It’s that time of year again, and there is a very easy answer as to what to get your better half, or your friends, for Christmas. We have just launched our best-ever deal for a Spectator subscription: £69.99 for a year’s full access (print, online, iPad, iPhone, Android) which is itself some 61 per cent off the cover price. But what makes this a steal is that you get a free bottle of champagne thrown into the deal, dispatched instantly (the gift subscription starts in January). That brings the discount closer to 75 per cent, the best deal the Spectator has ever offered.

And why subscribe? Take today’s newspapers: the Independent splashes on a story that’s just prompted a discussion on Radio 4’s Today programme: ‘GCSE results are “largely determined by genes.”‘ It’s about a massive, and deeply unsettling academic study. Great story – and it was when our deputy editor, Mary Wakefield, broke it in July with analysis and an interview with the academic who ran the study. Read it here. 

Inline sub2

Then the FT: today, it reveals that Ed Miliband has changed his mind on Heathrow expansion. A big story – for those who didn’t read it in the Spectator three weeks ago. James Forsyth dropped this into his weekly political column, along with the other jewels and gems he collects in his must-read brief of what’s happening in Westminster.

Deja lu – the feeling that you’ve read something before – comes free with every subscription to The Spectator. But you could take out a subscription just for our arts coverage, or just for our literary review section – both of which are easily the best in the land. At the Spectator’s carol concert last night I met readers who said they think the (now paltry) subscription price is justified only by our cartoons, elected by Fleet Street legend Michael Heath.

Life is just too short not to read The Spectator.

This deal, easily the cheapest I’ve seen, won’t last for long. I will confess to some insider trading and have bought three such gift subscriptions: the champagne duly arrived, is now chilling in my fridge ready for Christmas. Or just for Friday. There’s never been a better time to join us.

Tags: Free champagne, Spectator, Spectator Subscription, Subscription, The Spectator