coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Campaign against Bercow’s Clerk plan reaches 84 supporters

29 August 2014 18:03
Speaker John Bercow. Image: Getty

Monday will be a busy day in the Commons. Speaker Bercow is expected to give a statement on the swelling row over his plan to appoint Carol Mills as Clerk… Continue reading

16 Comments

David Cameron may be about to call time on the coalition’s civil libertarian stance

29 August 2014 17:37
Image: Getty

It was not so much the announcements that David Cameron made in his press conference about the terror threat to the UK that were significant, but what he looks like… Continue reading

69 Comments

Ukip should beware distracting from its Carswell coup with talk of other defections

29 August 2014 12:46
Millionaire Stuart Wheeler Loses Lisbon Treaty Challenge

Stuart Wheeler has just been boasting on Sky News that two more Conservative MPs are ‘seriously considering’ defecting to Ukip. Wheeler has been the broker in any potential defections, wining… Continue reading

114 Comments

Even without more defections, the pressure is back on Cameron

29 August 2014 8:25
Picture by Carla Millar

What will be the impact on the Conservative party of Douglas Carswell’s defection? Even though there is some excitement this morning about other meetings that Ukip has held with Conservative… Continue reading

123 Comments

Douglas Carswell: the rebel with an unclear cause

28 August 2014 15:44

Anyone who would rather not live in a Britain run by Ed Miliband and Ed Balls should be dismayed at Carswell’s defection to Ukip. He is an original, intelligent and… Continue reading

296 Comments

If the Tories can’t keep Carswell in the fold, they are in serious trouble

28 August 2014 14:30
(Photo: BBC)

Douglas Carswell’s defection to Ukip is a serious blow to the Tory party. Unlike so many other defectors, Carswell is not off because he has an axe to grind. This… Continue reading

154 Comments

Eurosceptic camp ‘weakened’ by Carswell defection

28 August 2014 12:37
Prime Minster British Prime Minister David Cameron Attends A Rally Before European And Local Elections

Douglas Carswell’s defection today to Ukip is terrible for David Cameron. But it is also deeply inconvenient for his band of eurosceptic brothers. He was a key member of a… Continue reading

62 Comments

Douglas Carswell has decided Cameron will squander his EU reform opportunity

28 August 2014 12:31
Prime Minister David Cameron Makes Speech On The UK's Position In Europe

As well as saying his decision is regrettable and counterproductive, the other Tory response to this morning’s shock defection by Douglas Carswell is to point people to instances where Carswell… Continue reading

51 Comments

Douglas Carswell’s defection is a disaster for David Cameron and great news for Ed Miliband

28 August 2014 12:13
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.12.14

I like Douglas Carswell. He thinks for himself and has always, I think, added some welcome colour to parliament. But I don’t understand his defection to UKIP at all. If… Continue reading

177 Comments

Tory whips tell MPs: We will fight Carswell vigorously

28 August 2014 12:10
Illustration: Stephen Collins.

The Tory whips have just sent their line-to-take on Douglas Carswell to MPs. Seen by Coffee House, the email repeats the Tory spokesman line that this is a ‘regrettable and… Continue reading

34 Comments

Breaking: Tory MP Douglas Carswell defects to Ukip

28 August 2014 11:08
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.12.14

In the past few minutes, Tory MP Douglas Carswell has announced at a special press conference that he is defecting to Ukip. listen to ‘Douglas Carswell defects to Ukip’ on… Continue reading

332 Comments

Worried about Britain’s poor social mobility? Here’s a way to change things

28 August 2014 10:36
(Photo: Christopher Furlong/Getty)

Today’s report about the penetration of the privately-educated at the top of British society should be familiar: the Sutton Trust has been producing this study for years and the picture… Continue reading

32 Comments

Podcast: Britain’s ambulance crisis, Cameron’s European way and the cultural generation gap

28 August 2014 10:00
(Photo: Carl Court/AFP/Getty)

999, what’s your emergency? This time, it’s one right at the heart of the ambulance service, as Mary Wakefield reveals in this week’s Spectator. Paramedics are fleeing and needless calls… Continue reading

1 Comment

Revealed: why paramedics are fleeing the NHS

28 August 2014 9:50
Image: Getty

I can’t blame bigwigs in the NHS for the meltdown of our 999 service. It’s fundamentally our own fault that the service we depend on to save our lives is… Continue reading

17 Comments

Modern Britain’s apathetic, inadequate response to child sexual abuse

27 August 2014 19:07
Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images

The customs developing around how modern British officialdom reacts to the gang-rape of children is very interesting. I’ve just watched an interview (above) with Shaun Wright, the Police and Crime… Continue reading

245 Comments

To understand the causes of child abuse we need to look at its perpetrators’ backgrounds

27 August 2014 18:19
Shoppers walk through the streets of Rotherham, South Yorkshire. Image: Nigel Roddis/Getty Images

Day two of the Rotherham scandal—or rather the fallout from the latest report on it—and there’s a marked, obvious change in the coverage of it from the last time the subject… Continue reading

106 Comments

Rotherham’s child abuse was ignored in order to protect careers and retirements

27 August 2014 16:32
(Photo: Getty)

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator, available tomorrow. Subscribe from just £12 for 12 issues here.  If Rotherham council were a family, its children would have been removed by… Continue reading

49 Comments

The real scandal of Rotherham is that social work doesn’t work

27 August 2014 12:32
scar

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator. To subscribe, click here. In 1980, June Lait and I published Can Social Work Survive?, the first critique of British social work… Continue reading

148 Comments

Exclusive: 74 MPs support campaign against Bercow’s clerk appointment

27 August 2014 12:26
bercow

The cross-party group of MPs opposing John Bercow’s appointment of Carol Mills as Clerk of the House have now submitted their early day motion designed to stop the Speaker going… Continue reading

10 Comments

Rotherham: Fear of all the wrong things failed 1,400 children

27 August 2014 9:34
Professor Alexis Jay during a press conference at the New York Stadium, Rotherham, following the publication of a report she wrote which found around 1,400 children were sexually exploited in the town over a 16-year period. Picture: PA

‘By 2005 few members or senior officers could say “we didn’t know”.’ It was ‘extraordinary’ that no-one on the lead Labour group on the council could remember discussing these matters.… Continue reading

271 Comments

Why the World Health Organisation’s fears about e-cigarettes are based on prejudice, not science

26 August 2014 20:06
(Photo: Getty)

This is an extract from this week’s Spectator, available from Thursday. To subscribe, click here. I was waiting on an office forecourt recently puffing on an e-cigarette when a security… Continue reading

60 Comments

The reluctance to talk about the link between beheadings and Islam

26 August 2014 19:37
Police forensic experts search for clues by the body of Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh in 2004. Van Gogh was shot, stabbed and partly beheaded while cycling along a street in Amsterdam. Image: TOUSSAINT KLUITERS/AFP/Getty Images

Why do they behead people? Why do Islamic extremists—like those who killed the American journalist James Foley—choose beheading as their savage tactic of choice? I have not heard anybody ask… Continue reading

344 Comments

Isis are armed with smartphones, but so are we. Let’s fight them online

26 August 2014 19:33
(Photo: AP Photo/Raqqa Media Center)

I’ve written about online activism before. I thought the #nomakeupselfie was a vanity movement. The #bringbackourgirls one was self-righteous. I’ve had to bite my tongue mighty hard to hold back a rant… Continue reading

22 Comments

‘I didn’t want to appear racist’ is the ‘I was only obeying orders’ of our age

26 August 2014 18:44
child shadow

Up to 1,400 children were sexually exploited in Rotherham. Children as young as 11 were trafficked, beaten, and raped by large numbers of men between 1997 and 2013 in Rotherham,… Continue reading

299 Comments

Salmond finally works out how to wind up Darling

26 August 2014 18:20
(Photo: David Cheskin/AFP/Getty)

One of the many blows landed by Alex Salmond during last night’s debate centred on Alistair Darling’s criticism of the Office of Budget Responsibility, set up in 2010 by George Osborne… Continue reading

32 Comments