coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Who wants to help crowdfund my new Dolce and Gabbana suit?

17 March 2015 13:07
Net-a-Porter and Mr Porter Host A Party For Dolce & Gabbana

Fancy a bit of crowdfunding? My wife has insisted that I buy myself a new suit, as I lost weight and none of my suits fit me and the newest… Continue reading

45 Comments

Ed Miliband’s question for the SNP: ‘Do you feel lucky, punks?’

17 March 2015 11:42
Day Two - The Labour Party Holds Its Annual Party Conference

I’ve written for the Scottish Daily Mail about Ed Miliband’s decision to rule out a coalition with the SNP no-one was seeking. It makes, I am almost embarrassed to say,… Continue reading

119 Comments

Douglas Alexander: Facebook makes it more difficult for politicians to campaign

17 March 2015 11:00
Labour Party Conference Focuses On Economy

Labour is struggling to win back voters in Scotland because of social media conspiracy theories that are difficult to debunk, the party’s campaign chief said this morning. Speaking at a… Continue reading

23 Comments

The Coalition is drawing to an end in a surprisingly civil manner

17 March 2015 9:08
Coalition-struggle

It’s the last Budget before the election tomorrow and there are just a few days left of the Coalition. Which is why it is hardly surprising that a few of… Continue reading

18 Comments

Four polls show that neither Conservatives nor Labour are pulling ahead

16 March 2015 23:16
1001-cover-illo-original_SE-2

Another week, another set of polls that put Labour and the Tories on an almost level footing. In his weekly national poll, Lord Ashcroft has the Conservatives two points ahead… Continue reading

36 Comments

Tories will continue Labour/SNP attacks, despite Miliband’s comments

16 March 2015 18:57
2e3f4b0f-f8db-4aae-8e61-42affc16f61a-bestSizeAvailable

Labour has decreed today it won’t go into a formal coalition with the SNP, but this won’t stop the Tories from attacking Ed Miliband over the possibility. Despite Miliband’s proclamation… Continue reading

35 Comments

This new crowdsourcing site allows anyone to use their skills to advance basic human rights

16 March 2015 17:36
al

One of the questions I most often get asked is: ‘What can I do?’  If you agree that actual liberals are the only palatable future in authoritarian societies and also… Continue reading

20 Comments

What’s the point of the BBC if we no longer share common cultural values?

16 March 2015 16:24
Investigation In Jimmy Savile Allegations Continues

Is privatising BBC3 as bad as Isis’s destruction of Nineveh? That was the wonderfully trolling headline on a Stewart Lee piece in the Guardian over the weekend. He was making the point… Continue reading

79 Comments

Andy Burnham: I am mainstream Labour

16 March 2015 15:21
The Attorney General Applies To Judges At The High Court To Quash The Original Hillsborough Inquest Verdicts

Has Andy Burnham really reinvented himself to prepare for a future leadership bid? In this week’s Spectator, I interviewed the Shadow Health Secretary about his rather forthright views on the… Continue reading

31 Comments

Nigel Farage is right: he has to win in South Thanet

16 March 2015 14:49
Farage-bansky-style-for-web3

Can Nigel Farage survive as leader of Ukip if he doesn’t become an MP? Although he stood in South Thanet ten years ago — and gained a meagre 5 per… Continue reading

44 Comments

Ed Miliband rules out a formal coalition with the SNP — but a deal could still be on the cards

16 March 2015 14:11
2e3f4b0f-f8db-4aae-8e61-42affc16f61a-bestSizeAvailable

Ed Miliband has today ruled out a formal coalition between Labour and the SNP. Labour hope that this will draw the sting from Tory claims that if you vote Labour,… Continue reading

88 Comments

Nicola Sturgeon’s baffling electoral logic: vote Green to get Labour (and the SNP)

16 March 2015 13:23
Nicola Sturgeon Delivers Anti-Austerity Speech At Universtiy College London

This election is going to be fun. Not because of the talent on display  - this is not the Champion’s League – but because most of the players are so hopeless… Continue reading

58 Comments

Liberal Democrats reveal the great fissure in liberalism

16 March 2015 11:42
Maajid Nawaz on Youth Radicalization Redefined At The 2011 Tribeca Film Festival

Someone once said (it may have been me) that while the left looks for traitors the right looks for converts. Only in Britain’s centre ground, however, are converts treated as… Continue reading

38 Comments

Labour aims fire at Grant Shapps over second job allegations

16 March 2015 8:52
Grant Shapps and his Tory colleagues are thrilled that Labour will abstain on the EU referendum bill. Picture: Getty

How damaging for the Tories is the row about Grant Shapps’ second job? While it is quite easy to write up the Conservative chairman’s business past in a way that… Continue reading

74 Comments

I’d love to buy Dolce and Gabbana just to spite Elton John

15 March 2015 23:03
Stefano Gabbana (L) and Domenico Dolce attend a private dinner celebrating the Victoria and Albert Museum's new exhibition 'The Glamour Of Italian Fashion 1945 - 2014' at Victoria and Albert Museum on April 1, 2014 in London, England.

Thank God for Dolce and Gabbana. Where other fashion designers play with their image like Mr Benn, the children’s character who adopts a different persona every time he changes his… Continue reading

188 Comments

Budget bloopers – five graphs that George Osborne won’t be sharing on Wednesday

15 March 2015 16:16
Graphic: Carla Millar

George Osborne is the most political of Chancellors, and his Budget today will doubtless read like a party political broadcast. The economic momentum is on his side: soaring employment, plunging inflation, fuel… Continue reading

41 Comments

Nick Clegg: The Liberal Democrats are the continuity choice at the election

15 March 2015 14:52
(Photo: Dave Thompson/Getty)

The Liberal Democrats sense an opportunity in all this speculation about who the Tories and Labour would do deals with in the event of a hung parliament. They believe that… Continue reading

22 Comments

George Osborne’s annuity plan explained

15 March 2015 13:07
Osborne will present annuity reform in his next (and perhaps last) Budget

George Osborne has today said that he’ll allow people to sell their annuities for cash, and will consult on how best to establish a market for second-hand annuities.  This move will… Continue reading

5 Comments

Reflections on the importance of Mothering Sunday

15 March 2015 11:44
circa 1955:  A boy and girl give presents to their mother on Mother's Day.  (Photo by Lambert/Getty Images)

For Mothering Sunday, some advice to mothers from a 1912 edition of The Spectator. Be with him yourself as much as you can… I have no fear of your being… Continue reading

6 Comments

Paddy Ashdown slaps down Tim Farron: ‘Judgement is not his strong suit’

15 March 2015 11:27
UK Political Parties Seek To Form A Coalition

It seems Tim Farron has rather annoyed his senior Lib Dem colleagues with his quite naked desire to become party leader. After the ambitious MP said that the Lib Dems… Continue reading

16 Comments

How George Osborne got the Liberal Democrats to agree to an ‘interesting Budget’

15 March 2015 10:33
BRITAIN-POLITICS-ROYALS

George Osborne and Ed Balls have just done their pre-Budget interviews with Andrew Marr. The show, though, was dominated by talks of post-election deals rather than the contents of the… Continue reading

47 Comments

A Vince intervention that will please the Tories

14 March 2015 13:15
Vince Cable criticised ring-fencing. Picture: Getty

Later today, Vince Cable will launch his traditional conference attack on the Tories. He’ll denounce them for their positions on Europe and immigration. But his pre-conference interview in The Guardian… Continue reading

35 Comments

Spectator competition: poets’ acrostics (plus: great bores of today)

14 March 2015 9:30
John Betjeman. Image: Getty

The most recent test of competitors’ skill, wit and ingenuity called for acrostics in the style of a well-known poet, where the first letters of each line spell out the… Continue reading

1 Comment

Can the Greens win in Bristol West?

13 March 2015 17:00
IMG_5581

If general elections were won on how swanky a campaign office is, the Greens would beat the Lib Dems hands down in Bristol West. Their candidate Darren Hall works out… Continue reading

105 Comments

Does the Islamic Human Rights Commission think The Spectator was born yesterday?

13 March 2015 16:28
Charlie Hebdo was awarded an international award for 'Islamophobia' by the IHRC (Photo: Damien Meyer/Getty)

It seems that the laughably misnamed ‘Islamic Human Rights Commission’ did not like my last piece. Indeed the Khomeinist organisation has written to complain to my editor.  Here is their letter:… Continue reading

464 Comments