coffee house

Coffee Houserss

From Rousseau to Blears

5 July 2007 8:08

"The English people believes itself to be free; it is gravely mistaken; it is free only during election of members of parliament; as soon as the members are elected, the… Continue reading

2 Comments

Appearances Matter

4 July 2007 18:52

Perched high up in the press gallery for PMQs, I didn’t see Cameron’s superb sneer when Brown moaned he’s only been in the job for five days (seven, actually, Gordon… Continue reading

3 Comments

Official: Spectator backs Boris

4 July 2007 18:05

No more than a formality, of course, and the least I can do as the great man’s successor in the Editor’s chair. As a Londoner, I know he would… Continue reading

7 Comments

Will Boris run?

4 July 2007 16:34

Nick Robinson doesn’t take fliers. The more calls I make on this Boris for London story, the more true it seems: wheels are indeed in motion. Perhaps what he needs… Continue reading

18 Comments

Two views on the Fourth

4 July 2007 15:13

The late David Halberstam—author of The Best and the Brightest—has a posthumously published essay in Vanity Fair on Bush’s misuse of history. He charges that the Bush administration lives in… Continue reading

1 Comment

Boris for Mayor?

4 July 2007 12:53

Nick Robinson is suggesting that Boris Johnson may run for London mayor. I can tell you that Boris was unofficially sounded out at the Tory summer party last year, and… Continue reading

9 Comments

Brown’s first PMQs

4 July 2007 12:43

A packed house and full of entertainment. Ming Campbell spent ages trying to make his way to his seat: people didn’t seem to notice him. Brown was wearing a pastel… Continue reading

3 Comments

Flagging up a problem

4 July 2007 11:42

Strange to see Gordon Brown dropping the phrase "war on terror" while asking (through today’s Sun) that we all fly Union Flags to show war-style defiance against terrorism. I admire… Continue reading

3 Comments

A Doctor of Culture

4 July 2007 11:33

Further to my post on John Simm, it seems to me that Doctor Who, once the home of Daleks and wobbly cardboard scenery, is now becoming the nation’s cultural showcase… Continue reading

2 Comments

Brown, constitutional conservative or radical?

4 July 2007 11:08

Gordon Brown’s constitutional proposals receive a generally good press this morning. Interestingly, everyone has decided to concentrate on the bits they like rather than the bits they don’t: The Sun… Continue reading

1 Comment

The portfolio of all the talents

4 July 2007 10:14

Much has been said, and rightly, about the battle of the titans over schools and children’s policy which will now ensue between Ed Balls and Michael Gove, elevated to the… Continue reading

3 Comments

The odds MI5 is working against

4 July 2007 9:59

“As many as four of the NHS terror cell suspects were already known to security services, it emerged last night,” reports The Daily Mail this morning. This revelation is bound to set off… Continue reading

2 Comments

Don’t blame foreign policy, blame the world view

4 July 2007 8:15

Asim Siddiqui has a powerful op-ed in the Guardian today on the futility of blaming foreign policy for terror attacks. As he writes: “And once we’ve left Iraq, will they… Continue reading

1 Comment

Measuring up the campaign teams

3 July 2007 22:12

My apologies to George Osborne. Daniel Finkelstein’s blog points out that young Gideon does have election experience from his days in the 2001 campaign, not none as I unkindly said.… Continue reading

2 Comments

It’s not good out there

3 July 2007 21:49

It’s a bit rough out there. Every day brings a flood and dry cleaning bills. Anglican bishops taking time off from gay-obsessions tell us the rain is all our fault… Continue reading

4 Comments

Cheap radicalism

3 July 2007 19:46

Gordon Brown’s justification for his constitutional meddling is that “the best answer to disengagement from our democracy is to strengthen our democracy.” Which begs the question of why are people… Continue reading

1 Comment

Follow the talent

3 July 2007 18:23

If anyone was wondering what the political parties think the key battleground of the next few years will be, just look at the people taking on the children, schools and… Continue reading

1 Comment

Brown v. Cameron: Round one

3 July 2007 16:59

Some thoughts on the Brown statement… 1. Cameron’s response was very good. He had varied intonation and passion – while Brown’s stutter got steadily worse as he read his constitutional proposals… Continue reading

4 Comments

Brown’s constitutional

3 July 2007 16:21

Brown’s statement on the Constitution can be read here. Interestingly, he’s shot Cameron’s fox on both a national security council and giving Parliament the power to declare war—both bad ideas… Continue reading

1 Comment

Who’ll be the first to fall foul of the smoking ban?

3 July 2007 13:12

Today’s Sun report on the after party for the Diana concert, says that: "Harry became one of the first people in the country to break the new smoking ban—as he lit up… Continue reading

3 Comments

The new religion

3 July 2007 12:18

What I love about the climate change “debate” is that when the public show themselves unconvinced about its wilder claims, the media talks patronisingly about a need to “educate.” This… Continue reading

8 Comments

For an alternative take on the news

3 July 2007 10:49

Visit the website of Press TV, Iran’s new global news channel. The Guardian has a good review of the, how shall we put this, idiosyncrasies of the site’s coverage here. 

1 Comment

The theocratic elephant in the room

3 July 2007 7:43

Go to the Newsnight site and watch last night’s discussion on the terror attacks of the past few days. Hassan Butt, a former jihadi and activist for the radical group… Continue reading

11 Comments

Bush does the right thing

2 July 2007 23:28

President Bush’s decision to commute the prison sentence of Scooter Libby, Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff, will attract criticism. But it’s the right thing to do, as I tried… Continue reading

1 Comment

Reshuffle round up

2 July 2007 22:40

If Coffee House has not slaked your thirst for reshuffle analysis, Conservative Home and Iain Dale both have comprehensive takes on it.

0 Comments