coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Cash for honours returns

23 October 2007 17:31

I’m just out of the Public Administration Select Committee meeting with John Yates. No revelations, but a clear clash of cultures – and philosophies. Tony Wright, the PASC chair, said… Continue reading

3 Comments

Let’s welcome immigration but also prepare for it

23 October 2007 15:57

Imagine a new city the size of York or Portsmouth being built every year for 30 years. This, according to the Office of National Statistics, is what’s happening for the… Continue reading

19 Comments

Why I can’t take Norman Baker seriously

23 October 2007 14:25

Folk on the previous thread seem to think that I should have dismissed Norman Baker’s belief that David Kelly might have been murdered so quickly. The problem is when you… Continue reading

4 Comments

The MP who thinks David Kelly was murdered

23 October 2007 10:54

Norman Baker, the Lib Dem MP, has gained a reputation in Westminster as one of the best ferreters out of information. But his new theories about how David Kelly died… Continue reading

9 Comments

A peek at Gordon’s vision

23 October 2007 8:48

One of the surprises of Gordon Brown’s premiership so far to date, is how little substantive policy there has been. Pretty much everything Brown has done has been about political… Continue reading

3 Comments

Why won’t The Independent print this letter?

22 October 2007 22:37

On Thursday, when I saw that The Independent had reprinted almost word for word Foreign Office talking points without attribution or any indication to its readers that this is what… Continue reading

6 Comments

Howard’s end?

22 October 2007 22:30

Nothing is going right for John Howard at the moment. Following a slight improvement in the polls last week came a poor showing against Kevin Rudd in the only debate… Continue reading

6 Comments

Hollywood goes to war

22 October 2007 22:00

Just out of the Lions for Lambs premiere in Leicester Square. It is the latest of Hollywood’s celluloid attacks on the White House, and a call to arms. The plot:… Continue reading

1 Comment

Abortion lobby on the back foot

22 October 2007 17:05

On Wednesday the Health Minister, Dawn Primarolo MP (pictured), will be giving evidence to the Science and Technology Select Committee. She has already provided her answers to our assumed questions… Continue reading

53 Comments

The McCain comeback

22 October 2007 16:24

If I was a betting man, I’d be very tempted by the 16 to 1 available on John McCain to be the 2008 Republican nominee. McCain has had a fantastic… Continue reading

2 Comments

Who would have thought it?

22 October 2007 14:40

There is a long tradition of the pop intelligentsia getting involved with academe or publishing – Pete Townshend’s work as an editor for Faber being the obvious example, Jah Wobble’s labours… Continue reading

5 Comments

Blair for president of Europe

22 October 2007 13:46

I’d like to put on record my strong support for Tony Blair as a future European President. What better way to ensure that Brown does not co-operate anymore with Brussels?… Continue reading

4 Comments

The Times: tabloid in news values as well as size

22 October 2007 12:26

This morning’s Times has an interview with Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan — not a bad journalistic commodity at a time when separatist Kurdish rebels killed at least 12 Turkish soldiers… Continue reading

3 Comments

One of Labour’s worst ideas yet

22 October 2007 11:01

Even by the high standards of this government the idea that schools should have to give back 5% of any money they save to the government seems particularly half-baked. Whatever… Continue reading

0 Comments

Melanie Phillips joins Spectator.co.uk

22 October 2007 9:54

Matthew d’Ancona, editor of The Spectator, writes: I am proud to welcome Melanie Phillips to Spectator.co.uk as one of our regular bloggers. The essence of The Spectator, in print and… Continue reading

20 Comments

The cost of Brown’s indecision

22 October 2007 8:02

The Guardian this morning reveals that the election that never was cost the Labour party about  £1 million with poster sites being pre-booked, staff hired and election communications printed. By… Continue reading

1 Comment

The latest on the row over The Independent’s lack of independence

21 October 2007 23:40

Coffee House’s scoop about how The Independent reprinted in its pages a Foreign Office talking points on the EU Treaty with only the most minor of changes and without attribution is… Continue reading

0 Comments

John Howard stumbles in Australian election debate

21 October 2007 23:30

John Howard and Kevin Rudd went head-to-head tonight in the only leader’s debate of the Australian election. Most commentators are giving it to Rudd. His opening was upbeat, talking about… Continue reading

2 Comments

Why we need to look again at our abortion laws

21 October 2007 17:20

Anyone who thinks that our abortion laws–or to be more precise, how they are interpreted—don’t need looking at should read this article from The Sunday Times. Here’s how it starts:… Continue reading

5 Comments

Backs against the wall stuff

21 October 2007 11:43

Does politics imitate rugby? I just heard Martin Corry on Sky saying how England pulled itself together midway through the tournament. Heading for defeat, the players brainstormed with the coach,… Continue reading

7 Comments

Neighbours

21 October 2007 1:47

Hilarious insights from Anthony Seldon, a Blair biographer, in his new book which looks at the tumultuous final year of Blair’s tenure. Ed Balls referred to Blair as a "moron"… Continue reading

2 Comments

Pay them and they will come

21 October 2007 1:39

A perennial problem in politics is whether you pay miscreants to behave if the cost of treating them is higher. Why not pay drug addicts to go clean, given that… Continue reading

3 Comments

A moral nation?

20 October 2007 16:47

Under the arresting headline “Wanted: a national culture”, The Times carries an extract from the Chief Rabbi’s new book. Here’s the key section of Jonathan Sack’s argument: “In 1961, suicide… Continue reading

11 Comments

Opera lives

20 October 2007 10:37

Anyone tempted to think that opera might be a dying art only had to be at the Grand Theatre in Leeds on Tuesday night or the Royal Opera House, Covent… Continue reading

0 Comments

A brewing Clinton scandal

19 October 2007 19:04

The gloves are coming off in the US presidential race. Today, Rudy Giuliani’s team labelled Mitt Romney a Hillary Clinton clone, which is like a Labour politician calling one of… Continue reading

6 Comments