coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The SNP create their own reality – and voters lap it up

21 April 2015 16:40
SNP Launch Their Manifesto In Edinburgh

First let’s look at this chart. That’s Scotland’s fiscal position relative to that of the UK according to the latest IFS projections. It’s not a particularly bonny position though, of… Continue reading

220 Comments

If universities censor, they can’t complain when the state censors them

21 April 2015 15:38
(Photo: Getty)

I spoke at a Guardian debate on free speech before an audience of students at King’s College London last night. I’ve argued with racists and Putinists in my time and… Continue reading

108 Comments

The battle for South Thanet — can Nigel Farage win?

21 April 2015 12:58
IMG_2638

Isle of Thanet, Kent ‘Are you having me on?’ a lady shouts from inside her bungalow. ‘I’m going back in the bath.’ As with many residents of Ramsgate, this voter, who… Continue reading

257 Comments

Hampstead liberals can use their vote to fight radical Islam (and silence right-wing bores)

21 April 2015 12:43
Maajid Nawaz (Photo: Getty)

A few months ago I was in a pub on a quiet night and overheard a young couple having an argument about politics. They were both, I’m guessing, young white… Continue reading

135 Comments

The Tories are gaining momentum with their ‘Labour-SNP pact’ message

21 April 2015 12:12
rt

Complain all you like about the way the Tories are campaigning at the moment, but it’s getting the message across. The party has hit on the SNP, which is fascinating the… Continue reading

151 Comments

Islamic extremism doesn’t need a rebrand

21 April 2015 11:11
Boris Johnson during a visit to the Husseini Mosque in 2008 (Photo: Daniel Berehulak/Getty)

I have been wondering why nobody so far in this election seems to have made any mention of what most people recognise to be the biggest security problem facing this… Continue reading

435 Comments

Andrew Marr and the BBC misquoted David Cameron – but how did they get it so wrong?

21 April 2015 10:41
Image: Getty

After yesterday’s piece, in which I called out Andrew Marr for attributing an entirely incorrect quote to the PM on his Sunday morning show, two things have happened. Firstly, as Mr… Continue reading

65 Comments

Campaign kick-off: 16 days to go

21 April 2015 9:14
David Cameron Meets With John Major In Downing Street on May 26, 2010 in London, England.

The Tories are partying like it’s 1992. Sir John Major is being wheeled out today to reinforce what Michael Fallon and others have said: the SNP are dangerous for Britain. Labour… Continue reading

13 Comments

Cautious Miliband doesn’t want to talk about borrowing

20 April 2015 20:57
Labour Leader Ed Miliband Announces His Party's Education Manifesto

Labour is proposing to balance the current not the overall budget. This is presumably because they think that borrowing to spend money on capital projects is a sensible policy. But… Continue reading

49 Comments

She’s wrong, but Katie Hopkins has a right to call migrants ‘cockroaches’

20 April 2015 17:32
(Photo: Neil Mockford/Alex Huckle)

I know we’re all supposed to be spitting blood over Katie Hopkins’ Sun column about African migrants. In fact, anyone who isn’t currently testing the durability of their computer keyboard by… Continue reading

333 Comments

Exposed: the BBC’s ‘foxhunting’ smear against David Cameron

20 April 2015 17:31
cameron marr hunting

The Prime Minister’s interview on the Andrew Marr Show yesterday showed that despite claims to the contrary, Cameron isn’t lacking in passion; the PM was full of fight and his… Continue reading

94 Comments

Tories in the lead according to ICM and Lord Ashcroft

20 April 2015 16:45
Prime Minister David Cameron speaks to supporters during the launch of the Welsh Conservative manifesto on April 17, 2015 in Builth Wells, Wales.

The Conservatives are ahead once again in the latest Guardian/ICM poll. They are two points ahead on 34 per cent – but that’s a five point drop since their surprising… Continue reading

51 Comments

The tension in Labour’s energy policy between prices and decarbonisation

20 April 2015 16:13
bbcenvironmentdebate

There has always been a tension in Ed Miliband’s energy policy between its aim to get prices down via the price freeze and its desire to decarbonise the electricity market.… Continue reading

46 Comments

What’s more disturbing than a group of discredited old Nazis? The Green Party

20 April 2015 16:05
The Green Party Launch Their Election Manifesto

Yesterday’s Mail on Sunday had an interesting account of a meeting in London of Nazis, neo-Nazis, British National Party types and anti—Semites of various other hues. The paper infiltrated the meeting and exposed… Continue reading

281 Comments

Why are all the manifestos so rubbish?

20 April 2015 15:09
Manifestos are getting longer

So all the manifestos are now out for voters to pore over. Given the amount of fuss the parties have made about these documents, you’d think they might outsell Fifty… Continue reading

57 Comments

Five rules of politics that Nicola Sturgeon has broken

20 April 2015 12:39
Nicola Sturgeon Joins Alex Salmond On The Campaign Trail

Nicola Sturgeon met my Auntie Patsy over the weekend, then was kind enough to tweet a picture of their encounter (below). Seeing her sandwiched between the two people most likely… Continue reading

640 Comments

A vote for the SNP is a vote for a Labour government

20 April 2015 11:31
SNP Launch Their Manifesto In Edinburgh

For decades now the SNP have thirsted for the moment when they can be ‘relevant’ to the outcome of a Westminster general election. Well, they have that relevance now. Never before has… Continue reading

113 Comments

Don’t get angry at Katie Hopkins if you don’t support policies that could save migrants

20 April 2015 11:29
Hairspray Premiere - Arrivals

The latest issue of The Spectator carries an interesting piece by James Bartholomew on ‘virtue signalling’, the bane of social media and political debate; that is, people expressing how ruddy… Continue reading

143 Comments

Labour’s gamble for SNP support

20 April 2015 9:54
Keynote Speech By New Leader Of The SNP Nicola Sturgeon

The SNP launches its manifesto today in Edinburgh. Nicola Sturgeon will be arguing that the policies in the document are for the benefit of the whole of the United Kingdom,… Continue reading

35 Comments

Campaign kick-off: 17 days to go

20 April 2015 8:51
SNP Leader Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond campaign in the Gordon constituency on April 18, 2015 in Inverurie, Scotland.

The campaign’s focus will swing back to Scotland today, with Nicola Sturgeon launching the SNP’s manifesto in Edinburgh. Ed Miliband is also heading north, to address the Scottish TUC and… Continue reading

26 Comments

Young votes are there to be won but politicians don’t seem interested

19 April 2015 14:12
Russell Brand Delivers The Reading Agency Lecture

If I had a penny for every time a politician or a journalist insinuated that of all the issues facing Britain in the 21st century, public transport was the thing… Continue reading

141 Comments

Nigel Farage: David Cameron’s ‘fanaticism’ is to blame for Libya migrant crisis

19 April 2015 13:25
Nigel Farage on the Sunday Politics today. Photo: BBC.

Nigel Farage tends to stick to one line on foreign affairs: no more foreign wars. On the Sunday Politics today, the Ukip leader claimed that the migrant crisis and tragedies in the… Continue reading

164 Comments

The EU’s asylum policy is to blame for the tragedy unfolding in the Mediterranean

19 April 2015 13:23
(FILES) - Picture taken 21 May 2007 of A

As the leading article in The Spectator this week pointed out, thousands of people are fleeing war and anarchy in Africa and setting sail across the Mediterranean bound for Europe.… Continue reading

251 Comments

John Major to enter the electoral fray this week

19 April 2015 13:02
David Cameron Meets With John Major In Downing Street

David Cameron’s inner circle are always keen to talk up the parallels between this campaign and 1992. This week, the winner of that election will enter the fray on their… Continue reading

33 Comments

Duelling advice for Nigel Farage

19 April 2015 12:31
pr

A Polish prince this week challenged Nigel Farage to a duel. The prince, Yanek Zylinski, blames Farage and Ukip for anti-Polish sentiment in the UK so he’s suggesting they meet in Hyde… Continue reading

26 Comments