coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The three golden rules of intervention

8 August 2014 9:05
speccover

Barack Obama has authorised the use of targeted airstrikes in Iraq against forces of the Islamic State, which are hell-bent on massacring Yazidi and Christian minorities, and threatening American assets… Continue reading

29 Comments

Thank God we’re intervening in Iraq again

8 August 2014 8:45
IRAQ-UNREST-YAZIDIS

Yesterday, I had a succession of texts from one of the priests in my local parish, Mgr Nizar, who heads the Iraqi Catholic church in London, asking, with increasing urgency,… Continue reading

83 Comments

Obama moves against ISIS. This time, it’s a war worth fighting

8 August 2014 8:06
(Photo: Getty)

Back to Iraq, then. President Obama’s announcement last night that America would intervene militarily in defence of the Kurds is by any standards a stunning development. The President, whom hawks… Continue reading

188 Comments

How the FOBs, FOGs and FOTs could trip themselves up in the Tory leadership fight

7 August 2014 17:12
Boris-Chute_se-275x413

FOB, FOG or FOT? Which one are you? In this week’s Spectator, Harry Mount examines the machinations of the Friends of Boris as they set their star man up for… Continue reading

15 Comments

George Galloway declares Bradford an ‘Israel free zone’

7 August 2014 16:28
MP George Galloway In Scotland To Give Speech Against Independent Scotland

Mr S doesn’t imagine that Israel is among Bradford’s major trading partners. But George Galloway has put the matter beyond doubt with this outburst. It’s raving (and chilling), even by Gorgeous George’s standards.… Continue reading

374 Comments

How long before self-publicising Baroness Warsi pops up in another party?

7 August 2014 16:11
warsi

At the impressive Westminster Abbey vigil to mark the centenary of the first world war on Monday night, there was one big candle for each quarter of the Abbey, and… Continue reading

65 Comments

Stop mollycoddling girls and let them compete with each other

7 August 2014 14:21
Students Throughout The UK Receive Their A Level Results

I was pleased to read this week that my old headmistress, Judith Carlisle, has launched a campaign to root out perfectionism in girls’ schools. Her initiative, which she is calling… Continue reading

9 Comments

Rachel Reeves’s ‘staggering’ and ‘astonishing’ future of welfare speech

7 August 2014 11:26
BRITAIN-POLITICS-LABOUR

Rachel Reeves, the Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary, gave a speech earlier this week on the future of the welfare system. The choice that she presented was one between ‘…failing… Continue reading

157 Comments

Podcast: Boris is back, Baroness Warsi’s resignation and the demise of the ‘nice girl’

7 August 2014 10:35
Mayor Boris Johnson Launches London's West End Police Team

Here comes Boris! After he announced yesterday that he will stand as an MP in 2015, the next Tory leadership fight has just begun. Now that Boris is back in… Continue reading

4 Comments

Boris Johnson lays down the gauntlet to David Cameron

6 August 2014 17:44
David Cameron and Boris Johnson visit to Newark

Much has been made of the news that Boris Johnson intends to return to parliament at next year’s general election. The announcement, made in the Q&A session after his speech… Continue reading

121 Comments

Why is China tearing down church crosses? Because it’s terrified of religion

6 August 2014 17:12
The Chinese state is terrified by the spread of Christianity. (PETER PARKS/AFP/Getty Images)

Since the beginning of this year, China has been engaged in a cruel and bizarre campaign against Christians in the south-eastern province of Zhejiang. Its main target is Wenzhou, a… Continue reading

62 Comments

Ukip need not fear Boris Johnson

6 August 2014 16:41
Boris Johnson Speech on Europe

So Boris Johnson is standing for parliament next year, triggering speculation about what would happen if David Cameron lost the election. Could we have Ed Miliband as prime minister, followed… Continue reading

91 Comments

Violence, threats and blackmail ought to have no place in politics

6 August 2014 15:41
The Conservative Party Hold Their Annual Party Conference - Day 1

I have never issued a call for violence before, and I’m certainly not going to start now. But I wonder if people might consider the following, purely hypothetical situation. In… Continue reading

257 Comments
6 August 2014 15:07
sp3

So Boris has made his great leap. The blond king over the water has revealed his plans to cross the river, return to Parliament and assume what he believes is… Continue reading

17 Comments

Boris is ‘not expecting to get special treatment’

6 August 2014 13:10
A Memorial Is Held On The 20th Anniversary Of The Murder Of Stephen Lawrence

So what now for Boris? He’s got to go through the selection process for a constituency, which he hasn’t yet settled upon, although I’ve outlined some of the options that… Continue reading

21 Comments

Team Boris vs Team Osborne — the first skirmish

6 August 2014 12:58
Hold on to your hats. It's Boris vs George. (Image: MATT DUNHAM/AFP/Getty Images)

Today was set to be a boring day in Westminster. Sajid Javid, a courtier to George Osborne, was billed to give (yet another) speech about how the economy is going… Continue reading

27 Comments

Post-Warsi reshuffle kills off ‘senior minister of state’

6 August 2014 11:53
Baroness Warsi, a 'senior minister of state'. Picture: Getty.

Baroness Warsi’s shoes have now been filled. Her ministerial roles have been divvied up, with Baroness Anelay appointed Minister of State at the Foreign Office, attending Cabinet, Lord Bates working… Continue reading

25 Comments

Alex Salmond took a beating last night. And his supporters know it.

6 August 2014 11:36
Television Debate Between Alex Salmond And Alistair Darling

How about those twin imposters, triumph and defeat disaster? The reaction to last night’s debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling reveals as much as anything that happened in the… Continue reading

114 Comments

Where could Boris stand?

6 August 2014 10:39
cover

This week’s Spectator charts Boris Johnson’s return to Parliament – and examines the network of MPs already helping him get there. You’ll have to wait till tomorrow to read Harry… Continue reading

18 Comments

Breaking: Boris Johnson says ‘I will try to stand’ as an MP in 2015

6 August 2014 10:14
London's mayor Boris Johnson delivers a

Boris Johnson has just told journalists that he will in ‘all probability’ stand as an MP in 2015. After his speech on Europe, he was asked whether he would stand,… Continue reading

26 Comments

Labour and the ‘Tory lie machine’

6 August 2014 9:15
SajidJavidF

Sajid Javid is giving a speech today that doesn’t seem to have a great deal to do with his brief as Culture Secretary. He’s also a pretty good Tory attack… Continue reading

94 Comments

Alex Salmond fails to land the blow he desperately needed

5 August 2014 22:58
Television Debate Between Alex Salmond And Alistair Darling

Many people, I’m sure, will already be calling the first TV debate in Alistair Darling’s favour. That is a fair point to make but it was not quite as straightforward… Continue reading

154 Comments

Scottish independence debate: Alex Salmond vs Alistair Darling – live

5 August 2014 19:38
sal2

Welcome to tonight’s liveblog of the STV debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling. We’ll bring you rolling coverage and analysis of the exchanges. 21.50 Well, we didn’t learn… Continue reading

85 Comments

Warsi resignation: David Cameron replies

5 August 2014 16:24
Cameron and Warsi

Dear Sayeeda, Thank you for your letter today, in which you set out your reasons for resigning from the Government. I was sorry to receive this. I realise that this… Continue reading

111 Comments

Changes to The Spectator’s editorial team

5 August 2014 14:36
Spectator1

It’s a busy summer for The Spectator. Sales of the magazine are rising and our website is now visited by well over a million people each month. Spectator TV has… Continue reading

26 Comments