coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Things keep getting worse for Labour

2 May 2008 1:35

The BBC is now predicting that Labour’s vote share will be only 24 percent, a disaster for Gordon Brown. William Hague is bullish, claiming that tonight is a big step… Continue reading

0 Comments

Tories win Southampton, Jowell stresses that London is a London election

2 May 2008 1:15

The Tory victory in Southampton is the first sign that something big might be happening tonight; no one had this one down as a possible change. John Denham is blustering… Continue reading

0 Comments

What will Boris and Ken do without each other?

2 May 2008 1:00

Ken or Boris: it’s still anyone’s guess. But whoever wins, (and I do hope Pete and Fraser are right to be optimistic) the question remains: what will they do without each… Continue reading

2 Comments

Osborne revelling in Brown’s difficulties

2 May 2008 0:59

George Osborne really is in his element on the BBC’s election night special. Every time Dimbleby comes to him, Osborne stresses how this is Brown’s first electoral test and if… Continue reading

1 Comment

The papers lag behind

2 May 2008 0:49

If you want to know why blogs have the edge over newspapers on election night, take a look at tomorrow’s newspapers. I’ve just finished reviewing them on Sky News alongside… Continue reading

0 Comments

David Cameron an asset for the Tories, Brown a liability for Labour

2 May 2008 0:33

There are many in small ‘c’ conservative circles who do not yet love David Cameron—often this has more to do with them than Cameron—but no one can credibly claim that… Continue reading

1 Comment

Tories fail to take Worcester

2 May 2008 0:12

A poor early result for the Tories, failing to take Worcester. The home of Worcester Woman has not yet left Labour all together, which is consolation for Gordon Brown.

2 Comments

Atmospherics point to a strong Tory showing

2 May 2008 0:01

Tessa Jowell, George Osborne and Charlie Kennedy just got the chance to set expectations for their respective parties on the BBC’s election special and their answers were rather revealing. Jowell… Continue reading

0 Comments

Looking very good for Boris

1 May 2008 23:34

I’m very much inclined to believe Conservative Home’s claim that Boris has won London, but my faith has been bolstered by Nick Robinson’s latest blog post. Here’s how he starts… Continue reading

2 Comments

And the first result is in…

1 May 2008 23:28

The Tories have held Tamworth, gaining one seat in the process.  Expect a flurry of results around 23:30.

0 Comments

Inflated expectations?

1 May 2008 22:46

I have just spoken to a senior Labour staffer (not Douglas Alexander!) who tells me they are seeing the "mirror image" of what I am hearing from the Tories. That is… Continue reading

0 Comments

Is tonight going to be disastrous for Labour?

1 May 2008 22:38

The early word isn’t good for Labour.  A few outlets have called the mayoral election for Boris.  And now Benedict Brogan and Sam Coates reveal some Labour insiders think the Tories… Continue reading

0 Comments

Backing Boris

1 May 2008 22:33

You can add PoliticalBetting.com and Betfair to the list of those who have called the election for Boris.

0 Comments

More on that ConservativeHome claim

1 May 2008 22:30

Anyone who follows ConservativeHome.com know it doesn’t take fliers. And it has just called the election for Boris. You may think: wishful thinking from those Tories. But no website is… Continue reading

1 Comment

ConservativeHome calls it for Boris

1 May 2008 22:06

Here’s what ConservativeHome have to say: "Based on a wide range of conversations we’ve had throughout the day with people in the field and with Tory and other insiders we… Continue reading

0 Comments

Polls are closed

1 May 2008 22:00

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 … and polls are now closed.  Exit poll data should be filtering through soon.  We’ll keep you informed.

0 Comments

Was Ken a Tory?

1 May 2008 20:44

Hm, I’m not sure about this.  But according to Harry’s Place, Ken may once have been a Young Conservative.  Discuss…

3 Comments

Local elections 2008: live coverage

1 May 2008 18:50

Stay with Coffee House tonight for all the latest on the local elections.  Expect frequent updates, as well as analysis from Matthew d’Ancona, Fraser Nelson, Mary Wakefield, James Forsyth and Peter… Continue reading

0 Comments

Your guide to tonight’s entertainment

1 May 2008 18:10

The Electoral Reform Society has produced an invaluable briefing on tonight’s event. Handily, it includes the times that the key results are expected to be called—remember that the counting in… Continue reading

0 Comments

The books that made an author

1 May 2008 17:46

Sebastian Faulks has named 40 books which "shaped his writing". He’s picked works by Tolstoy, Stendhal, Iris Murdoch (one of only five women — no Jane Austen), Solzhenitsyn, Colin Thubron, J.D.… Continue reading

0 Comments

Three essential columns

1 May 2008 16:09

While we wait for the local election results, I’d thoroughly recommend reading this morning’s columns by Mary Ann Sieghart, Iain Martin and Martin Bright. The three of them, brilliantly distil… Continue reading

3 Comments

The Evening Standard endorses Boris

1 May 2008 15:21

Today, The Evening Standard formally threw its support behind Boris Johnson for Mayor. Here’s the conclusion of their very solid editorial: This paper believes that the key issues in this… Continue reading

10 Comments

What did The Spectator say about Hiroshima?

1 May 2008 14:53

Over at the Spectator 180th blog, we’ve just posted The Spectator’s initial reaction to the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. You can check it out here.   If you’ve got any requests… Continue reading

0 Comments

The Guardian’s invective

1 May 2008 13:27

The Guardian’s G2 today informs us that Boris "despises gays, " "despises provincials" and "despises Africans." What is more,  "He despises those of us who hold such judgments to be… Continue reading

40 Comments

Do the Brown new guard see Alan Johnson as Labour’s saviour?

1 May 2008 12:44

Last week, The Daily Mirror reported that Alan Johnson would be made the chief whip and the government front man in a post-May day reshuffle. Now, Kevin Maguire’s New Statesman… Continue reading

4 Comments