coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Election podcast special: eight days to go

29 April 2015 12:43
Scottish Labour Leader Jim Murphy enjoys an ice cream, after holding a street rally on Princess Street highlighting how Prime Minister David Cameron is playing with fire by talking up the SNP in his bid to cling to power on April 23, 2015 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

In today’s election podcast special, Fraser Nelson, James Forsyth and I discuss David Cameron’s ‘tax lock’ pledge, Ed Miliband’s promise on tax credits and why his interview with Russell Brand was such a… Continue reading

5 Comments

Labour’s ‘secret plan’ attack exploits Tory silence on welfare cuts

29 April 2015 11:40
An image tweeted by the Labour press team

A common technique in gothic horror novels is to avoid describing whatever monster the author is trying to scare readers with. The imagination is even more powerful than the pen,… Continue reading

34 Comments

New poll suggests SNP will win all 59 seats in Scotland

29 April 2015 11:32
First Minister of Scotland and leader of the SNP Nicola Sturgeon speaks during a UK general election campaign speech in Glasgow, Scotland on April 29, 2015.

Just when Scottish Labour didn’t think it could get any worse, a new poll suggests they are now facing total wipe out next Thursday. According to Ipsos MORI/STV News, the… Continue reading

162 Comments

Campaign kick-off: eight days to go

29 April 2015 9:13
Labour Party leader Ed Miliband addresses supporters on April 28, 2015 in Barry, Wales.

There will be more promises from the party leaders today — plus a comedic twist. David Cameron will pledge a five year ‘tax lock’ that will be enshrined in law,… Continue reading

29 Comments

Why attack ‘trickle-down economics?’ It doesn’t exist – and never has done

28 April 2015 20:07
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 19.59.21

During this election campaign, some intelligent people – politicians and columnists - have attacked “trickle-down economics” in the mistaken belief that it exists. Or that it ever existed. It’s a myth. In his… Continue reading

139 Comments

Like it or not, Russell Brand is the future of media (Ed Miliband seems to like it)

28 April 2015 19:03
11178428_10153243960832604_2051077345_n

I write at a difficult time. The balls are in the air, but we know not where they will land. Perhaps, by the time you get to read this, more… Continue reading

122 Comments

Why does Ed Miliband need a lectern in a back garden?

28 April 2015 18:52
Ed Miliband will even bring his lectern to your back garden. Image: Getty

Ed Miliband has clearly decided that a lectern is the way to help voters imagine him as a Prime Minister, and the Tories have clearly decided that it’s something worth… Continue reading

46 Comments

Francine Prose reminds us why so many novelists are so very, very stupid

28 April 2015 17:55
charlie-hebdo

I asked yesterday why so many novelists are so often so stupid. The answer, I suppose, is that we should expect no more from novelists than we do from plumbers.… Continue reading

41 Comments

The police shouldn’t be expected to clamp down on wolf whistling

28 April 2015 17:32
hat

Every morning on the way to work I pass a group of Polish builders waiting to start work on the new Design Museum. I know, it tells us a great deal… Continue reading

73 Comments

Fallon refuses to back Labour on Trident as he plays politics with defence

28 April 2015 17:08

Things have come to a pretty pass when the two party spokespeople who experience the worst drubbing in a debate are the current Defence Secretary and the Green party representative.… Continue reading

56 Comments

Rural people have been let down by both Labour and the Conservatives

28 April 2015 16:33
trac

In 1997, Labour could assert with a straight face that it was ‘the party of the countryside’, because it genuinely competed with the Tories for rural votes. Today, an electoral map of… Continue reading

34 Comments

Numbers, not arguments about legitimacy, will decide who enters No.10 after May 7

28 April 2015 15:42
Who will enter No.10 after 7 May 2015? Photo: Getty Images.

Lyndon Johnson’s first lesson of politics was to be able to count. It’s something that many of those commenting on the various post-election scenarios could do with remembering. Let’s start… Continue reading

41 Comments

Trident has become a political weapon in certain constituencies

28 April 2015 13:58
four

One constituency where the Tory attacks about a possible deal between Labour and the SNP work very well is Barrow and Furness, where Labour’s John Woodcock is standing for re-election.… Continue reading

110 Comments

Why slow GDP figures could be good for the Tories

28 April 2015 13:00
Image: Getty

Are today’s GDP figures really a blow to George Osborne as some of his critics are claiming? The Office for National Statistics said today that GDP grew by just 0.3… Continue reading

43 Comments

Feminism becomes more like Islamism every day

28 April 2015 12:42
The defaced Protein World advert at Liverpool Street

Here’s a tip for political activists: if your rabble-rousing echoes the behaviour and ideas of Islamists, then you’re doing something wrong. Consider the Protein World advert which — clutch my pearls!… Continue reading

920 Comments

We’re all Freddie Gray now: is racial tension America’s civic religion?

28 April 2015 12:35
Protestors participate in a vigil for Freddie Gray down the street from the Baltimore Police Department's Western District police station, April 21, 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland.

‘You’re trending on Twitter,’ said the Spectator books editor Sam Leith, who knows his social media. Am I? How exciting! What have I done? Sam explained: a young black man… Continue reading

26 Comments

Election podcast special: nine days to go

28 April 2015 12:30
David Cameron, U.K. prime minister and leader of the Conservative Party, speaks as he visits navigation and surveillance manufacturer Kelvin Hughes Ltd. while campaigning for votes ahead of the May 7 general election, in the Enfield district of London, U.K., on Tuesday, April 28, 2015

In today’s election podcast special, Fraser Nelson, James Forsyth, Isabel Hardman and I discuss David Cameron’s ramped up rhetoric on the SNP threat to the Union, the Tories’ promise to create 50,000 new apprenticeships from Libor fines… Continue reading

0 Comments

Will Cameron’s ‘10 days to save the Union’ message work?

28 April 2015 10:38
David Cameron Campaigns In The South West

David Cameron continues his anti-SNP campaign today, launching what the Times calls his ‘strongest attack so far’ on a Labour-SNP government. The Prime Minister tells the paper that there are… Continue reading

116 Comments

Campaign kick-off: nine days to go

28 April 2015 9:13
Happy Ed Balls Day. Photo: Twitter.

David Cameron is upping the ante on the SNP today, warning voters there’s just ‘ten days to save the United Kingdom’ — despite the fact the election is now nine… Continue reading

24 Comments

Ukip struggling in key target seats

27 April 2015 20:50
Nigel Farage Speaks At Master Investor Event

Ukip is expected to do well in a handful of seats, but where? Lord Ashcroft has polled four marginal seats where he’s previously found the people’s army doing well. Two of… Continue reading

216 Comments

PM pumps up the passion after porridge and panic

27 April 2015 18:58
David Cameron Makes Campaign Speech In London

David Cameron is known as the ‘essay crisis’ Prime Minister, and today he did little to dispel that impression. With just 10 days to go until the election, Cameron produced… Continue reading

24 Comments

Spectator competition: a paean to Red Rum (plus: famous writers’ job applications)

27 April 2015 18:45
Sculptor Lady Yarrow checks her model for a one third lifesize bronze statue of champion racehorse Red Rum against the real thing, 6th December 1974. (Photo by Ian Tyas/Keystone Features/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Thanks to David Pearn, who suggested that I invite competitors to write a paean to a famous racehorse and drew my attention to Right Royal, John Masefield’s 1920 fine narrative… Continue reading

2 Comments

Teflon Theresa and outraged Yvette battle over immigration and police cuts

27 April 2015 17:50

For the longest serving Home Secretary in 50 years, Theresa May’s record in government is not without its blemishes. On this afternoon’s Daily Politics home affairs debate she made a… Continue reading

50 Comments

Tories six points ahead in new Ashcroft poll and three points ahead according to ICM

27 April 2015 16:55
1001-cover-illo-original_SE1

Two new polls out today have the Tories ahead. Lord Ashcroft’s latest national poll says the Conservatives currently have a six point lead at per cent — up two points… Continue reading

38 Comments

The planning system distorts the housing market more than anything Miliband could dream up

27 April 2015 15:37

How foolish of Ed Miliband to try to pervert the free market in housing with his rent controls. There is a slight problem with this analysis, which we have heard… Continue reading

59 Comments