coffee house

Coffee Houserss

The state should send many more poor children to private schools

29 July 2014 15:08
An Overview Of Eton College

Better capital makes us richer. That’s uncontroversial when it comes to fixed capital like machine tools and computers, but it’s also true of human capital. Better educated workers create more… Continue reading

12 Comments

Why does Richard Evans choose to vent his spleen on untrained teachers?

29 July 2014 13:51
(Photo: Getty)

I knew that the historian Sir Richard Evans was a rather abrasive and quarrelsome man, but I was staggered by his vicious attack on Michael Gove in the Guardian last… Continue reading

29 Comments

Nicky Morgan and Tristram Hunt respond to the ‘Trojan horse’ schools report

22 July 2014 13:45
Concern Grows Over Trojan Horse Inquiry At Birmingham Schools

Nicky Morgan described the findings of Peter Clarke’s report into the Birmingham schools scandal as ‘disturbing’, and laid out how she plans to respond. listen to ‘Nicky Morgan’s statement on… Continue reading

26 Comments

Britain has let Islamists run riot – as today’s report into the ‘Trojan horse’ plot reveals

22 July 2014 13:09
d89

Peter Clarke, a former counter-terror chief, has published a report today which reveals that an ‘aggressive Islamist agenda’ was pursued in ‘Trojan horse’ schools in Birmingham. He has found evidence of a… Continue reading

199 Comments

Nicky Morgan passes her first test as Education Secretary

21 July 2014 15:53
BRITAIN-POLITICS

Nicky Morgan came to parliament today to praise Michael Gove, not to bury him: ‘It is a privilege,’ she said, ‘to follow him in this role.’ Her first outing as… Continue reading

6 Comments

Many of Britain’s best head teachers backed Michael Gove

21 July 2014 14:09
George Osborne Visits A School In East London

Reading the papers over the last few days, you’d be forgiven for thinking that no teachers backed Michael Gove and his agenda. But a letter in The Sunday Times yesterday told… Continue reading

67 Comments

Michael Gove’s ‘personal crusade’

10 July 2014 9:25
Image: Getty

Michael Gove’s speech to today’s education reform conference is a robust defence of his reforms. He calls closing the attainment gap between rich and poor a ‘personal crusade for me’.… Continue reading

23 Comments

Generation Y: A jilted generation, or just a bunch of whingers?

19 June 2014 16:50
gen0

Generation Y – are they really a jilted generation, or do they have absolutely no reason to be complaining about their lot? This was the question posed at Tuesday night’s… Continue reading

5 Comments

Scaremongering and smearing: just another day in the Scottish referendum campaign.

17 June 2014 19:50
Gordon Brown's Speech Proposing Further Devolution To Scotland

I was surprised to discover this morning that Gordon Brown last night suggested the Scottish education system should be abolished and replaced by a new pan-UK curriculum and examination system.… Continue reading

127 Comments

What’s the best way to prepare young people for employment?

17 June 2014 10:22
What's the best way to prepare students for the future? Image: Getty

Britain’s skills crisis was addressed by the country’s leading educationalists today at The Spectator’s half-day conference, Giving Britain the skills it needs. Matthew Hancock, Minister for Skills and Enterprise, delivered the… Continue reading

15 Comments

Michael Gove is being helped by Labour’s poor discipline and weak attacks

16 June 2014 18:00

It doesn’t really matter whether Dominic Cummings’ Times interview was unhelpful to Michael Gove. Labour has just been about as helpful to the Education Secretary as it possibly could be… Continue reading

21 Comments

The government’s plans to embrace technology in the classroom

16 June 2014 17:24

How can technology help British students to acquire the skills they need to succeed? This is the question that Matthew Hancock, Minister for Skills & Enterprise, addressed this morning at… Continue reading

5 Comments

David Cameron is a Tory, not a radical. Which is both a strength and a problem.

16 June 2014 13:07
Spending Review - Government Ministry Buildings

There is much to enjoy in Dominic Cummings’ glorious attack on the ghastliness of Britain’s political system. It is a cri-de-coeur from a man who, whatever else may be said… Continue reading

64 Comments

Nick Clegg is setting out what the Lib Dems stand for

16 June 2014 12:32
Nick Clegg and a young person. Image: Getty

What is Nick Clegg up to? He held a press conference today to tell us that his party’s manifesto will be a Lib Dem manifesto, not a manifesto aimed at… Continue reading

26 Comments

How should we respond to events in Birmingham?

13 June 2014 17:25

As metaphors go, calling the alleged plot to take over schools in Birmingham a ‘Trojan Horse’ is a pretty powerful one. This allegedly was a devious attempt by a group… Continue reading

133 Comments

Britain needs ‘Church schools’ and ‘faith schools’

10 June 2014 17:52

Following Freddy Gray’s piece yesterday about the pundits’ efforts to exploit the ‘Trojan Horse’ affair in order discredit ‘faith’ schools, I thought you might be interested in the statement below,… Continue reading

260 Comments

The Trojan Horse affair illuminates a vital difference between the Tories and Labour.

10 June 2014 10:01
20140609-090923-32963138.jpg

The reaction to the Trojan Horse scandal has, in my view, been as interesting – and telling – as anything in the scandal itself. It is not, of course, surprising… Continue reading

57 Comments

Labour’s radical schools hypocrisy

7 June 2014 20:29
Balls. Image: Getty

I see that the Labour party, and Labour’s shadow education secretary Tristram Hunt in particular, are trying to make political capital out of the ‘Trojan Horse’ Islamic schools scandal. I’ll… Continue reading

130 Comments

Michael Gove’s moral mission

7 June 2014 11:40
gove

Few modern-day political speeches need to be read in full, but Michael Gove’s today does. The speech to Policy Exchange’s Education Conference contains what must be the moral core of… Continue reading

76 Comments

Gove and May ensured the Queen’s Speech wasn’t the day’s main story

4 June 2014 16:38
gomay

Downing Street must be hopping mad with Theresa May and Michael Gove for pursuing their own row on the day of a Queen’s Speech that was carefully crafted so as… Continue reading

49 Comments

Michael Gove hasn’t banned Steinbeck – but perhaps he should have.

27 May 2014 17:06
The Conservative Party Annual Conference

I’ve never quite understood why so many people hate Michael Gove. I mean, really hate him. To my mind his heart is so obviously in the right place that I’m… Continue reading

119 Comments

We need better migration data for an effective immigration policy

16 May 2014 11:56
UKBA's £13M in adverse legal fees

Britain has a long and proud history of opening its doors to the vulnerable and oppressed; of welcoming workers, students and tourists from across the world. I believe that Britain… Continue reading

16 Comments

Economic growth starts in the classroom

16 May 2014 11:03

If you want to meet the business leaders of the future, visit a school. The children in classrooms today are the inventors, makers and entrepreneurs of decades to come. If… Continue reading

6 Comments

The Lib Dems no longer support school choice

12 May 2014 8:19
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg And Business Secretary Vince Cable Visit Ricardo Engine Assembly Facility

Throughout this latest, blazing Coalition row over Michael Gove – which is spreading like fire over dry heath and has now ignited the normally harmonious Treasury – the Liberal Democrats… Continue reading

33 Comments

Mr Gove, after-school clubs need to learn from family life

20 April 2014 11:23
The intimate family supper is key to any child's intellectual and emotional development. (Photo by Keystone View/FPG/Getty Images)

In news to warm Michael Gove’s heart, a new survey carried out by the Association of Teachers and Lecturers has found that children as young a four are now routinely… Continue reading

44 Comments