coffee house

Coffee Houserss

A cheeky idea

1 August 2007 14:03

The BBC are reporting that Ed Davey, Ming’s chief of staff, is floating the idea of his officemate Lembit Opik running for mayor of London. This strikes me as a… Continue reading

2 Comments

List your pet hates

1 August 2007 13:31

Over at Comment Central, Daniel Finkelstein is asking folks what impolite behaviour really gets under their skin in an attempt to draw up a definitive list. He starts us off… Continue reading

6 Comments

Travels with Gordon

1 August 2007 12:13

Editor back online – I have been in the States with Gordon’s travelling party, and fascinating it was, too. Though an evangelical convert to blogging, I thought on this occasion… Continue reading

3 Comments

Spice up their lives

1 August 2007 11:51

The Spice Girls have set up a website allowing fans to vote for one more city to be included on their world tour. But I fear they might be in… Continue reading

8 Comments

Brown to America: I love your country

1 August 2007 10:18

One of the fascinating things about Brown’s trip to the United States is how while he has kept his relationship with President Bush workmanlike he has been effusive about America in… Continue reading

3 Comments

Just not cricket

1 August 2007 8:05

Christopher Martin -Jenkins, The Times’s cricket correspondent and Test Match Special commentator, has an op-ed that is well worth reading on the excessively heated atmosphere during the Trent Bridge Test… Continue reading

2 Comments

The joy of the Bolshoi

31 July 2007 20:47

A new swathe of Russians has hit town – dancing ones this time. The Bolshoi Ballet opened in swaggering style last night at the Coliseum with the full three-act version… Continue reading

0 Comments

Tony’s last act or Gordon’s first triumph

31 July 2007 19:08

Tony Blair will not take a bow for this one, and you can bet Gordon Brown won’t give him credit. But it looks like his plan for a peacekeeping operation… Continue reading

3 Comments

Brown’s poverty of thought

31 July 2007 16:44

I simply disagree with those who criticised Gordon Brown’s Camp David performance in this morning’s press. He struck me as assured, and eloquent. But he has just let himself down… Continue reading

4 Comments

Just as far as we can

31 July 2007 16:22

"We’ll have as much spine as we possibly can, under the circumstances." This response by Hillary Clinton to an activist calling on her to show some spine by endorsing federal… Continue reading

1 Comment

Bush’s banter

31 July 2007 14:00

Nick Robinson has a funny little blog post up on the ongoing needle between him and President Bush. Back in December 2006, Robinson asked Bush if he was in denial… Continue reading

2 Comments

Where Brown agrees and disagrees with the neo-cons

31 July 2007 10:56

Rachel Sylvester has a typically astute piece in today’s Telegraph on how Brown differs from both Blair and Bush. Here’s the key section: “Mr Brown is different – not just… Continue reading

0 Comments

Cameron hits back

31 July 2007 8:25

Criticism from Ali Miraj, a Tory activist who was an early supporter of David Cameron and sits on two of the party’s policy review groups, of the Tory party’s lack… Continue reading

6 Comments

Baby talk

30 July 2007 18:44

I was struck by the fact James plucked out of that Newsweek article – that “every second child in London is born to an immigrant mother.” Could it really be… Continue reading

4 Comments

The George and Gordon show

30 July 2007 17:50

Gordon Brown will be pleased by how his first press conference with George W. Bush went. There were no disasters even if Bush’s ragging of the press and boast that… Continue reading

1 Comment

Finish that thought

30 July 2007 16:12

“I really want the Conservatives to win the next election because…” A few CoffeeHousers have offered some endings to the above sentence, and I’d like to offer the bribe of a… Continue reading

44 Comments

Searching for an identity

30 July 2007 15:56

This week’s Newsweek has a piece on what it calls “Britain’s post-Blair identity crisis.” Most of the article is about Gordon Brown’s current obsession with Britishness but this fact in it… Continue reading

3 Comments

Signs of progress in Iraq

30 July 2007 12:40

Ken Pollack and Mike O’Hanlon—neither of whom could be called a neo-conservative, a Bush supporter, or a Republican—have a must read op-ed in the New York Times this morning on… Continue reading

2 Comments

Ingmar Bergman RIP

30 July 2007 11:34

The death of Ingmar Bergman coincides with the re-release of his greatest film, The Seventh Seal (1957), a meditation upon death and the fear of godlessness set in the middle… Continue reading

0 Comments

Brown hits all the right notes

30 July 2007 10:29

Gordon Brown’s op-ed in the Washington Post this morning shows how fluent he is in the language of the special relationship. (Although, Brown speaks it with a less emotional and… Continue reading

3 Comments

Gordon Brown’s American tour

30 July 2007 8:30

Gordon Brown’s first Prime Ministerial visit to the United States is working well so far. He has kept his personal distance by wearing a suit and not bringing along his… Continue reading

0 Comments

Time for Cameron to reflect

29 July 2007 19:04

Perhaps the best outcome of these torrid last few weeks is that the Cameron project has been brought down to earth. After winning the party leadership against all the odds,… Continue reading

17 Comments

As Brown heads to America, Cameron hits out at Iraq policy

29 July 2007 13:24

With Gordon Brown en route to Camp David, David Cameron has chosen to deliver his sharpest criticism of Iraq to date; telling the Sunday Times that we must “Learn the… Continue reading

1 Comment

Why Dave needs David

29 July 2007 10:32

David Davis’s warning to his party to show discipline and stick to the centre ground in today’s Sunday Telegraph is the best news for the other David in a while.… Continue reading

2 Comments

The world after Bush

28 July 2007 17:09

This review essay by Samantha Power, a Harvard professor who is close to Obama, on where the Bush presidency is leaving the war on terror is well worth reading. Her… Continue reading

3 Comments