coffee house

Coffee Houserss

These latest sanctions against Putin might just work

31 July 2014 12:05
RUSSIA-UKRAINE-POLITICS-UNREST-PUTIN

‘Sanctions,’ said Kofi Annan, ‘are a necessary middle ground between war and words.’ Neither the EU nor the US will deploy troops or missiles to defend Ukraine against Russian-backed separatists,… Continue reading

0 Comments

Podcast: The lure of the crowd, anti-Semitism and Cameron’s uncertain future

31 July 2014 10:34
(Photo: Getty)

Hell, as one of Jean-Paul Sartre’s characters said, is other people. Unless, that is, you happen to be British and born after about 1980, in which case hell is the… Continue reading

19 Comments

Next to the great halal scandal, grouse is small beer. But which has M&S banned?

31 July 2014 10:30
Final Preparations Are Underway For The Glorious Twelfth

Last year I got my grouse at M&S. The birds, I mean. There’s a little fresh meat section in the Kensington branch round the corner from me at work, and… Continue reading

16 Comments

Is NATO a busted flush?

31 July 2014 9:22
The Ceremonial Funeral Of Former British Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher

Rory Stewart is no soft-touch. When he was elected chairman of the Defence Select Committee, it was thought that he would hold the government and NATO’s feet to the fire.… Continue reading

28 Comments

Watch: Douglas Murray and Ben Soffa from Palestinian Solidarity Campaign discuss anti-Semitism

30 July 2014 19:16
jud

In this week’s Spectator, Melanie Phillips suggests that anti-Semitism is on the rise, fueled by the events in the Middle East. Douglas Murray and Ben Soffa, Secretary of the Palestine… Continue reading

274 Comments

‘Unity at home and strength abroad’. Britain prepares for WW1 by postponing Irish home rule

30 July 2014 17:57
Morning kit inspection at a camp of the Ulster Volunteers Force, the unionist paramilitary force, at Ballywater on 12th July 1914. (Image: Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

The outbreak of war between Austria-Hungary and Serbia in July 1914 forced British politicians to postpone the Amending Bill for Irish home rule. This was momentous because Nationalists and Unionists had… Continue reading

6 Comments

Why won’t the Salmond / Darling debate be shown in England?

30 July 2014 16:15
What would happen to the UK if Scotland votes for independence? Photo: Getty Images.

The future of Britain is at stake, but you wouldn’t know it from how ITV is behaving. On Tuesday, STV will broadcast a live debate between Alex Salmond and the… Continue reading

86 Comments

2 billion reasons to take shooting seriously

30 July 2014 15:26
Image: Getty

When I told our blogs editor about an independent survey claiming that shooting was worth £2 billion to the rural economy, he didn’t believe me. ‘Are you sure it’s not £2 million,… Continue reading

24 Comments

Now that Richard Dawkins is attacking Muslims and feminists, the atheist Left suddenly discover he’s a bigot

30 July 2014 14:36
Villiers

‘Richard Dawkins, what on earth happened to you?’ asks Eleanor Robertson in the Guardian today. Ms Robertson is a ‘feminist and writer living in Sydney’. She follows to the letter… Continue reading

169 Comments

I thought I had contracted Ebola. Life doesn’t get much scarier than that

30 July 2014 14:00
(Photo: SEYLLOU/AFP/Getty)

Juba After an all-night rainstorm in Juba I woke to see the mosquito that bit me in the dark. Now, several days later, a fever returns to me like an… Continue reading

21 Comments

Lunchtime lobbying from Tristram Hunt

30 July 2014 12:29

The search for a new Chairman of the BBC Trust is in utter chaos. After Mr Steerpike revealed that the job description had been altered to insert the ‘Seb Coe… Continue reading

17 Comments

David Cameron hints at tax cuts for Middle England

30 July 2014 11:47
Prime Minster British Prime Minister David Cameron Attends A Rally Before European And Local Elections

The Telegraph’s Christopher Hope tweets the news that David Cameron is open to raising the threshold for the 40p rate: NEWS! PM: “I would love to raise the 40p tax… Continue reading

30 Comments

British farming cannot turn its back on the EU

30 July 2014 11:22

Much has been made of the political debate at the 2014 CLA Game Fair at Blenheim Palace. The attendance of the new Environment Secretary Liz Truss, Ukip leader Nigel Farage… Continue reading

39 Comments

Labour wants you to pay more tax. But what about its tax bill?

30 July 2014 8:53
Ed Miliband's Speech On Reforming Labour's Links With Unions

Westminster has got in a tizz overnight because Andy Burnham has been taped saying that he still favours a ‘death tax’ of 10-15%, on top of 40% inheritance tax, to… Continue reading

70 Comments

Why Ed Miliband’s public image matters

29 July 2014 18:49
Labour leader Ed Miliband addresses delegates at his party's 2011 conference. Image: Getty

For a politician to draw attention to his own deficiencies is a desperate attempt to curry favour with the electorate that has been tried before with dismal consequences. The most… Continue reading

74 Comments

Moeen Ali reminds us that sometimes sport is the only place for politics

29 July 2014 18:46
Moeen Ali. (Image: Getty)

Moeen Ali, the England cricketer, faces a possible reprimand after the International Cricket Council (ICC), the game’s governing body, censured him for wearing two wristbands, one saying ‘Save Gaza’, the other… Continue reading

114 Comments

The perverse consequences of punishing the banks

29 July 2014 17:20
A banker is hung in effigy as part of an art installation in Miami, Florida. Image: Getty

Lloyds Banking Group is to pay fines of £218 million for fixing interest rates including Libor (the rate at which banks lend to one another) the Financial Conduct Authority and… Continue reading

34 Comments

The three parent technique is genetic modification. Will parliament confront this?

29 July 2014 16:19
DNA Testing

If I were choosing a third parent for a baby, you know, I’d be inclined to choose one of the Williams sisters — the top-notch tennis players. If you want… Continue reading

22 Comments

Ed Miliband’s ‘new politics’ update

29 July 2014 15:31
Labour Leader Ed Miliband Speech At The Science Museum

Derision met Labour when news emerged that more than half of its prospective parliamentary candidates are former special advisers, party workers, researchers, lobbyists or ex-MPs. Ed Miliband (PPE, Corpus Christi… Continue reading

34 Comments

Who cares whether English commentators like or respect Scotland?

29 July 2014 15:18
20th Commonwealth Games - Opening Ceremony

Because the Commonwealth Games are a thing and because newspapers need to fill their pages every day it is natural, even unavoidable, that they have in recent days been stuffed… Continue reading

256 Comments

The state should send many more poor children to private schools

29 July 2014 15:08
An Overview Of Eton College

Better capital makes us richer. That’s uncontroversial when it comes to fixed capital like machine tools and computers, but it’s also true of human capital. Better educated workers create more… Continue reading

12 Comments

Put people before Burnham’s platitudes: Competition in healthcare benefits patients

29 July 2014 14:05
Andy Burnham is denigrating one of Labour's greatest policy achievements: the extension of private providers in national healthcare. (Image: Getty)

We are used to political parties trying to claim credit for any positive development that happened during their time in office. The Labour Party’s current stance on healthcare is the… Continue reading

54 Comments

Why does Richard Evans choose to vent his spleen on untrained teachers?

29 July 2014 13:51
(Photo: Getty)

I knew that the historian Sir Richard Evans was a rather abrasive and quarrelsome man, but I was staggered by his vicious attack on Michael Gove in the Guardian last… Continue reading

30 Comments

Ukip: David Cameron’s immigration policy is vacuous and cynical posturing

29 July 2014 12:53
'It is time to take back control of our borders. It is time to leave the European Union to become a competitive, engaged, patriotic nation once more,' says Steven Woolfe, Ukip Migration Spokesman. (Image: Richard Pohle - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

I have described David Cameron’s posturing on immigration today as vacuous and cynical, for that is exactly what it is. Cynical because once again he seems determined to fool the… Continue reading

309 Comments

The mysterious case of David Ruffley’s letter

29 July 2014 12:02
David Ruffley at a reception for MPs and MEPs at Buckingham Palace. Image: Steve Parsons/AFP/Getty Images

There is much hullaballoo this morning about how slow the Tories were to act over David Ruffley, the disgraced MP who announced last night that he will not stand for… Continue reading

9 Comments