain and Obama.

0 Comments

Miliband far from Shermanesque in his denials

25 May 2008 15:31

David Miliband was on Adam Boulton’s show today and described reports that he is manoeuvring for the leadership as ‘fiction’. But his denial of interest in challenging Brown left him… Continue reading

14 Comments

The Taliban’s changing tactics

25 May 2008 12:48

Helmand Province, Afghanistan I have adopted the Gordon Brown strategy and disappeared after a bad by-election result for Labour. My excuse is that I’m now in Afghanistan, finding out how… Continue reading

14 Comments

Miliband on manoeuvres

25 May 2008 9:14

The Sunday Times reports this morning that David Miliband is readying himself for a run at the leadership. A source close to Miliband tells the paper that “David is not… Continue reading

28 Comments

Campbell to Cherie: I never swore at your hairdresser

24 May 2008 18:25

There is a classic letter from Alistair Campbell in The Times today disputing Cherie Blair’s account in her book of how Campbell swore at her hairdresser.   Sir, Before “you’re… Continue reading

20 Comments

Miliband’s gift to McCain

24 May 2008 17:22

John McCain and Barack Obama have been involved in a fierce back and forth about Obama’s willingness to meet with the Iranian leadership without preconditions. McCain claims that Obama’s willingness… Continue reading

9 Comments

Will Carter get Brown?

24 May 2008 11:55

Gordon Brown has survived the first 30 hours after Crewe and Nantwich. In public, the cabinet has remained supportive and even among backbenchers those prepared to openly call for leadership… Continue reading

10 Comments

Writing Labour off

24 May 2008 7:42

Peter Riddell  is rightly regarded as the dean of the Parliamentary press corp. He is not a man prone to exaggeration or over-excitement which is what makes the conclusion to… Continue reading

12 Comments

Why cyclists need to get a jump on life

23 May 2008 20:30

This morning as I cycled through Covent Garden, Melanie Phillips nearly killed me. Here’s how: I often jump red lights in London on my bike. I quite see how irritating… Continue reading

21 Comments

If Labour want to limit the damage, then Alan Johnson is their best bet

23 May 2008 19:46

One of the reasons that most pundits still think that Gordon Brown will survive is that there is no obvious alternative to him. Personally, I’m sceptical as to whether anyone… Continue reading

32 Comments

Has anyone seen this man?

23 May 2008 16:48

Update: In the comments, Emily points to a BBC interview with Ed Balls that I missed. So, I owe Mr Balls an apology. However, I would be even more impressed if Balls… Continue reading

36 Comments