coffee house

Coffee Houserss

A worthy winner

12 October 2007 11:41

Most of the media seemed determined to turn Doris Lessing into a sweet old lady who had won the Nobel Prize for Literature, as it were, in a fit of… Continue reading

0 Comments

How Barroso and Brown could stitch up the press

12 October 2007 11:21

If I were Barroso, I would pick a huge, fake fight with Gordon Brown before the EU constitution, sorry, treaty is signed. His plea today that Britain should not be… Continue reading

4 Comments

From Oscar to Nobel

12 October 2007 10:18

I think I am right that Al Gore and George Bernard Shaw are the only two people ever to have won both a Nobel Prize and an Oscar. Can Coffee… Continue reading

7 Comments

How long can Ming hang on?

12 October 2007 8:44

When it looked like there was going to be an autumn election, Ming Campbell’s position was safe for the simple reason that there wasn’t time to replace him. But now… Continue reading

2 Comments

Blood Sports

11 October 2007 18:31

Toby set tongues wagging with his post about whether David Cameron was Muhammed Ali to Gordon Brown’s George Foreman. (Do see Clive’s post on why Gordon is really Sonny Liston)… Continue reading

3 Comments

Things worth seeing

11 October 2007 16:55

Anyone who missed Sky News’ Adam Boulton giving Jacqui Smith a kicking over the election last Sunday can now see it again on their excellent revamped website Boulton & Co.… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown’s Euro-vision

11 October 2007 15:33

Do read Mark Mardell’s piece on Gordon Brown’s meeting with Jose Manuel Barroso. Particularly interesting, is his account of Brown’s European vision. “I’m told he argues that there are three… Continue reading

3 Comments

Is this the new ‘John Major tucks his shirts into his underpants’?

11 October 2007 12:35

One of the many things that undermined John Major’s authority was the idea, first put about by Alastair Campbell, that the PM tucked his shirt into his underpants. Now, it… Continue reading

2 Comments

What Darling really did with Inheritance Tax

11 October 2007 11:18

I was too harsh on the Treasury. I derided their inheritance tax con, saying it may fool TV news but would be shredded by the press. This was not the… Continue reading

20 Comments

The Muhammad Ali of British Politics

11 October 2007 8:07

Has David Cameron rope-a-doped Gordon Brown? “Rope-a-dope” was the phrase coined by Muhammad Ali to describe the strategy he used to achieve his famous victory over George Foreman in the… Continue reading

5 Comments

Get ready for a row over Europe

10 October 2007 16:06

After being pummelled at PMQs today, the last thing Gordon Brown wants is an escalation of the row over the so-called EU Reform Treaty, what used to be called the… Continue reading

3 Comments

First blood to Cameron

10 October 2007 12:15

Cameron is at his derisive, aggressive best. Everything Brown says is being greeted with hoots of derision.  Brown’s "I will take no lectures" was weak to the point of being… Continue reading

24 Comments

The first PMQs of term

10 October 2007 12:08

Real first-day-back-at-school atmosphere in the Commons, in a good way. Andy Coulson has taken a perch in the press gallery, Alex Salmond is making a rare appearance but there is… Continue reading

0 Comments

Bush’s right-hand man ranks the Republican field

10 October 2007 11:50

This speech by Dan Bartlett, who was formerly a key Bush adviser, is well worth watching. Most of it is devoted to ranking the Republican contenders to succeed his old… Continue reading

2 Comments

Brown disappoints his own supporters while Cameron cheers his

10 October 2007 9:01

Columns by two of Britain’s most astute political commentators will not improve Gordon Brown’s mood this morning. In The Guardian, Jonathan Freedland bemoans how Brown doesn’t get the vision thing. He… Continue reading

9 Comments

The City Cottons on to the IHT con

9 October 2007 20:09

By Fraser Nelson Pennies are dropping in the city about the inheritance tax con. Here is Nigel May at MacIntyre Hudson:  "The Chancellor has done some wonderful arithmetic here by… Continue reading

2 Comments

Cracking Stuff

9 October 2007 19:34

This morning’s Guardian hailed the fresh brilliance of the new Unilever Turbine Hall project at Tate Modern by Doris Salcedo.  It shows: “a laudable unwillingness to compromise, wanting to make… Continue reading

5 Comments

INSERT A HEADLINE

9 October 2007 19:27

This morning’s Guardian hailed the fresh brilliance of the new Unilever Turbine Hall project at Tate Modern by Doris Salcedo. It shows “a laudable unwillingness to compromise, wanting to make… Continue reading

0 Comments

The inheritance tax con

9 October 2007 18:30

By Fraser Nelson Here’s the weasel. The Inheritance Tax "reduction" is a canard. Anyone with financial acumen (or a lawyer) will not benefit at all. KPMG have just been on… Continue reading

2 Comments

The impact of the PBR

9 October 2007 17:53

By Fraser Nelson • Buy-to-let bonanza: Previously, if you sold a buy-to-let house you’d pay between 24% and 40% on the capital gains. Now it’s 18%. Great news, which may help… Continue reading

1 Comment

How much have taxes risen by?

9 October 2007 17:21

By James Forsyth The Tories, who have been pumping out information at a ferocious rate all afternoon, are saying that taxes will rise by £2.2bn over the next 3 years.… Continue reading

0 Comments

A tax raising report

9 October 2007 17:05

By Fraser Nelson I now have the costings. This is indeed a tax raising budget. By 2010-11 they plan to net £1.4 billion extra in tax. Highlights are: £440m a… Continue reading

0 Comments

The Tories force Darling to play catch up

9 October 2007 16:54

The most important line was George Osborne’s: “From this day on let there be no doubt who is winning the battle of ideas.” That’s right. Darling was chasing the Tories… Continue reading

0 Comments

A tax raising report

9 October 2007 16:30

I now have the costings. This is indeed a tax raising budget. By 2010-11 they plan to net £1.4 billion extra in tax. Highlights are: £440m a year by "state… Continue reading

0 Comments

Live Blog Darling’s speech

9 October 2007 15:34

3:30pm: The House is in confrontational mood and Darling is off on a party political point scoring exercise straight away. First mention of aspiration, the new political buzz word. 3:35… Continue reading

0 Comments