coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Nick Clegg: No agreement on TPIM measures is not an argument

2 September 2014 8:53
moma_magritte_treacheryofimages_

Nick Clegg had a stab at being René Magritte on the Today programme this morning, telling us that a disagreement between the two coalition parties over anti-terror measures that were… Continue reading

2 Comments

Scottish referendum: ‘no’ lead falls to 6 points, from 22 points last month

1 September 2014 22:16
Image: Getty

Tonight brings a reminder that the Union is in real danger. A new YouGov poll has the No camp’s lead in the Scottish referendum down to just six points. Just… Continue reading

123 Comments

Cameron’s anti-terror statement sets out autumn battles

1 September 2014 17:07
Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 16.33.06

So, after the horsetrading of the past few days, the Conservatives appear to have won their battle to add relocation powers to the terrorism prevention and investigation measures. In his… Continue reading

56 Comments

The current political climate rewards authoritarians, not civil libertarians

1 September 2014 14:48
(Photo: Leon Neal/AFP/Getty)

The talks between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives on the anti-terror measures that David Cameron will unveil this afternoon have finally finished. There are a few more details to… Continue reading

40 Comments

Listen: Humiliated Bercow heckled as he pauses Clerk appointment

1 September 2014 14:46
Photo: Getty Images.

Even though he decided to call the delay in the appointment of a new Clerk ‘modest’, John Bercow has just suffered a humiliating climb down in the Commons. The Speaker… Continue reading

15 Comments

How Parliament ignored sex abuse allegations

1 September 2014 14:19
Rotherham. Alexis Jay's report, released last Tuesday, estimates that at least 1,400 children were sexually abused in the town's care homes between 1997 and 2013. Image: Anna Gowthorpe/Getty Images

Sexual exploitation of a single child is a despicable crime, but the whole country is in shock at the industrial scale of the abuse that has been revealed in Rotherham… Continue reading

90 Comments

Cameron does not have as much time as he’d like on European reform

1 September 2014 8:16
Mogg

What should worry David Cameron more, Douglas Carswell’s defection to Ukip or reports that as many as 100 Tory MPs could go into the general election pledging to leave the… Continue reading

207 Comments

Coalition minds the gap on anti-terror measures

31 August 2014 20:02
UK terror threat raised

The Coalition parties are gearing up for a week of minding the gaps. Tomorrow, David Cameron plans to tell MPs about measures that he feels are necessary for plugging the… Continue reading

21 Comments

If Carswell was serious about Europe, he would never have defected

31 August 2014 16:10
(Photo: AFP/Getty)

Where is this burning point of principle that drove Douglas Carswell into the arms of Ukip? I’ve read lots about his defection, and I’m still none the wiser. We’re told… Continue reading

386 Comments

Ukip set for crushing Clacton win

31 August 2014 9:39
(Photo: Oli Scarff/Getty)

David Cameron and the Tories’ electoral hopes are about to take a long walk on Clacton’s short pier. A poll in the Mail on Sunday today has Ukip on 64%… Continue reading

333 Comments

Tusk as European Council President is a mixed blessing for Cameron

30 August 2014 21:07

Donald Tusk, the Polish Prime Minister, has been appointed the new European Council President. Tonight, Tusk has had warm words about how imperative it is that Britain’s concerns about the… Continue reading

52 Comments

Can Douglas Carswell stop Ukip screwing things up?

30 August 2014 20:25
Douglas

I rejoiced at the news of Douglas Carswell’s defection to Ukip. Not because I’m a Ukip supporter (I haven’t made up my mind) but because it highlights the slippery dishonesty of… Continue reading

103 Comments

I’ve been called a paedophile, a terrorist and a Quisling: Jim Murphy on the ‘Yes’ mob

30 August 2014 17:27
Scottish independence referendum

I have had to suspend my ‘No Thanks’ independence referendum tour of Scotland. It was back in June that I announced my plan to tour the country.  A hundred events. … Continue reading

319 Comments

Spectator competition: compose a poet’s verse selfie (plus: what happens when the lights go out)

30 August 2014 10:30

Submissions to the latest competition, which invited you to provide a poetic preview of when the lights go out, were impressively varied and kept me thoroughly entertained. Honourable mentions go… Continue reading

0 Comments

Campaign against Bercow’s Clerk plan reaches 84 supporters

29 August 2014 18:03
Speaker John Bercow. Image: Getty

Monday will be a busy day in the Commons. Speaker Bercow is expected to give a statement on the swelling row over his plan to appoint Carol Mills as Clerk… Continue reading

30 Comments

David Cameron may be about to call time on the coalition’s civil libertarian stance

29 August 2014 17:37

It was not so much the announcements that David Cameron made in his press conference about the terror threat to the UK that were significant, but what he looks like… Continue reading

132 Comments

Ukip should beware distracting from its Carswell coup with talk of other defections

29 August 2014 12:46
Millionaire Stuart Wheeler Loses Lisbon Treaty Challenge

Stuart Wheeler has just been boasting on Sky News that two more Conservative MPs are ‘seriously considering’ defecting to Ukip. Wheeler has been the broker in any potential defections, wining… Continue reading

191 Comments

Even without more defections, the pressure is back on Cameron

29 August 2014 8:25
Picture by Carla Millar

What will be the impact on the Conservative party of Douglas Carswell’s defection? Even though there is some excitement this morning about other meetings that Ukip has held with Conservative… Continue reading

157 Comments

Douglas Carswell: the rebel with an unclear cause

28 August 2014 15:44

Anyone who would rather not live in a Britain run by Ed Miliband and Ed Balls should be dismayed at Carswell’s defection to Ukip. He is an original, intelligent and… Continue reading

341 Comments

If the Tories can’t keep Carswell in the fold, they are in serious trouble

28 August 2014 14:30
(Photo: BBC)

Douglas Carswell’s defection to Ukip is a serious blow to the Tory party. Unlike so many other defectors, Carswell is not off because he has an axe to grind. This… Continue reading

156 Comments

Eurosceptic camp ‘weakened’ by Carswell defection

28 August 2014 12:37
Prime Minster British Prime Minister David Cameron Attends A Rally Before European And Local Elections

Douglas Carswell’s defection today to Ukip is terrible for David Cameron. But it is also deeply inconvenient for his band of eurosceptic brothers. He was a key member of a… Continue reading

64 Comments

Douglas Carswell has decided Cameron will squander his EU reform opportunity

28 August 2014 12:31
Prime Minister David Cameron Makes Speech On The UK's Position In Europe

As well as saying his decision is regrettable and counterproductive, the other Tory response to this morning’s shock defection by Douglas Carswell is to point people to instances where Carswell… Continue reading

61 Comments

Douglas Carswell’s defection is a disaster for David Cameron and great news for Ed Miliband

28 August 2014 12:13
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.12.14

I like Douglas Carswell. He thinks for himself and has always, I think, added some welcome colour to parliament. But I don’t understand his defection to UKIP at all. If… Continue reading

182 Comments

Tory whips tell MPs: We will fight Carswell vigorously

28 August 2014 12:10
Illustration: Stephen Collins.

The Tory whips have just sent their line-to-take on Douglas Carswell to MPs. Seen by Coffee House, the email repeats the Tory spokesman line that this is a ‘regrettable and… Continue reading

35 Comments

Breaking: Tory MP Douglas Carswell defects to Ukip

28 August 2014 11:08
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 11.12.14

In the past few minutes, Tory MP Douglas Carswell has announced at a special press conference that he is defecting to Ukip. listen to ‘Douglas Carswell defects to Ukip’ on… Continue reading

378 Comments