coffee house

Coffee Houserss

Our Scottish campaign will encourage English Nationalism unless the voice of England is heard

18 September 2014 22:30
BNP

This is an extract from a speech delivered by Tory MP Conor Burns at a Conservative association dinner in Chris Grayling’s constituency tonight: It would be extraordinary if I did… Continue reading

4 Comments

Podcast: the night Britain holds its breath

18 September 2014 22:00
The Annual Cowal Highland Games

Well, it’s going to be a nail-biter. The voting has closed, and I’ve just spoken to Hamish Macdonell and James Forsyth for the podcast: both sides think that they have… Continue reading

4 Comments

Live: Scottish independence referendum, results night

18 September 2014 21:42
(Photo: Getty)

12.36pm The Lib Dems have decided it is a good night to bury bad news, announcing that Mike Hancock MP, who has faced sexual assault claims, has resigned from the… Continue reading

3 Comments

Spectator writers on the good, the bad and the ugly moments of the IndyRef

18 September 2014 20:04
Bob Geldof tries to keep the Union together (Photo: Getty)

James Forsyth Until that YouGov poll putting Yes ahead, the No camp had steered clear of making an emotional appeal. But in the aftermath of that poll, people—finally—began to speak… Continue reading

6 Comments

Scottish independence referendum results: what to expect

18 September 2014 19:48
Image: Getty

Coffee House is ready to cover the independence referendum results, and we’ll be bringing you news and analysis throughout the night. Isabel Hardman, James Forsyth and Fraser Nelson will be blogging –… Continue reading

5 Comments

Even if it’s a No vote, the fall out will be very complicated

18 September 2014 18:49
(Photo: Matt Cardy/Getty)

The most startling development over the past few days has not only been the narrowing of the polls but the consequential commitment of the three UK party leaders to Gordon… Continue reading

85 Comments

The John Cantlie video shows Islamic State have taken a leaf out of Vice’s book

18 September 2014 16:58
image.adapt.960.high

Islamic State (IS) have just released a new video that features the journalist John Cantlie. Until now, his whereabouts in Syria were unknown, but it now looks as if he has… Continue reading

11 Comments

Labour seeks business support for faster increases in the minimum wage

18 September 2014 15:44
Labour Party Leader Ed Miliband Speaks At The Scottish Labour conference

With Labour conference next week, a letter has gone out to business people from Alan Buckle, the senior accountant who Ed Miliband appointed to look at how to boost the minimum… Continue reading

18 Comments

Whoever wins Scotland’s referendum, the ‘yes’ side has emphatically won the campaign

18 September 2014 11:40
(Photo: Matt Cardy/Getty)

As I left Edinburgh this morning, en route to Inverness, I passed about four ‘yes’ activists cheerily wishing me good morning, asking if I have voted and would I like… Continue reading

266 Comments

Podcast: Campaign errors, Scotland turns its back and Anglican wars over women bishops

18 September 2014 8:30
Argyll And Southern Highlanders Home Coming Parade

Scotland goes to the polls today, but whichever way the vote goes, it’s clear who lost the campaign: ‘No’ was outsmarted at every stage of the referendum battle. But how… Continue reading

22 Comments

Salmond uses final rally to congratulate campaigners

17 September 2014 23:29
salmond

Anyone listening to Alex Salmond’s final pro-independence rally tonight in Perth might have been forgiven for thinking the ‘Yes’ campaign was in the lead in the polls. He used most… Continue reading

36 Comments

Final polls put No ahead

17 September 2014 22:35
The Annual Cowal Highland Games

The last YouGov poll of the campaign, which has a far larger than usual sample size, has No ahead 52-48. The last phone poll of the campaign, a Survation effort,… Continue reading

36 Comments

Vote for Britain to be a force for good in the world. Vote to keep the Union

17 September 2014 20:36
Scottish Referendum 'Better Together' Campaigners On The Streets Of Glasgow

I have been almost silent about the Scottish independence campaign. Not just because, like a lot of British people, I had assumed that this terrible matter would never have been opened… Continue reading

158 Comments

The Scottish jobs miracle is an argument for Union, not independence

17 September 2014 19:09
Ravenscraig Steel Works - shortly before it closed in the mid-1990s (Elliott Simpson) / (CC BY-SA 2.0)

One of the more bizarre aspects of the Scottish independence debate is the idea that UK welfare reform somehow doesn’t fit Scotland. On the contrary, it was designed for Glasgow… Continue reading

26 Comments

Watch: Gordon Brown’s passionate speech in defence of the Union

17 September 2014 18:10
BRITAIN-SCOTLAND-INDEPENDENCE-VOTE

It’s been called rousing, barnstorming, the speech of his life. Gordon Brown’s passionate message for Scotland, which he delivered to an enthused crowd at the Maryhill Community Central Hall in Glasgow,… Continue reading

101 Comments

Salmond’s biggest myth

17 September 2014 18:06
Referendum Debate Continues As Campaigns Enter Final Week

When I asked one leading SNP figure right at the start of this process how they would try and win this referendum, he told me that by the end of… Continue reading

56 Comments

Two campaign styles: one from the head, one from the heart

17 September 2014 16:57
s

Aside from the odd angry moment, campaigning with ‘Yes’ in Kelvin this morning was very pleasant. It was also rather different from yesterday’s ‘No’ door knocking, and not just because… Continue reading

31 Comments

England’s real democratic deficit

17 September 2014 15:08
Image: Getty

Do you remember what you were doing on Monday the 30th of June 2003? I do. I was in Parliament Square at the Families for Hunting Vigil, holding a big sign… Continue reading

41 Comments

Why a ‘No’ voter hurled abuse at ‘Yes’ campaigners

17 September 2014 14:15
Party Leaders Campaign To Save The Union

I’ve just watched a passionate, informed debate about politics taking place on a street corner between three ordinary people. I’ve never seen that before. I should be thrilled, but instead… Continue reading

60 Comments

Yes or No, the little white rose of Scotland will bloom again

17 September 2014 13:28
BRITAIN-SCOTLAND-INDEPENDENCE-VOTE

And so our watch is all but over. Who knows what comes tomorrow but at least and at last the final reckoning is upon us. It is choosing time and… Continue reading

119 Comments

Scotland could never prosper under the SNP, because they don’t understand business

17 September 2014 12:56
Michelle Mone (Photo: Tristan Fewings/Getty)

No-nonsense businesspeople will be very much what’s needed in the aftermath of the Scottish Catastrophe, as it will surely come to be known whichever way the vote has fallen. No… Continue reading

76 Comments

The public voices for Scotland's no? Expats. Tory. Establishment. Posh. Why?

17 September 2014 12:34
ant

Journalistically speaking, it’s been a good year to be Scottish and Jewish. Had I been a Welsh Zoroastrian, say, I doubt I’d have had nearly so much to say. In… Continue reading

79 Comments

Is the ‘Yes’ campaign winning converts – or preaching to the choir?

17 September 2014 10:59
photo 2

In Glasgow, it’s difficult not to conclude that the ‘Yes’ camp has the momentum in these final few days. There are ‘No’ badges, posters and flags around the city, but… Continue reading

49 Comments

David Cameron’s draft resignation letter in the event of a Yes vote

17 September 2014 8:00
To my dear country... (Photo: Getty)

As told to Jonathan Foreman… To my fellow citizens I would like to apologise for the role I have played in the dismantling of the United Kingdom. I am sure… Continue reading

368 Comments

‘No’ quietly confident on campaign trail

16 September 2014 16:42
house

I’ve just spent a couple of hours on the Burnhill estate in Rutherglen watching a group of Labour ‘No’ campaigners knock on the doors of voters to find out how… Continue reading

60 Comments