coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Why isn’t Brown acting?

30 January 2008 16:12

As Andrew stressed earlier, the European response to the credit crunch has been anaemic (How anaemic? Check out the footage below of Gordon Brown and his EU compatriots agreeing the "way forward for [the] global economy").  By… Continue reading

7 Comments

And the winner of PMQs is …  Boris Johnson

30 January 2008 16:00

The best part of PMQs came just after it ended, in the form of an irate Boris Johnson. "I am sure the Prime Minister inadvertently misled the House when he… Continue reading

24 Comments

Tories getting tougher on crime

30 January 2008 12:35

David Cameron’s interviewed in today’s Sun, and he outlines new Tory plans to increase the stop-and-search capabilities of policemen: "We are never going to deal with [violent crime] unless we… Continue reading

8 Comments

Clinton and McCain set the pace

30 January 2008 11:52

Ladbrokes has cut Hillary’s odds, but she’s still in the lead. McCain now cut from 4/5 to 1/5 to win GOP nomination.  For all the odds – and expert analysis… Continue reading

0 Comments

So Conway’s punished, but not by the BBC…

30 January 2008 10:32

So farewell, then, Derek Conway. You will not be missed. But his departure is no thanks to BBC Radio 4′s Today programme. Tory MP Roger Gale was put in to… Continue reading

11 Comments

European inaction

30 January 2008 8:35

Consider the response of America and Europe to the current financial turmoil. In Washington, the US Federal Reserve slashes interest rates by 75 basis points and the Bush administration proposes… Continue reading

9 Comments

John McCain wins Florida

30 January 2008 2:18

John McCain has won Florida and is now the overwhelming favourite to win the Republican nomination. McCain has been further boosted by the news that Rudy Giuliani will likely endorse… Continue reading

0 Comments

First Florida Exits

29 January 2008 22:43

National Review has some early exit poll numbers from tonight’s potentially decisive Republican contest and they show just how close the race is. McCain apparently has 34.3 percent of the… Continue reading

0 Comments

Bomb plots & snail mail

29 January 2008 18:35

I’ve been tipped off to the following Press Association story, and figured it would make for a perfect end-of-the-working-day respite from MPs and their expenses.  Do make sure to read to the last… Continue reading

1 Comment

Directing your attention elsewhere

29 January 2008 17:41

Please head here to read Martin Vander Weyer’s website exclusive article on the extraordinary £274 million losses recently incurred by Mitchell & Butlers (that’s Mitchell & Butlers the former brewers). Martin’s… Continue reading

3 Comments

Hanging chads close

29 January 2008 15:15

Once more, an election in Florida is crucial to the future of America. If John McCain wins here today then he almost certainly will be the Republican nominee. If not,… Continue reading

0 Comments

The State of Bush’s legacy

29 January 2008 15:00

There could be no keener testament to George W. Bush’s lame duck status than the fact that the morning shows here in America this morning are more interested in the… Continue reading

4 Comments

Is withdrawing the whip enough for Conway?

29 January 2008 14:38

After saying he wouldn’t withdraw the whip from Derek Conway last night, Cameron has finally performed the U-Turn and done so now. Good. A night of dithering is better than… Continue reading

14 Comments

No dithering Dave – axe Conway

29 January 2008 12:37

We know that Team Cameron are keen readers of CoffeeHouse – and if so, our comment board has some free advice for them. Sack Conway. Remove the whip. De-select him.… Continue reading

11 Comments

Conway "reported" to the police

29 January 2008 11:18

In the headline to my earlier post on the Conway scandal, I wrote: "Conway row to escalate" - and my how it’s escalating.  The latest news is that a Lib Dem candidate has reported… Continue reading

6 Comments

Amis dissects the modern order

29 January 2008 10:31

There is an important interview with Martin Amis by Johann Hari in today’s Independent. Read it and make your own mind up: it is a serious piece, and Johann has… Continue reading

10 Comments

Conway row to escalate, as Tory poll lead shrinks

29 January 2008 8:46

Following yesterday’s initial revelations, it’s since emerged that Derek Conway employed another of his sons using taxpayers’ money.  The news is like manna to the Government, and has spurred the Labour… Continue reading

3 Comments

Driving change

28 January 2008 19:05

After ten days behind the counter here at CoffeeHouse, I have at last had my inaugural kicking – for my earlier piece on the Conservatives and their current “negative politics”. So… Continue reading

12 Comments

Have the Tories lost the moral high ground?

28 January 2008 18:28

This Derek Conway expenses scam is one of the most outrageous I’ve heard in some time. He bunged his son £1,000-a-month of taxpayers’ money on the basis that he was… Continue reading

14 Comments

Disclosing expenses

28 January 2008 15:28

Just a very brief post to say: you should check out Robert Winnet’s important post on MPs’ expenses over at Three Line Whip.   There’s clearly something very wrong with the system when, as… Continue reading

10 Comments

Holding up a mirror to America: views on ‘No Country for Old Men’

28 January 2008 14:46

‘No country for old men’?  Texas looks eerily magnificent though in Joel and Ethan Coen’s latest take on the western genre. Horses gallop, men drawl, and gals do the listening… Continue reading

5 Comments

Further reading material, courtesy of The Spectator

28 January 2008 12:34

Please check out Dan Collings’ new, web-exclusive article on what the American Presidential race means for British policymakers. And for further coverage of the US elections head over to the… Continue reading

0 Comments

The speech of 2008

28 January 2008 11:57

It has been called the speech of the 2008 – and it’s only January. But here on YouTube is William Hague at the Lisbon Treaty debate last Monday. People pay… Continue reading

10 Comments

A decade of disappointment over welfare reform

28 January 2008 11:08

On the day that Gordon Brown’s set to back a raft of new welfare proposals, Melanie Phillips launches an incisive attack on the Government’s past attempts at reform in this area: "Today is… Continue reading

3 Comments

The Tories’ negative brand of politics

28 January 2008 8:07

After the findings of the latest Guardian/ICM poll – which placed Labour on 35 percent (up one point) and the Tories on 37 percent (down two points) – there’s a hard-hitting… Continue reading

12 Comments