coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Podcast: Britain’s ambulance crisis, Cameron’s European way and the cultural generation gap

28 August 2014 10:00
(Photo: Carl Court/AFP/Getty)

999, what’s your emergency? This time, it’s one right at the heart of the ambulance service, as Mary Wakefield reveals in this week’s Spectator. Paramedics are fleeing and needless calls… Continue reading

1 Comment

Revealed: why paramedics are fleeing the NHS

28 August 2014 9:50
Image: Getty

I can’t blame bigwigs in the NHS for the meltdown of our 999 service. It’s fundamentally our own fault that the service we depend on to save our lives is… Continue reading

26 Comments

Modern Britain’s apathetic, inadequate response to child sexual abuse

27 August 2014 19:07
Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images

The customs developing around how modern British officialdom reacts to the gang-rape of children is very interesting. I’ve just watched an interview (above) with Shaun Wright, the Police and Crime… Continue reading

264 Comments

To understand the causes of child abuse we need to look at its perpetrators’ backgrounds

27 August 2014 18:19
Shoppers walk through the streets of Rotherham, South Yorkshire. Image: Nigel Roddis/Getty Images

Day two of the Rotherham scandal—or rather the fallout from the latest report on it—and there’s a marked, obvious change in the coverage of it from the last time the subject… Continue reading

124 Comments

Rotherham’s child abuse was ignored in order to protect careers and retirements

27 August 2014 16:32
(Photo: Getty)

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator, available tomorrow. Subscribe from just £12 for 12 issues here.  If Rotherham council were a family, its children would have been removed by… Continue reading

59 Comments

The real scandal of Rotherham is that social work doesn’t work

27 August 2014 12:32
scar

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator. To subscribe, click here. In 1980, June Lait and I published Can Social Work Survive?, the first critique of British social work… Continue reading

151 Comments

Exclusive: 74 MPs support campaign against Bercow’s clerk appointment

27 August 2014 12:26
bercow

The cross-party group of MPs opposing John Bercow’s appointment of Carol Mills as Clerk of the House have now submitted their early day motion designed to stop the Speaker going… Continue reading

10 Comments

Rotherham: Fear of all the wrong things failed 1,400 children

27 August 2014 9:34
Professor Alexis Jay during a press conference at the New York Stadium, Rotherham, following the publication of a report she wrote which found around 1,400 children were sexually exploited in the town over a 16-year period. Picture: PA

‘By 2005 few members or senior officers could say “we didn’t know”.’ It was ‘extraordinary’ that no-one on the lead Labour group on the council could remember discussing these matters.… Continue reading

274 Comments

Why the World Health Organisation’s fears about e-cigarettes are based on prejudice, not science

26 August 2014 20:06
(Photo: Getty)

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator, available from Thursday. To subscribe, click here. I was waiting on an office forecourt recently puffing on an e-cigarette when a security… Continue reading

60 Comments

The reluctance to talk about the link between beheadings and Islam

26 August 2014 19:37
Police forensic experts search for clues by the body of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh in 2004. Van Gogh was shot, stabbed and partly beheaded while cycling along a street in Amsterdam. Image: TOUSSAINT KLUITERS/AFP/Getty Images

Why do they behead people? Why do Islamic extremists—like those who killed the American journalist James Foley—choose beheading as their savage tactic of choice? I have not heard anybody ask… Continue reading

361 Comments

Isis are armed with smartphones, but so are we. Let’s fight them online

26 August 2014 19:33
(Photo: AP Photo/Raqqa Media Center)

I’ve written about online activism before. I thought the #nomakeupselfie was a vanity movement. The #bringbackourgirls one was self-righteous. I’ve had to bite my tongue mighty hard to hold back a rant… Continue reading

23 Comments

‘I didn’t want to appear racist’ is the ‘I was only obeying orders’ of our age

26 August 2014 18:44
child shadow

Up to 1,400 children were sexually exploited in Rotherham. Children as young as 11 were trafficked, beaten, and raped by large numbers of men between 1997 and 2013 in Rotherham,… Continue reading

307 Comments

Salmond finally works out how to wind up Darling

26 August 2014 18:20
(Photo: David Cheskin/AFP/Getty)

One of the many blows landed by Alex Salmond during last night’s debate centred on Alistair Darling’s criticism of the Office of Budget Responsibility, set up in 2010 by George Osborne… Continue reading

32 Comments

Leader of Rotherham Council resigns over child abuse scandal

26 August 2014 17:13
Professor Alexis Jay (Photo: BBC)

The leader of Rotherham Council has resigned following the results of a report which found that at least 1,400 children were victims of ‘appalling’ sexual exploitation in the town during… Continue reading

265 Comments

Breaking: Boris Johnson to stand in Uxbridge

26 August 2014 13:48
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson plays ten

Boris Johnson has confirmed that he is going to apply to be the Conservative candidate for Uxbridge and South Ruislip. His announcement comes on the same day that Nigel Farage… Continue reading

47 Comments

Not Tonight, Darling

26 August 2014 12:59
BRITAIN-SCOTLAND-POLITICS-VOTE-MEDIA

Well that was a gubbing. No doubt about it. Alex Salmond won last night’s debate against Alistair Darling just as thoroughly as he’d lost their first encounter. Sure, some Unionists… Continue reading

187 Comments

Revealed: the cross-party motion to stop Bercow in his tracks over clerk appointment

26 August 2014 11:38
FINLAND-BRITAIN-POLITICS

With just a few days before the House of Commons returns for the autumn term, the revolt against John Bercow’s plan to appoint Carol Mills as Clerk of the House… Continue reading

22 Comments

Have you heard the one about Isis and the ‘Ebola bomb’?

26 August 2014 10:35
Officials from the World Health Organization wearing protective clothing as they prepare to enter a hospital in Uganda. Image: ISAAC KASAMANI/AFP/Getty Images

Isis has the Ebola bomb. So be very, very afraid. If you’re a nutjob, that is. The conspiracy website Before It’s News reports that ‘whistleblower and former police officer’ Greg… Continue reading

15 Comments

Salmond and Darling’s Jeremy Kyle debate reinvigorates campaign

26 August 2014 8:58
Picture by Carla Millar

Both camps in the Scottish independence debate have now has their shock: Alex Salmond was shaken to be beaten by Alistair Darling in the first debate, while a confident Darling… Continue reading

64 Comments

View from 22 podcast special: Scottish independence debate round two

26 August 2014 0:24
Image: Getty

In this View from 22 podcast special, Alex Massie, Isabel Hardman and Fraser Nelson analyse this evening’s going on in Glasgow, as Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling took part in the second round of… Continue reading

139 Comments

Salmond vs Darling: round two – live

25 August 2014 20:22
Salmond doing his David Cameron-style walky talkie thing.  Photo: Getty

Welcome to tonight’s liveblog of the BBC debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow. 00:05 In this View from 22 podcast special, Isabel Hardman, Alex… Continue reading

117 Comments

Alex Salmond vs Alistair Darling, the Rematch

25 August 2014 15:10
Television Debate Between Alex Salmond And Alistair Darling

Like Paradise Lost, no-one – not even humble freelance hacks – ever wished the Scottish independence referendum campaign longer. We are, most of us, exhausted. Almost all passion has been spent.… Continue reading

40 Comments

Boris Johnson is not fit to be leader of the Tory party, never mind Prime Minister

25 August 2014 10:10
Boris Johnson Speech on Europe

Awkward, especially here, I know, but there you have it. But, look, if any other high-profile politician were suggesting the burden of proof in criminal trials should be switched from… Continue reading

213 Comments

The lefties are right: we really do pay our bosses too much

24 August 2014 16:17
fat cat

The FTSE100 index stands precisely where it did in the first week of December 1999. Whichever way you look at it, shareholders — including pension funds — have had a… Continue reading

44 Comments

Britain must do more for the new wave of asylum seekers

24 August 2014 15:21
An Iraqi Yazidi refugee woman arranges a tent at the Newroz camp in north eastern Syria after fleeing advances by Islamic State jihadists in Iraq. Image: AHMAD AL-RUBAYE/AFP/Getty Images

Over the summer I read Vilhelm Moberg’s The Emigrants, a documentary novel about the Swedes who emigrated to America in the 18th century. It powerfully describes what drove illiterate peasants… Continue reading

260 Comments