coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The Democratic debate

6 January 2008 2:40

I’m a little late to the party here as I was in the spin room listening to the surrogates for the Republican candidates. So, I’ll come back to the foreign… Continue reading

2 Comments

The debate double-header

6 January 2008 0:40

I’m sitting in the press filing centre at Saint Anselm College where the leading Republican and Democratic presidential candidates are about to hold back to back debates. The stakes are… Continue reading

2 Comments

Worrying signs for the Republicans

6 January 2008 0:05

As in Iowa, you can’t help but notice the enthusiasm gap between Republicans and Democrats. This morning Obama drew 3,000 people and no one seemed to mind the event starting… Continue reading

0 Comments

McCain rallies his band of brothers

5 January 2008 23:36

After the Obama rally, I headed up to Peterborough for a John McCain town hall. The population of the town is 6,000 yet McCain had 600 at his event with… Continue reading

1 Comment

Obama has the wind at his back

5 January 2008 21:15

Nashua, New Hampshire There’s little doubt that Obama is the candidate with the big ‘mo. Half an hour before his event was due to start here at Nashua North High… Continue reading

1 Comment

Hillary’s last best chance

5 January 2008 12:53

Tonight, both the Democrats and the Republicans debate here in New Hampshire. The Democratic debate represents Hillary Clinton’s best chance to push back against the surging Barack Obama. Hillary has… Continue reading

4 Comments

The shape of the Republican race

4 January 2008 21:28

Manchester, New Hampshire Mark Halperin over at The Page poses perhaps the most important question about the Republican race post-Iowa, “Do Huckabee and Giuliani rely on Romney to stop McCain… Continue reading

2 Comments

Brown should help pensioners fight the cold

4 January 2008 18:01

Last month, I posted about the number of pensioners who die from the cold each winter (more than 20,000). Two events will make it even worse this winter: the decision… Continue reading

11 Comments

Britain’s out of touch elite is shocked by reality

4 January 2008 13:13

Fleet Street seems staggered to hear that half a million under-35s are on incapacity benefit – as publicised by the FT yesterday. Even Xinhua, the Chinese government newswire service, follows… Continue reading

26 Comments

On to New Hampshire

4 January 2008 11:36

The US  papers are stuffed with analysis of last night’s result. Of the stuff that I’ve seen waiting for my flight to New Hampshire, two pieces are absolute must reads: … Continue reading

2 Comments

Is there a way for Hillary to recover from this defeat?

4 January 2008 9:44

To understand how deep a hole Hillary Clinton is in following Barack Obama’s crushing victory in the Iowa caucuses, think what you would advise her to do. Going negative on… Continue reading

6 Comments

Where now for the Republicans?

4 January 2008 8:38

After Iowa, the Republican race remains remarkably fluid. Indeed, it is hard to identify anyone as the frontrunner. The result was clearly awful for Mitt Romney but Rudy Giuliani was… Continue reading

3 Comments

How Obama triumphed

4 January 2008 7:40

Last night I headed to a caucus in Johnston, a suburb of Des Moines, and how Obama triumphed there was an extreme example of how he won Iowa. In 2004,… Continue reading

0 Comments

Obama is now the most likely Democratic nominee

4 January 2008 5:06

Barack Obama must now be regarded as the favourite to win the Democratic nomination. He has absolutely thumped Hillary Clinton in Iowa, 38% to 29% with 99% of precincts reporting.… Continue reading

9 Comments

Both Republicans and Democrats voted for change

4 January 2008 4:37

Huckabee’s victory rally was buzzing; his supporters were revelling in having upset the apple cart. The most noticeable feature of Huckabee’s speech was how was how much of what he… Continue reading

0 Comments

Is it all over for Romney?

4 January 2008 3:12

Mitt Romney has just been humiliated here in Iowa. With only 15% of precincts reporting, the news channels called it for Huckabee. So, Romney despite outspending Huckabee by about 20… Continue reading

0 Comments

Obama and Huckabee win

4 January 2008 2:50

Analysis coming up.

1 Comment

Who will drop out after tonight?

3 January 2008 23:19

As we wait for the caucuses to get under way, the press are wondering who will leave the field after tonight’s results. This morning, The Politico reported that Senator turned… Continue reading

0 Comments

Obama wheels and deals

3 January 2008 21:18

One of the many quirks of the Democrat’s Iowa Caucus is that if your candidate gets less than 15% support, you can choose to shift your support to another candidate.… Continue reading

0 Comments

What does Hillary do if she loses to Obama?

3 January 2008 19:06

It looks increasingly like Hillary’s nightmare Iowa scenario is about to become true. So, the question is how does she come back? The brutal truth is that there is no… Continue reading

7 Comments

Is Brown finished?

3 January 2008 17:17

“I think Brown’s character, specifically the lack of charisma or warmth will prevent him being able to bring it back. When problems hit Brown will never be able get away… Continue reading

1 Comment

Number crunching

3 January 2008 16:34

The FT’s story about 500,000 youths “too sick to work” should cause shock, but not surprise. The “figures obtained by the FT” can also be obtained by any teenager with… Continue reading

0 Comments

Caucus day

3 January 2008 15:07

One of the odd things about the Iowa caucuses is that because they do not start until 6:30PM there are no early indications on turnout or anything else. But we… Continue reading

0 Comments

Is the force with Obama?

3 January 2008 7:32

The difference in enthusiasm and size of crowds between the Barack Obama and Mitt Romney rallies was stark.  Obama was clearly exhausted at his eve of caucus rally in Des… Continue reading

1 Comment

Romney’s last rally feels flat

3 January 2008 6:54

Mitt Romney’s final event before the Iowa caucus was surprisingly downbeat affair. The crowd was not huge—about 625 to 650 people according to the Romney camp—and Romney was in reflective… Continue reading

1 Comment