X

Create an account to continue reading.

Registered readers have access to our blogs and a limited number of magazine articles
For unlimited access to The Spectator, subscribe below

Sign in to continue

Already have an account?

What's my subscriber number?

Subscribe now from £1 a week

Online

Unlimited access to The Spectator including the full archive from 1828

Print

Weekly delivery of the magazine

App

Phone & tablet edition of the magazine

Spectator Club

Subscriber-only offers, events and discounts

View subscription offers

Already a subscriber?

or

Subscribe now for unlimited access

ALL FROM JUST £1 A WEEK

View subscription offers

Thank you for creating your account – To update your details click here to manage your account

Thank you for creating an account – Your subscriber number was not recognised though. To link your subscription visit the My Account page

X

Login

Don't have an account? Sign up
X

Subscription expired

Your subscription has expired. Please go to My Account to renew it or view subscription offers.

X

Forgot Password

Please check your email

If the email address you entered is associated with a web account on our system, you will receive an email from us with instructions for resetting your password.

If you don't receive this email, please check your junk mail folder.

X

It's time to subscribe.

You've read all your free Spectator magazine articles for this month.

Subscribe now for unlimited access – from just £1 a week

Subscribe now for unlimited access

Online

Print

Weekly delivery of the magazine

App

Phone & tablet edition of the magazine

Spectator Club

X

Sign up

What's my subscriber number? Already have an account?

X

Your subscriber number is the 8 digit number printed above your name on the address sheet sent with your magazine each week. If you receive it, you’ll also find your subscriber number at the top of our weekly highlights email.

Entering your subscriber number will enable full access to all magazine articles on the site.

If you cannot find your subscriber number then please contact us on customerhelp@subscriptions.spectator.co.uk or call 0330 333 0050. If you’ve only just subscribed, you may not yet have been issued with a subscriber number. In this case you can use the temporary web ID number, included in your email order confirmation.

You can create an account in the meantime and link your subscription at a later time. Simply visit the My Account page, enter your subscriber number in the relevant field and click 'submit changes'.

If you have any difficulties creating an account or logging in please take a look at our FAQs page.

Coffee House

Britain’s great university rip-off

16 May 2013

6:34 AM

16 May 2013

6:34 AM

The mis-selling of higher education is one of the least remarked-upon scandals of our time, but anyone under 40 should be familiar with the concept. You’re told, at school, that a degree will make you far better-off. Politicians even put a price on it: a degree will make you, on average, £100,000 better-off in your lifetime. But this is a fake figure, produced by mashing together law and medicine degrees with others. And when you get to university, you find the ‘tuition’ involves being asked to sit in crowded lecture theatres (or watch on a video in an overflow room) and be told to go read books. This isn’t the case for all students, of course, but it roughly describes the case for those who are lured into dubious degrees that serve neither students or society and do not much impress employers. The students find themselves not much more employable, but they are stuck with the debt.

Now that students are being asked to pay up to £9,000 for their coursework, they’re beginning to ask if it’s worth the money. That’s why the Which/HEPI survey, which came out yesterday, is worth remarking upon. It surveyed 26,000 students in 103 of Britain’s 164 universities and colleges. It found that some maths courses offer 22 hours of tuition while others offer 13 hours. A third of students say that, if they’d known what their course was going to be like, they’d have chosen another. One in ten undergraduates believe they have been misled by their university. The average student workload – 30 hours per week – is 10 hours less than the government’s recommended average. Conclusion: an awful lot of British students are being ripped off.

The key findings are below:-

[Alt-Text]

Courses worse than expected

The report, like everything from Which, is well worth reading (PDF). But I’d like to add one more thing –  the actual figures on the value of a degree. It’s from a little-publicised study carried out by Vince Cable’s department a couple of years ago and shows (as you’d expect) that those taught hard-to-acquire skills like engineering, law, medicine and dentistry do end up earning more than those who started work as teenagers. But arts degrees really don’t make you that better-off. Men who studied history, like yours truly, are hardly any better-off at all and men who study creative art and design are actually worse-off.

Graduate premiums

The figures can be found on p56 of this report and deserve wider circulation, certainly amongst the school-leavers who are told there is some binary difference between the salary of a graduate and non-graduate.

In most cases, a university education is worth it – and the courses are appreciated. But we are, finally, beginning to take a closer, harsher look at the universities whose degrees do not offer value for money. This is as David Willetts would have wanted. The letters MA after your name do not, of themselves, mean more money.

Of course you can say that degrees have a far wider, social value. In my case, the value of my history degree lay in the chance to work on the student newspaper and discover journalism. But politicians who urge students to take on all this debt should be clear about the tangible benefits, rather than repeat a £100,000 figure which has the potential to mislead.

Give something clever this Christmas – a year’s subscription to The Spectator for just £75. And we’ll give you a free bottle of champagne. Click here.

Show comments
Close